Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Finally, the last piece of the 2001 MDX Puzzle.... I hope all these are fixed in 02s. Waiting patiently since July for an 02.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have been monitoring this site since the end of 2001 but, I have not logged on for a month or so. If I read this right it would appear that Acura has recognized the weeping mirror problem and will correct same. Am I reading this right?
This has bugged me ( A LOT ) since I purchased my BLACK MDX in March. Anyone had any success in having this done? I purchased my MDX from Cerritos Acura in Cerritos, Ca.
Looks like I need to stay in touch!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Thanks for posting the TSB on the mirrors - now it is officially a warranty fix!

rannyk - I don't know if I have the problem yet, since I just picked up my Black MDX 2 days ago. I am sure that since the TSB came out, if I do discover the problem, then it will be a warranty fix. If I were you I would call the dealer and advise them of the TSB & bring it in to get fixed. I also suggest you print out a copy to take with you from the link - in case the are "unaware" of the TSB.
Good luck!!:)

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
rannyk said:
... If I read this right it would appear that Acura has recognized the weeping mirror problem and will correct same. Am I reading this right? ...
That is correct.

The TSB was issued October 15; it appears that Zoomer, MHarnois, and groverahoward are the ones who have had it done thus far.Click here for the thread with their descriptions.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have an appointment for Friday 10/26

I am nervous about this fix because it looks very involved, and all of the cautions in the TSB about how the mirrors will whistle if they cut too deep and such....and my dealer is acting completely oblivious to the problem and claims they have never heard of the problem before. I had to fax them a copy of the TSB. I hope this does the trick. This is my only real complaint with this car.

Thanks for posting this information.

·
Registered
137 Posts
[/B][/QUOTE][B]I am nervous about this fix[/B]

merrillcrosbie said:
I am nervous about this fix because it looks very involved, and all of the cautions in the TSB about how the mirrors will whistle if they cut too deep and such....and my dealer is acting completely oblivious to the problem and claims they have never heard of the problem before.
My appt is scheduled for Oct 31 I will also have my first 7500 mile servicing.

My dealer's service dept was unaware of the weeping mirror syndrome and were surprised that there was a TSB on the subject. I'll be the first repair they make and I'm hoping they don't cause other problems ie whistling etc.

Were there any complications noticed by any of you who have already undergone the repair?

merrillcrosbie would you follow up and describe your experience once your repair is complete? Thanks

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Whistle Risk

Worst case is the dealer gets too aggressive with the "dremelling" of the new channel, goes "outside the lines" on the TSB, and causes whistling. In which case, the dealer orders 2 new mirrors and tries again.

Having just washed and Zaino'd the MDX yesterday, and wiped off the water whip and drip 3x since then, I think it's worth a shot. The amount of water accumulating in the mount is remarkable.

Looking forward to the early reports of success from you folks. I'm going to wait til the 7500 mile service myself (maybe) -- hopefully our dealer will have sufficient practice by then :)

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Suggestion

If one is nervous about the dealership messing up the mirror during the weeping fix, please consider if you can wait to get your mirror fixed (e.g. can you tolerate it for longer).

You figure that practice makes perfect, and that it's better if the techs try the fix on other vehicles before messing with your's. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Doesn't appear to be an option...

Waiting for the service department to fix several MDX mirrors before mine doesn't seem to be an option because they claim they have never heard about the problem before, so people are not clamoring at their doorstep to have this fixed. I think most owners just live with it.

And, the dealership certainly isn't going to chase people down to fix the problem if they don't complain about it. It isn't a recall, it's just a TSB.

I could wait a hell of a long time if I wait for the dealership to get smart on this on their own. I am going to have to force the issue myself. But, I don't like it.

The worst case mentioned previously is truly a worst case...I suspect if they damage a mirror and have to replace it, it would take them many many months to get one, or godforbid two!

I wonder if they damaged one if they would just replace them with the 02 model mirrors? Hmmmm....maybe I should encourage them to cut too deeply.....

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Quite true. I'd bet a lot of folks not on this system don't notice the weeping mirror problems, or just live with it, and aren't aware of a TSB coming out. Heck, a lot of Acura dealerships aren't aware of it let alone a TSB, as you mentioned.

I guess if you live in a more heavy MDX area with acknowledged acuramdx.org members you let someone else be the guinea pig :D

·
Registered
679 Posts
Has anyone thought about performing the fix themselves? It doesn't look like it requires any special tools or parts, other than the Honda Liquid Gasket which apparently is only used in case you mistakenly cut a hole in step # 7. Does anyone know where I can find page 20-6 of the service manual referenced in step # 2 for removal of the door panel? I installed the OEM tweeter kit in my old CR-V which also involved removal of the door panel, and it would have been kind of tricky without the istructions for removal of the door panel. There were a couple of tricks to getting the door lock/handle off as I recall. I'd rather not go through the trouble of dropping my 'X off for the better part of a day if I could just do it myself, plus I share Merrill's concern of not wanting my 'X to go under the knife as my dealer's guinea pig. I'd like to think I would be a more careful surgeon. Of course, if I mess up I won't have anyone to blame but myself :p

·
Registered
183 Posts
I can not wait any longer.

This has been my only issue with the MDX. I could have lived with the 'Thud'. I am taking it in next week for the 7500 mile service and this TSB. Then this will be as close to perfect as it can get.

The only thing I worry about is obtaining a dealer installed scratch! Hopefully, that will not happen.

·
Registered
18 Posts
just got my call from acura today telling me to take my x to the dealer for weeping mirror repair , my fingers are crossed hopeing they dont make it worse, has anyone had the job completed yet?:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
just got my call from acura today telling me to take my x to the dealer for weeping mirror repair , my fingers are crossed hopeing they dont make it worse, has anyone had the job completed yet?:)

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
We've got 4 yrs or 50K miles to get it right!

Guys, if they screw it up, they have to replace the mirrors as Worm pointed our so quit worrying. The average Acura technician has got to know more about the vehicle than we forum folks (@$75 per hour they should) so give them a chance. Other than BellTeck's horror story how many people have had shoddy repairs at an Acura dealer? Not too many plus a weeping mirror is hardly a life and death issue. Sorry if I sound a little snippy but I just got back from a country where many people live in tin shacks with no plumbing or electricity so whining about weeping mirrors does not register quite the same way as is use too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Try the fix on the owner's MDX

When I called my dealer's service dept. about my Acura Legend,
the service manager mentioned the Mirror TSB (we had talked about the problem several times before).

He suggested that they try the procedure on the owner's MDX first -- before doing mine. I like that idea !!! :D

·
Registered
594 Posts
Good point

Good point remery. It's all relative. Excuse me if you already discussed this, but where did you just return from?

·
Registered
219 Posts
remery, you have totally missed the point.

I bought this MDX over other models because I hate taking it to the dealerships for service. I didn't ever want to see the dealership again after I took delivery. And, I have had many many cars that have gone into service for one problem, and came back with several more. So I am concerned it will happen again. But, this niggly little problem is a big enough pain that I am going to insist the company that I paid all that money to fixes it.

Don't lecture me on how petty this is in comparison to world hunger or the current crises. If you don't want to read about it, go read a different thread or sell your damned MDX and donate the money to the charity of your choice. Otherwise get off your high horse.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
About this Discussion
35 Replies
24 Participants
ra2dale
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing