Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Updated to IOS 12. Google maps app shows up on screen but not Waze app. Is there something else that needs to be done to activate?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Google hasn't released the CarPlay-enabled Waze app, yet. It's available in their beta program, so I'd expect it to become public, soon.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Carplay Google Maps Volume

Guys,

I just tried Google Maps on Carplay and it was brilliant. Finally a good reason for me to use Carplay!

But there is one minor snag: the volume for navigation is louder than the music and is distracting (SiriusXM in this case). I tried turning down my iPhone X volume, lowering the volume in the Google Maps app, and lowering the Acura phone integration volume. None of these three makes any difference on the Carplay navigation volume in while using Google Maps.

Anyone have a workaround?

·
Registered
500 Posts
I mute the voice directions, there is plenty of data available at a glance for the next move coming up. This is a non-oem system (in an older car) so not sure if you can mute the voice directions with the Acura unit. I wish there was a way to adjust the number of interruptions...I get it! I'm turning right right soon...geez!

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I mute the voice directions, there is plenty of data available at a glance for the next move coming up. This is a non-oem system (in an older car) so not sure if you can mute the voice directions with the Acura unit. I wish there was a way to adjust the number of interruptions...I get it! I'm turning right right soon...geez!
Yes, while the navigation is speaking directions, you can use the volume wheel on the steering wheel to adjust the navigation volume. The navigation volume is independent of the radio volume.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Guys,

I just tried Google Maps on Carplay and it was brilliant. Finally a good reason for me to use Carplay!

But there is one minor snag: the volume for navigation is louder than the music and is distracting (SiriusXM in this case). I tried turning down my iPhone X volume, lowering the volume in the Google Maps app, and lowering the Acura phone integration volume. None of these three makes any difference on the Carplay navigation volume in while using Google Maps.

How do you engage it? Voice command?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Ok I don’t get it! Is this option available on newest mdx only? I have the 2016 and spent good half hour trying to figure it out! Couldn’t find anything that remotely close allows me to see google maps on the screen.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Ok I don’t get it! Is this option available on newest mdx only? I have the 2016 and spent good half hour trying to figure it out! Couldn’t find anything that remotely close allows me to see google maps on the screen.
This requires Apple CarPlay, which is available on the 2018+ MDX.

Your 2016 does not support it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Guys,

Hi, reading this post, I uppdated to IOS 12 and try on my 2018 Tech.
Google map is not there at all.
Please help.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Please help.
Thanks.
Plug your iPhone in to the USB port with the picture of a phone. Pair with CarPlay, if you haven’t already (different from Bluetooth). Open CarPlay on your infotainment screen. This will project your iPhone screen onto the car. Now you can open Google Maps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Google hasn't released the CarPlay-enabled Waze app, yet. It's available in their beta program, so I'd expect it to become public, soon.

Waze update for CarPlay is now released. Used it this morning on the commute to work. Works brilliantly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Please help.
Thanks.
Download the latest Google Maps version from the App Store to replace the one on your phone.

·
Registered
23 Posts
anyone has pics/video of the waze on CarPlay on both the dual Screen?

i don't have CarPlay as i have a 2016. but wondering how it looks and thinking if it is worth to buy a new updated head unit from acura $$$

thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
CarPlay only displays on the upper screen. The lower screen does not change.

·
Registered
23 Posts
i see..

also found a youtube on it...

it's ok, not that great, as you have to use the joystick instead of a (lower touchscreen), which i think defeats CarPlay(Apple -> usually touch) in itself...

i guess it's not worth $800+-1,000 for that feature add on. i already have the navtool mirroring on the top lcd. it will be about the same as my current waze mirror setup via hdmi

1 - 18 of 18 Posts