Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a problem with the Weathertech mats and was hoping someone could tell me if I have the wrong impression about them. I ordered them for my 2003 MDX from hondaacuraworld. (BTW, they took about 2 weeks to arrive!).

These mats do not seem to fit well at all! I expected them to be pre-cut to fit, but they are not. Yes, they fit OK in front, but they don't even fit into the space in the rear! They are too deep and don't sit flat on the floor.

I read all the posts here comparing the Acura mats to these and determined that the Weathertech mats were best. I especially liked the fact that the front were said to be wider -- but in fact they don't even cover the entire width of the floor!

I called Ray Laks and spoke to someone who said that these are the only Weathertech mats they carry and they are the right ones (W4 and W25).

Do you all really find these mats to be acceptable? Unless I am missing something here I'm going to return them and just use the stock carpet mats and simply replace them when they get too worn/dirty.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

·
Registered
449 Posts
For the rear mats, did you cut them to fit? The rear mats all have grooves in them and are very easy to cut with a scissor.
The front ones are better IMO then the OEM ones as it covers the "dead pedal".

·
Registered
763 Posts
Frank,

if you "read all the threads" regarding WeatherTechs, you most definitely saw a thread where I, among others, posted pictures and reviews of the mats (front ones in my case)
Front WT mats are about 1 inch narrower than stock mats. They do, however, provide much better coverage around the dead pedal area (upper left corner)

Because they are narrow, they tend to slide that 1" towards the center console. Not a big deal for me. All in all I am happy with them. Of course, I never paid $40+ for floor mats before :)

Sorry, cannot help you with the rear ones.

BTW, the mats I have have a little tab on one end that says CUT THIS TAB OFF BEFORE INSTALLING See if rear mats also have something similar - maybe it will help the fit.

·
Registered
181 Posts
As Kishino pointed out, there is some trimming required for the rear mats. The directions contain an illustration, but I can tell you it's real easy. Also, the left rear mat is slightly different than the right rear mat in that there's a tab that fits under the right mat, effectively making one mat that fits all the way across. If you trim them right, they will sit flat on the floor.

I couldn't be happier with mine. They contain most of the dirt and moisture. When I pull them up in the spring, the carpet is extremely clean.

·
Registered
63 Posts
note that the weathertech mats have like 9 different templates. and they basically choose the best one for your car. the rear ones, you may have to cut.

personally, i do not think that they are the best mats ever or anything. they're good. but i saw some at target that looked pretty decent also... (i think Car&Driver label?)

·
Registered
117 Posts

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
ghotie said:
As Kishino pointed out, there is some trimming required for the rear mats. The directions contain an illustration, but I can tell you it's real easy. Also, the left rear mat is slightly different than the right rear mat in that there's a tab that fits under the right mat, effectively making one mat that fits all the way across. If you trim them right, they will sit flat on the floor.

I couldn't be happier with mine. They contain most of the dirt and moisture. When I pull them up in the spring, the carpet is extremely clean.
The trimming is easy, but look at the mats carefully - one member, who will remain unnamed (oh, what the heck, it was texrb :)), managed to trim the wrong part off.

The Weathertechs are great for holding dirt and water - my OEM mats now spend most of the year in the basement, I take them out for weddings and stuff. ("Hey, guess what, family, we're going to use the real mats!" :rolleyes:

·
Registered
43 Posts
frankb3 said:
These mats do not seem to fit well at all! I expected them to be pre-cut to fit, but they are not. Yes, they fit OK in front, but they don't even fit into the space in the rear! They are too deep and don't sit flat on the floor.
Same problems here on an '02. I actually ordered two sets of rears on the advice of the WeatherTech website (since fixed) that one would fit the 3rd row. IMNSHO, the rears do not fit. They can be made to fit less poorly, but not to truly fit. Trimming the indicated areas improves the fit, but one would have to trim some of the water retaining areas for a perfect fit - thus defeating the whole purpose. Don't even get me started on the 3rd row - there would be ~40% of the original mat left and all water retention would be defeated.

FWIW, WeatherTech support was awesome, they RMA'd my 3rd row at their cost (and I believe updated their site to show the lack of proper fitment) and replaced one set which was poorly manufactured (molding compound and roughness).

I am still stunned that Honda can't make a set of rubber floor mats in anything other than Black. For crying out loud! If there were genuine mats in a tan color which fit perfectly, I'd buy them and ditch the WeatherTechs.

Richard

1 - 8 of 8 Posts