Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hey Guys,

I know this posts are very old but i am thinking to replace the brake pads on my 2016 MDX/Tech AWD, at 52K and never replace or flush brake fluid.
I don't have any noises yet but the brakes doesn't bite like when the vehicle is new. I am not sure because the pads are worn or do i need the flush the brake fluid?

When stops, it doesn't seem like the brakes bite in immediately, hope ya know what i'm talking about. So i am not sure due to the pads or need a new brake fluid or rotors?

Please advice.
Thanks

Hardly doubt a 2016 requires a brake flush but its really dependent on humidity.. Brake fluid absorbs water from the air and starts to break down.

Bite depends on how good your pads are, More aggressive pads will bite harder but at the expense of wearing out the rotor faster. Fluid condition wont affect the pad bite but rather the brake feel. Brake feel can be explained on how much pressure you need to reach your desired brake force, Bad fluid will cause a variance on brake force = brake feel at the pedal.

·
Registered
251 Posts
This summer will be 3 years i own the car, so i think it's about time to do the brakes fluid flush.
Hopefully it will help somehow on the brakes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I replaced my rear pads with these exact Carquest Wearever pads about two years ago. They have been great. Stopping power is really good, and they produce very little brake dust. After two years and about 44K miles they are still in great shape and have a ton of life left. I also used their Carquest platinum painted rotors and was happy with them.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I bought a second set after the original... They are pretty good pads overall but they are too noisy when hot, Driving around Tijuana (Same road elevation changes as San Francisco) and they start to make some irritating metallic squeak sounds, It goes away once they cool down..

And brake fade is still Above-Average but nowhere near my golden standard aka EBC Brake Pads.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
These pads cost $80. I really don't see why these are desirable at all when you have OEM or Akebono costs about the same or less. I bought OEM last time, but I shall try Akebono next time. There is nothing wrong with OEM pads. They are not perfect because they do not come with new hardware. AKEBONO ACT1280 comes with stainless hardware. Same stuff. This is a better deal.

At the same price level, anyone tried Brembo? It should be a decent choice. Another good choice is Advics. It is the OEM maker for many calipers and pads for Toyota and Honda. AC Delco always seems to be overpriced from my past experience. Centric, Wagner and Powerstop belong to a lower tier. I guess. If one wants to save some money, I would recommend Beck/Arnley. I have not used their brake parts, but I used their suspension parts like control arms and wheel bearings. Pretty satisfied, esp. given their lower, often mid-tier, price.

The tough issue is choice of rotors. There aren't many decent aftermarket choices. I had to use Centric before. The Power Stop drilled and slotted rotors do look nice though.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Akebono pads which is the OEM Supplier are simply average as they are designed to LAST, LIFESPAN is their priority. They dont have the bite of the Wearevers and have sub-par brake fade.. To 90% of the people using OEM pads are non-issues since they are not likely to push the pads too far they just want a long lasting material, But to people that drive spirited and enjoy good corners the OEM (Akebono) pads are not ideal...

Thus why look for better options.
As for using brembos? my parts supplier dont carry them, So I havent used them, They are 5dlls cheaper MSRP but once I add shipping they are more expensive than the readily available Wearevers. That is my main reason to use them they are good and they work well for what I want... If I am spending more money on brake pads it would be for EBCs.

I am using Centric Rotors as well they are fine and they withstand the abuse so far.

·
Registered
71 Posts
About a month ago I tried to be cheap and use the Silver version of these Wearever brake pads and I have been regretting it mainly because of the squealing noise. I finally decided to get the Platinum version. I'll put them on tonight and see what a difference it makes.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts