Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I never waxed my 2015 MDX (color Maroon) since the day I bought it. Now I feel like it needs little shine.

1. What kind of WAX I need to buy?
2. How to keep in shine.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Clay bar your car and then use a synthetic wax. I use 3M synthetic on my 2015 and it still looks new.

P.S. it's obvious you don't like to wax your car several times a year, so stay away from traditional carnuba based waxes that are the favorites of true detailers. Unfortunately, they wear off in 4-6 weeks vs synthetic that easily lasts me 4 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
The choices are endless. There are so many products out there that are good. Unless you want to perform a full detail, I suggest something that is easy to use such as Carpro's Hydro2. All you have to do is to spray it and wash off. Before you do this though, I would wash the car with Carpro's Reset shampoo. If you want to do a bit more, I would use Carpro's Iron X to decontaminate the paint (this is part 1 of the decontamination process) and then like LostCreekSooner suggested, clay your car (I would use a synthetic clay such as Nanoskin).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Clay bar your car and then use a synthetic wax. I use 3M synthetic on my 2015 and it still looks new.

P.S. it's obvious you don't like to wax your car several times a year, so stay away from traditional carnuba based waxes that are the favorites of true detailers. Unfortunately, they wear off in 4-6 weeks vs synthetic that easily lasts me 4 months.

May be stupid question, I should wash car before applying Clay bar, correct? Clay bar with water??

Is there steps or precautions I should take while applying 3M Synthetic ? Is this what you suggested amazon.com/3M-39030-Performance-Finish-Synthetic/dp/B000PGEMQM

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
I would double wash it, then clay, polish if needed, then wash again, dry, then seal.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
713 Posts
we had a 2006 RL that hard been waxed many times, even professionally detailed. It was shiny but not a deep shine. I clayed it (be sure to use lots of lubricant), then did a coat of Tech 2000 wax and it had a nice shine. I then put 2 quick coats of yellow carnauba wax over that and it looked like a new car off a showroom.

·
Registered
50 Posts
May be stupid question, I should wash car before applying Clay bar, correct? Clay bar with water??

Is there steps or precautions I should take while applying 3M Synthetic ? Is this what you suggested amazon.com/3M-39030-Performance-Finish-Synthetic/dp/B000PGEMQM

Wash, clay with lubricant, polish if you have access to orbital polisher, then wax. Chemical Guys has a website with lots of good videos that explain the process. The options for different products in the industry is enormous. My only real recommendation is synthetic wax if you don't like to wax your car every month or two, since they last longer than carnuba wax.

·
Registered
50 Posts

And if you decide to use the 3M synthetic wax, don't let it dry. Just wipe on a small section and then immediately wipe off with microfiber towel. Cotton towels will leave swirl marks in your clear coat... do not use on car EVER!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Check out one of the auto detailing forums. Autogeek has quite a few "how-to" articles that should be very helpful. Alternatively, you can just hire a pro to detail your car for you.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I agree ^^^^ Doesn't sound like paint/auto care is your thing...I'd find a good detailer than can take care of the paint for you. The time, energy, investment, and learning curve is significant to do it right so my guess is you'll be much more satisfied leaving it to an expert. This is the part of life where money CAN buy you happiness ;-)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts