Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In asking about the Midnight Blue Touring/Navi/RES I want, I was just told by a local dealer that the west coast port workers strike has had a seriousimpact on the MDX production, but this is the firat time anyone has said this.

Here is what he said in email. Anyone knowledgeable care to comment?

Dear Mr. Sullivan,

We should have one in the Dec. build. However, at the moment I have no idea
when we will be getting any of the November or December cars, or for that
matter the balance of our October allocation. The labor problems at the
west coast ports have wreaked havoc on our business. The MDX assembly plant
is currently operating 2 to 3 days a week. The transmissions and some other
vital parts for the MDX are manufactured in Japan and are currently sitting
on ships off San Pedro. The estimates of when operations will return to
normal are as much as 16 weeks.

Hence, the bottom line is we really have no idea when we will get the cars
that are allocated to us. I will keep your name on file and get back to you
when I know something more definitive.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Rail said:
I doubt it.. they're brought in via rail to the West Coast.. they cross the border into the US in Buffallo.

Rail
I think they meant the cars are delayed due to parts shortages, not because of transportation of the MDXs.
I thought once in the US, all vehicles are delivered by truck transporters. But I could be wrong. After all, you are 'Rail' !
:)

·
Registered
391 Posts
The sales person will try and create a sense of urgency. If they can make you think the vehicles are in short supply, it creates that urgency that you must act now or you will lose out. At least that is what they taught us in banking.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But this has the opposite effect. He's saying that he has no idea when they'll be in, but it could be as much as 16 weeks away.

And unless they're trying to go over MSRP, everyone is selling at the same price.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just spoke with a dealer in Chicago and I asked if they were seeing many delays with the X so far. He said the X is doing fine, but they expect deliveries of other Acura models to "dry up" this winter. He said they may only get 10-15 TLs in January and they sell more than that in a month.

Perhaps we are lucking out due to only needing limited imported parts.

Not sure how much of this is true, just though I'd pass it on.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Delay depending on colour

I was told by my dealer that there will delays depending on the colour you ordered (at least in Canada). If you order black or silver, the first stocks are out already and is not really affected by the strike. If you order Midnight Blue and Slate Grey, it is delayed for another 3 weeks due to the strike, as they can't get enough parts imported from Japan.

Mine is supposed to come already, but will have to wait for another 3 more weeks. So sit tight!

·
Registered
29 Posts
We got our VIN yesterday for a 2003 MBP base that had an original production date of Oct 20-24. We hope to take delivery next Wednesday which is about a week later than originally anticipated. According to our dealer, the dock strike had very little effect on MDX production.

Sue

1 - 8 of 8 Posts