Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
61 - 77 of 77 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Hi Johnnie! Sorry to hear you’re experiencing ongoing leak issues. Before I confirmed my leak originated at the rear door latch, I flushed the sunroof drain holes a few times (both sides) then verified water wasn’t going elsewhere.

Removing a portion of the plastic inner front tire fenders allows you to access a rubber hose with a flap on the end. That rubber hose had accumulated leaves, pollen and other dirt.

I used 2 small plastic cups & a helper to accomplish these tests. While I was standing through the open sunroof I slowly poured the contents of my small water cup into the driver side drain hole. My son was positioned with his cup underneath that rubber hose within the inner fender to collect the water that rushes through. Since we used the same size cups we were able to verify my contents were directly transferring to his cup of equal volume. That gave me a good feeling to know it was completely accounted for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outstanding idea! I’ll flush with 20lb/psi from my air compressor soon for the drains. Or how did you flush?

· Registered
6 Posts
Outstanding idea! I’ll flush with 20lb/psi from my air compressor soon for the drains. Or how did you flush?
I just flushed with gravity and verified the six fluid ounces I poured in from the sunroof drain was retrieved from the lower drain. Then repeat on the other side.
Good luck and let us know how it goes :D

· Registered
12 Posts
So it has been raining steadily here in southern NY. I finally checked my car just now. No water in the normal spot by the subwoofer or the 3rd row sets belt retaining clip. I do notice water in the trunk area by the rear 3rd row seat bolts. If you lift the rear floor cargo area and peer in between the floor. My body shop did water test a lot and said water was in the rear floor storage area. But since I brought it back from the shop, I left that lid up to air it out and been absorbing it by the bolt with a paper towel but water keeps returning. Unsure if it’s residual or now. I will attach pics for further explaination. I checked the left fuse area, that’s dry.
Vehicle Automotive design Comfort Car Gesture
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Grille Vehicle
Vehicle Automotive design Comfort Car Gesture
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Grille Vehicle
Vehicle Automotive tire Grille Hood Automotive lighting

Attachments

· Registered
6 Posts
Hello Johnnie,
I’m glad to hear water is no longer actively trickling in from that spot.

It is possible your leak has been accumulating water in the lower trunk compartment for a while. Driving the vehicle with acceleration and breaking may cause any accumulated water to move around.

It looks like you have a rubber cargo mat. If I were you I would remove that mat and the cargo storage lid to allow for as much evaporation as possible. Definitely worth “baking the car” in the hot sun with the windows open weather permitting (with a fan).

· Registered
12 Posts
Alright. So I dropped of my MDX at the body shop this morning after the other nights rain that had water drilling in like a faucet. I think due to the incline how it was parked.
Long story short, body shop took of headliner and noticed some rust by the corner of the vehicle. So he covered it with body seam from the inside to patch it. Hopefully this works.
He didn’t see any water coming in from the roof rails.
Not sure how to attach a video file off my phone to see that water trickling in from that 3rd row seat belt retaining clip.

· Registered
350 Posts
I’m still not sure that’s not from the end if the rail. It’s definitely positional. As you can imagine, we get plenty of rain here in the PNW (though most not very hard). Our MDX has lived outside the past 3-4 years & I definitely noticed the amount of leakage when this happened depended on the volume of rain & it the car was parked nose up or tail up. Nose up the worst & of course worse with heavier rain. If you have a still shot of where they found rust, that would be interesting. Luckily no rust visible on ours but I haven’t pulled the headliner.

· Registered
12 Posts
Revisiting this thread, but not for the original posts I had about the passenger side which has been fixed. I think it was the seams as well as the bracket for the tailgate piston.
I too just got the check SH-AWD notification this past weekend after a monsoon rain storm. But checking what the original poster posted about, my fuses on the passenger side is dry and not corroded.
I had a screw in my passenger rear tire which was plugged a day or two before the rain.
The morning after the rain storm, I got the check notification. It has been dry for 2 days and it hasn’t went away.
I have read in other threads how it may be the speed sensor in the passenger rear tire. Could it be coincide the low tire (23lbs).
I also read it could be the brake pedal sensor or differential fluids.
I should have covered the fuses with a plastic bag.

But how do people clean the corrosion as noted before in the thread? Just pull the relay and wipe clean? Maybe a baking soda/water mixture?

I have a feeling I bought someone’s else’s problem. I am the third owner. 2007 MDX with 106k miles.

· Registered
2008 Acura MDX
30 Posts
Hi everyone. I am so glad owners continue to post even years after a thread has posted.
My issue- several weeks ago I noticed water in the rear trunk storage compartment (2010 Acura MDX). I thought it was from two water filled thermos' I left there for later use. I emptied the thermos', cleaned and dried the area only to find more water in the trunk storage compartment a week later. That was twice the storage compartment was cleaned and dried, until this morning. This time I noticed the water entering from the passenger side panel just above the rear speaker. I thought and realized each time it had been raining like crazy.

Thanks for this thread. My MDX does not have a roof rack. So I am not sure where I am going to start. I may look at the plastic flashing on the rear passenger side. I will post my findings later.
did you ever solve your leak above the rear trunk speaker? I have a leak in the same exact place right now.

· Registered
2008 Acura MDX
30 Posts
Has anybody found the tail light seal/gasket to be the source? I have seen this gasket shrink on previous cars I had years ago and suspect that might be my issue here. I plan to remove & inspect soon & will post an update later.

Here’s a picture I took right after a rain storm this week (passenger side rear sub speaker)

wow I have a leak in the same exact place. Did you ever find the source?

· Registered
2008 Acura MDX
30 Posts
Fixed my leak. It was the stock roof rack (passenger side). Had to pop off the very back plastic piece near hatch. Cleaned the body seams underneath and noticed a crack near the very end of rain channel. RTV sealed it. No more leaks.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts