Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
My 2002 does not have weeping mirrors...

The only real noticeable thing I have with the 2002,
that most 2001's have, is the gas tank thud.....

·
Registered
250 Posts
Thud.....

sbyron,

Due to the design of the gas tank, when the gasoline sloshes
around inside the tank, it makes a thump like noise. The noise
is hard to describe. As I am coming to a stop, such as pulling
into a parking space and I press the brake pedal or sometimes
when I put the car into reverse and start the vehicle moving,
there is a thump type noise coming from the rear. At times,
the noise sounds as if I have bumped against something.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I have a 2002 (built in Feb) with no weeping mirror. I too have a thud from the sloshing gas, however, if it were not for this forum, I would never have noticed it! It is quite subtle.

I picked up my X exactly one month ago today, and I am still having as much fun with it as I did on day 1! Happy to report that I have not experienced any of the problems noted on this forum (except this gas thud).

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
Maik said:
I have a 2002 (built in Feb) with no weeping mirror. I too have a thud from the sloshing gas, however, if it were not for this forum, I would never have noticed it! It is quite subtle.

I picked up my X exactly one month ago today, and I am still having as much fun with it as I did on day 1! Happy to report that I have not experienced any of the problems noted on this forum (except this gas thud).
Ditto, picked up my X last Wed and ask the Service Manager about the TSB and he said for my car considering when it was built it should not be affected.

·
Registered
10 Posts
No more weeping in 2002

New non weeping mirrors for 2002 that were re-designed to quiet the wind noise. I suspect the primary reason why the re-design is to correct the weeping mirrors though, but to publicly state that this was the reason would cause every owner whether they had a problem with the weeping mirrors or not to return for warranty replacement. I think the problem is more so when the X is taken into the car wash where through water pressure, more water is retained in the mirrors, when washing the X at home, the problem is not as bad.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I have a 2001 MDX purchased on December 13th 2000. I have never had a problem with weeping mirrors. I also have not noticed any excessive wind noise. I do have the gas tank slosh. I may lower wind noise due to the fact that I have a base MDX without a roof rack. I always hand wash my MDX so it may be that my mirrors would weep if I used a high pressure car wash method?

·
Registered
10 Posts
High pressure water at the car wash definitely causes the mirrors to fill up with more water as opposed to using the garden hose at home.
As far as I know, because of the complaints of the wind noise on the 01 MDX, the mirrors were redesigned, the rack was moved, and the windshield is thicker to quiet the X for 02.

·
Registered
78 Posts
My 2001 SSMDX has always had pesky weeping mirrors. In fact, it got worse after they executed the TSB! Acura Service is now replacing the old mirrors with the 2002 version. I have yet to wash it again but I am hopeful. I wonder if this will reduce the wind noise too :)

·
Registered
359 Posts
replacement

WEN,
Are you saying that they replaced your 01 mirrors w/ 02's? I didn't think that they are of similar design to do so.

Just curious. I have an 01 and they marginally weep. Probably wouldn't have noticed w/o this site. Got mine in July.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yes. They seem to fit like they always belonged there. I didn't even have to readjust the memory settings. Now do they leak? Any vestige of weeping were lost because I had them wash and wax the vehicle. I'll be washing again it next week though.

As a side benefit, I have found that the high speed (>80mph) wind noise has been reduced by a noticeable amount. The '02 mirrors are more angular and seemingly more aerodynamic.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts