Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys - My MDX started making a weird whining noise when I turn the steering wheel either left or right. If I grab the wheel at 12 oclock and turn it a quarter left or right, it starts to whine like a car is backing up. I don't know how to really describe it, so the closest is like a car driving in reverse and the sound it makes. If I'm parked or driving straight, I don't hear it, only when turning at a low speed that I can hear the noise.

My 2nd Gen has about 94k miles, so is this something a wear/tear going towards 100k miles for the steering pump?

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Find a video on youtube with a similar sound. Nobody can really help you with a sound you cannot describe.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
I know exactly what it is. You need to do a power steering fluid flush. Maybe check you ps reservoir first and if it’s too low then top it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
If the fluid is low, that typically means there is a leak in the power steering system. I would check all the components and lines and see if any are leaking.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the fluid is low, that typically means there is a leak in the power steering system. I would check all the components and lines and see if any are leaking.
Thanks for the replies guys - - yea, I was thinking the same too about the fluid being low, if it's low, where is it going? I'm due for a service soon, so I'll have it checked out.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i didn't find any leaks, but the fluid was low, so I got some new fluid and poured it in, drove around and the noise is now gone........good call guys.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi folks (first timer)! I've been having the same problem and have taken it in to the Acura dealer for the 4th time. They claim that they have flushed out the power steering fluids, checked the power steering system etc... After taking it home same problem occurs every time. The best way to describe my noise is similar to the ones above: a whining/moaning noise coming from the steering wheel (slight turns back n forth) when backing up or going forward at little or no speed. It almost sounds like a Star Wars Lightsaber sound.
Took it to my friend (trustworthy mechanic) who has worked on MDXs before and he diagnosed it as the Rack and Pinion. After addressing this find to the Acura dealer he states that is a "NORMAL" sound straight out of the factory. He said I'm welcome to come in and test other similar cars to hear the same noise. Now, I bought this 2012 MDX about 8 months ago (certified w/48K miles) and still under warranty.
Am I being played by the dealer??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts