Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started to hear metallic chatter noise when accelerating (gentle or hard) on highway speed 60mph+. The noise is more pronounced during rain or wet road. Local driving no noise. I remembered I went through a long pothole that was across the entire width of the road at 60mph. The MDX left unscathered, but there were like 8-9 cars disabled on the breakdown lane. I can't recall this noise happens before or after.

Is this a loose heat shield?

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
190 Posts
Most likely. My 08 has that noise. It’s the heat shield on the rear Pre-cat. So annoying, happens during various load on the engine and sometimes when cranking up and idling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Wilsoncc

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will take a look under the car to confirm when the weather is warm enough. I've read through some past postings about the issue. Damn! Something so simple, but a major pain to replace. If the issue confirmed, I will definitely use the stainless steel hose clamp as suggested.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Most likely. My 08 has that noise. It’s the heat shield on the rear Pre-cat. So annoying, happens during various load on the engine and sometimes when cranking up and idling.

Hey Techmechanic, I have an '09 with the same issue. I was told the same thing that it was the heat shield. I attempted putting a hose clamp on to where i thought the noise was coming from, but noise was still there. Would you happen to have a pic on where to place the clamp?
Thanks....much appreciated

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I may have found the problem. The brake pads wore down.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have the same rattle others are talking about. For some, removing the bottom half of the shield on the cat will help clear rocks/pebbles that might have got stuck in there. In my case it was determined that the flex pipe has rusted out from the inside. This is surprisingly a very common issue for our cars.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts