Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I generally wash my MDX every 2 weeks and always notice that after drying, there is a trail of water that drips from both mirrors for a while. This usually is noticeable for about 1 day or less. After drying the whole MDX, I usually have to constantly dry the door panels below the outside mirrors. I know that the 2001's had a weeping mirror problem, which I believe continued to drip water for a few days.

Have other '02 owners notice this dripping water from the outside mirrors?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have an '02 built in late July. I've only washed it once so far...there was a brief stream after water was sprayed on the area, but it quickly stopped and I didn't notice any more water coming from the mirrors. I'm gonna wash it again tonight and I'll keep an eye out....

Rgds,

JohnW

·
** BANNED ** (enough is enough)
275 Posts
All the '02 models with the more squarish shaped mirrors have a notch cut in the lower trim lip for drainage. This problem could be because of deformed "grommets" or some kind of blockage like wax build up. One thing that I do with my truck is to blow compressed air in the mirror cavities, and that gets rid of a whole lot of water that's pooled in there.

Rob

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rob,

Thanks for the response. I'll mention this to my dealer the next time I get service. It's strange that when I called another dealer that was close to me and asked about weeping mirrors, the so-called "experienced" service advisor never heard of such a problem on the 2001 MDX's. I couldn't believe his not knowing about this problem. I told him that was one of the reasons the mirrors were changed in the 2002 models.

BTW, what is your opinion about using regular gas in the MDX? I've used it and do not notice any difference.

·
** BANNED ** (enough is enough)
275 Posts
I told him that was one of the reasons the mirrors were changed in the 2002 models.
Actually, they could have made the notch and changed the grommet shape without the mirror physically looking any different. It was changed for wind noise issues. The same mirror shape appeared on the 2002 TL as well. And the CL received a similar change.

Regular vs. premium gas...ahhh yes, the age old debate. You can "get away with" regular, but may lose some power. Maybe 5-20 horsepower. You may not hear any pinging ( I do during in hotter weather), because the knock sensor will retard the timing to compensate for the gas. But, if you're not doing any towing, or anything else that requires alot of putting your foot into it, I suppose regular isn't going to hurt it. But of course premium is recommended.

Rob

·
Registered
55 Posts
No problem at all with my 02, have had it two weeks and two washings.
Rob - Welcome aboard, I think you'll be called upon to answer lots of questions.

2002 Black/Saddle, Touring, moon roof deflector, rear deflector, mud guards, side steps, bsm, wheel locks, cargo liner, wood trim, wood shift knob

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
no weeping mirror problem here, so far so good.

JohnW, my SS was also built in late July, maybe built one after the other????

1 - 8 of 8 Posts