Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Weight of MDX alloy wheel

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  JTM 
#1 ·
Anyone know the weight of the wheel only? Base or touring... Thanks!

#5 ·
materials used

Dale

depending on material used on that rim. if you used Alloy/aluminum then chances are it will be heavier than the stock rim simply because width will require more materials to make the rim. Whereas you rim manufacturers use exotic composit like carbon fibre or kevlar or magnesium..chances are it will be super light...

#6 ·
Isn't it true that the MDX stock wheels are designed to help dissipate heat faster (better), thus keeping the rotors from warping over a period of time?

If you put custom rims on, do the majority of the after market manufacturer's rims help or hurt heat dissipation?

I also heard that aftermarket rims can be harder to maintain proper wheel balancing on some types of vehicles. With my '88 Legend I always had to go to a mechanic that could do on the car balancing at higher speeds, otherwise I would get bad vibration between 55-65mph.

#7 ·
heat dissipation on rims for MDX

I think what Acura is referring to here is the Acura's rim ability to vortex air into the rotors/brake discs to keep the drums from warping...

If you look at the design...it is a simple spoke design with plenty of pockets to let the cool air flow over the rotors to keep it cool.

I think as long as you dont put any aftermarket wheels that does not have enought "vent" on the wheels then you should be fine... with today's aftermarket performance wheels, almost 90 percent of the wheels have plenty of holes, vents, gills or spoke designs that allow ample cool air to rotors. This methodology is learned from racing of course. :D

#8 ·
after market wheel balance

With any wheels, stock or aftermarket, you have to make sure that the proper wheel weight is applied and balanced by a wheel machine at 50, 60 and 80 that is the requirement for good balance to prevent steering wheel vibration at 50, 60 or 80MPH.

with aftermarket wheels the lead weights are usally flat pieces of weight that are applied on the flat surface of the rim inside of the well versus on the stock which is on the edge of the rim.

#9 ·
hhwc said:
Anyone know the weight of the wheel only? Base or touring... Thanks!
I have a touring wheel in transit from Tim. According to the UPS tracking system its weight is 8.00 lbs!

I guess it looses a little weight for the long journey!

#12 ·
Sounds the rim will gain its weight once you open up the box.

I guess I could have my baby boy lifting the BOX [with rim ] as exercising while it is still in the seal box. :2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.