Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SHOULD YOU WAIT A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF TIME BEFORE WAXING A NEW FACTORY PAINT FINISH? WHERE CAN YOU ORDER ZAINO PRODUCTS?

·
Registered
339 Posts
octavian said:
Grass....nope, you can do your MDX right away.....go to www.zainobros.com for info and order form.
My salesman said my the new MDX already has clear coating from the factory and the dealer will do "sealant" to prepare for delivery so it is nice and shine.

If I want to use the Zaino, do I apply it on top of the dealer's prep work? The salesman said I won't need to worry about the exterior for at least six months.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Tony, check the Detailing forum for a number of bad experiences that some of us had with dealers doing prep work. Some have advocated Thanks, but no Thanks to dealers doing any type of waxing before delivery.

I, fortunately, had no problems.

One applies wax or acrylic polymers on TOP of the clearcoat....consider it a protectant to both the clearcoat and the paint underneath. A wax and especially a polymer like Zaino will enhance the optical reflectivity of the paint/clearcoat, in addition to providing protection from dust accumulation, etc.

Since you really don't know what a dealer does before delivery, do it yourself....then sit back with a sense of smug satisfaction, then get in your RR MDX and go cruisin' and watch for a lot of admiring eyes! ;)

·
Registered
3,761 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Dealer Prep=profit center

Forget the dealer sealants, protectants, prep fees etc. These are all just products that are no better than the wax or zaino you can put on yourself. Dealers make a big profit on this crap and is no better than wax. Plus the guys on the low end of the pay scale put this on, have no personal interest in your "baby" and if they belt buckle it while leaning across they don't care.

The up side is that doing yourself asap once you receive the car is you go over every inch and will detect any surface problems immediately making a warranty claim easier as it is discovered in a more timely manner.

Enjoy your new "Baby"

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Waxing your new MDX

Grasshopper-

"You must learned how to walk on rice paper before you can jump." Confuscious say.

I recommend using a pure carnauba liquid or cream wax. The frequency of waxing depends on where you live your climate and environment and the amount of exposure your MDX has to direct sunlight. This is also encumbent on the type of color your MDX has.

I recommend using Meguires Carnauda cream wax or The Wax Shop pure Carnauba liquid wax.

Trent

·
Registered
156 Posts
Tried both Meguires and The Wax Shop wax. Granted, the Wax Shop stuff is easy to put on and take off but two weeks later, neither will do what Zaino does...

·
Registered
715 Posts
pros....agree with ya on Zaino. If ya want a carnauba, P21S works great...easy on, easy off, no powdery residue, works on all colors. I have it on my wife's beige Ody. Doing comparisons with Zaino.

One of my favorite tests is my upper lip test....the acid test for smoothness.

I run my upper lip (below my nose, an extremely sensitive part of the human anatomy...lots of nerve endings) along the paint. Don't laugh!

No question, Zaino is consistently smoother after application and, now three weeks later.;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Zaino is the only way to go.

Picking up a 2015 MDX tomorrow night. It will get the same treatment as my Corvette. Nothing but Zaino 2 & 5

·
Registered
212 Posts
You DO need to wait before polishing or waxing new paint (15-30 days), but by the time you get your new car, it's been long enough.
Pretty much any product out there will be better than no protection at all and better than whatever the dealer tries to sell you.
Also, be sure to use car wash soap (not dish soap) and only use a microfiber towel or mitt. Brushes and cotton towels will leave behind scratches.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Way to bump a 13 year old thread!!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Even though this is an old thread, this has to be a common question. I will not argue about Brand A vs. Brand B, but when I get a new car I typically perform the following process:

1) Wash and dry
2) Clay bar - I think most people will be surprised how much dirt and fallout gets removed by this process on a new car
3) Polish
4) Synthetic paint sealant (or wax if you want)

This process should make it shine much better than any car sitting on a lot.

·
Registered
641 Posts
The new silica (Gtechniq, 22PLE, etc) and silicon carbide (Opti-Coat) based paint coatings have proven themselves far superior to paint sealants over the past three or four years. If you're going to the trouble of correcting the paint, it doesn't make a lot of sense to apply a wax or sealant instead of a paint coating IMHO.

·
Registered
349 Posts
The new silica (Gtechniq, 22PLE, etc) and silicon carbide (Opti-Coat) based paint coatings have proven themselves far superior to paint sealants over the past three or four years. If you're going to the trouble of correcting the paint, it doesn't make a lot of sense to apply a wax or sealant instead of a paint coating IMHO.
What this man said,

I just got the new 2015 WRX to replace my Accord this past Monday. Dropping her off today to get a coating of CQuartz Finest CQuartz Nanotech Ceramic Automotive Paint Coating applied.

Going to stick to my normal Klasse twins with Collinite over that on my MDX since I love to detail her.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you have a new car , you can wax it immediately and for repaints, wait 4 to 6 months for the paint to completely cure.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts