Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I've got to spend some time away from the pen thread to ask a real question.

I've decided that the Turtle Wax that spent the winter in my garage is really not doing what it's supposed to do - it's kind of the consistency of cottage cheese, apparently not liking the freeze and thaw cycle. This after waxing about half the car, after a good cleaning with a rubbing compound.

So I just came home with a tin of Meguiar's #26 yellow wax (I'm not converting to the Zaino Cult until my kid's college fund builds up a bit more).

The question: should I have at the newly but not particularly well-waxed parts of my car with Dawn before applying the Meguiars, or can I wax over the existing wax? It looks good, I just don't think it will last.

Thanks! (don't flame me, this ain't my day job...):rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Strip it...

The Dawn is a must.

Other wise you'll be applying the Meguiers (which actaully lasts pretty well, but doesn't do much to enhance the shine) to the Turtle Wax, and when the Meguiers hazes you'll buff MOST of it off.

By stripping off the Turtle wax (which is thoughly outclassed by modern products) the Meguiers will "hang on' to the MDX as well as it can...

In the long run the durability of the Zaino means that it is cheaper to use...

·
Registered
715 Posts
ghost, ghost, you got it all wrong, NOW is the time to do Zaino....while you still can coerce, beg, borrow or just plain bribe your kid to help with the waxing., buffing, etc. :D

To your other point, being a somewhat of a purist, I would recommend washing, get the old crud off, and apply your, uh, Meguiar's (that is hard for me to say, you realize!;) ) #26. You may even want to clay it after washing and before.....before......before......Meguiar's (there I said it).

Keep in mind that #26, unlike Meguiar's Medallion, is a combination cleaner AND wax, so you get both polishing and waxing in the same product.

I think you will like the results.

Seriously.

And keep working on that college fund, will ya. I may need some help from you in about 12 months.
:( :(

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, guys, I know that was hard for ya... :)

OK, the consensus seems to be to strip it, guess I kind of figured that, will do.

The label doesn't mention anything about cleaning properties with this one, but I'll take whatever extra cleaning I can get. Meguiars #26 does claim to be professional (I'm a professional), hi-tech (I'm hi-tech), yellow (I'm afraid of heights) carnuba wax for a "mirror glaze" finish. It's either a good wax or a great ad campaign. (For $13, I'm hoping for the good wax)

I'll keep y'all posted...

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Meguiar's usually calls it a "cleaner wax" if that's what it is; I believe that #26 is just a wax without cleaner included. They have "cleaners" as well as "polishes." I believe that polish before wax is probably what you'd need, although a combination cleaner wax should work well for you. www.meguiars.com will tell you more than you want to know!

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great car, no camera!

Well, this is going to make me crazy, but I've loaned out my digital camera for the week. As you all know, my 'X, like me, is always looking good, but with this last weekends detailing job, it's looking even more awesome than usual. And I don't have a camera to post a pic! Guess I'll have to wait till next weekend to post the results, good thing I picked up some of Meguiar's Quik Detailer as well.

While I feel sorry for all the poor little carnubas that had to be killed, that #26 is a really nice wax, great results!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts