Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My passenger seat got very wet (left sunroof open and it rained). Now it has dried out, the leather looks a little stressed and dry.

Can anyone recommend a good product to help bring the leather back to life and keep it supple

Thanks

·
Registered
89 Posts
Wet Seats

Yes, the best leather conditioner is a seat cover ;)

Ever thought about "Wet Okole"? or the Super Vest (sheepskins)?

My leather is nude and supple. ;)

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Lexol leather conditioner is good. Probably @ your local hardware store.

Plenty of other good brands, too. Folks like the Zaino but it won't be immediately available (mail order only). You might grab some Eagle One (hardware store, Target, or Long's-type drug store) if you can't find the Lexol easily.

Mother's and Meguiar's OK, too. Not my faves but you probably should get some sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
sars said:
My passenger seat got very wet (left sunroof open and it rained). Now it has dried out, the leather looks a little stressed and dry.

Can anyone recommend a good product to help bring the leather back to life and keep it supple

Thanks
Sars-

sorry to hear that. WHOAH! That is NOT good...rain water usually have contaminates in it and when sitting on car paints or upholstery can cause damage:eek:

hopefully when you let the rain water dry that you soak up the excess water as much as you could with a towel and park the car under the shade or cool area to air dry instead of letting the car bake in the SUN. <----letting the leather dry in the SUN can cause MAJOR deterioration of your leather. If this happens, one thing that you can do is to replenish the leather the best way that you can. Leather has natural oils in it to keep it supple. When the leather dries out...you replenish the leather with conditioner that contains nutrients and oils that will bring the color, feel and looks back to life.

since your leather is now dried, my recommendation is to go to a leather shop and get a GOOD leather conditioner that contains MINK oil in it. This will totally do the trick. Once the leather is "wetted" with the conditioner, apply a good leather protectant on it. This should bring your leather back to its almost original stratus.

Good luck:)

·
Registered
33 Posts
try these

try these
Z-9 'LEATHER SOFT' SPRAY CLEANER
Z-10 "LEATHER IN A BOTTLE" TREATMENT AND CONDITIONER
heard good results for the above products

you can check it on in :rolleyes:
http://www.zainobros.com

·
Registered
89 Posts
Leather Protection

Actually, something similar happened to the leather seats in my Mercedes. A water pipe busted in the garage (water heater) which caused water damage to the seats in the car. After drying out the interior, I used mink oil. Later I treated it with a motorcycle product called: 303 Aerospace Protectant. You can find it at: http://www.chilhowee.net/303.htm
I've used this protectant on the MDX seats (ebony) and the dash board with great results.

When my wife bought her Yukon, she insisted on seat covers (despite the leather upholstery). Knowing that the kids were going to go swimming a lot, I opted to purchase the Wet Okole seat covers, which are a nice alternative to other products out there.
http://www.wetokole.com/

Sorry to hear about the rain water. Perhaps some good saddle soap prior to using the mink oil and the 303 Aerospace Protectant?

Good luck.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I can't believe it! I read this thread last night and wouldn't you know it but this morning I found the rear window of my wife's X down and we had had a big thunder storm which soaked the back seat and carpet. She immediately wiped everything down with a towel as suggested above and I told her to keep it out of the sun. Now I need to go find a leather conditioner to apply. In her defense, she hasn't had a car with rear windows to worry about in 12 years. Unfortunately she learned a lesson the hard way, but I am still considering taking the X away from her. I guess this means that I should finish cleaning out the garage that she was suppose to.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts