Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
41 - 60 of 77 Posts

· Registered
350 Posts
If you search the forum for “water leak” you will find several threads. Silicone should work, I used RTV. You are sealing the bottom of the rain gutter which will not be visible. The one exception is the seam at the end of the rain gutter where it angles down to the hatch. It’s postulated that this is where hairline cracks develop in the weld allowing the leak. I pulled our rack & examined everything carefully but was never certain where my leak actually was. I over did it & just RTV’d the weld line along the entire rain gutter & the area in back with no more problems since (2 years now). As you’ve surmised, here in Puget Sound it rains almost daily starting in October and going up to the 4th of July - doing it now is a good idea.

· Registered
6 Posts
Has anybody found the tail light seal/gasket to be the source? I have seen this gasket shrink on previous cars I had years ago and suspect that might be my issue here. I plan to remove & inspect soon & will post an update later.

Here’s a picture I took right after a rain storm this week (passenger side rear sub speaker)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
2,546 Posts
this is too far away from tail light. Has to be a seam as mentioned before.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

· Registered
6 Posts
Thanks qqzj & everyone!
I thoroughly cleaned & sealed the hairline crack at the base of the roof rails. Here are some pictures of water dripping from above (as qqzj mentioned); saw this during rain storm. Also have later pictures of adding the new dark grey gasket sealer material I used and a picture during heavy rain that shows everything dry. Thanks for your help !!!!

· Registered
12 Posts
Hello. First post here. Not a stranger to car forums and I use the search button. Just thought I’d add to this.
bought my ‘07 MDX used with 104k miles this past July.
noticed moisture in my car then narrowed it down to a leak coming from right above the 3rd row seatbelt retaining clip on passenger side. As soon as enough water accumulates, it drips down as you can see from the attached picture of the dark spot by clip. I then noticed my quarter window panel is sightly loose. I may stick a silicone bead in between the gasket or use HVAC silver tape over the exterior quarter panel window.
As seen in second picture on the corner of floor and wall, beads of water from where it falls down.

Attachments

· Registered
350 Posts
It’s probably from your rain gutter. These locations are typical for that leak. Typically you won’t even be able to visualize a crack but silicone or RTV at the tail ind of the rain gutter over the weld will usually fix it. Make sure your fuse panel on the driver’s side stays dry - though your leak looks passenger side.

· Registered
12 Posts
Surprisingly enough, this insulation tape (pipe) worked though a heavy rain storm with strong winds. Dry in the same problem area the following day. Just cleaned area with rubbing alcohol, waited for area to dry, then applied. I’ll take it off in the future when I get sealant. Just wanted to test that area right before a storm hit.

Attachments

· Registered
2,546 Posts
This morning I tried to use silicone caulk to seal the problem area. Once I looked at it, the issue is very clear. The welder did a much better job on the passenger side under the roof rail than the driver side. This is the passenger side

It is such a nice and smooth job that once the paint is applied, there's no chance for leak. So I didn't even bother to seal this side.

The driver side, however, looks ugly. I don't know what he was smoking while working on my car. It is very unpolished to say the least. Sorry I forgot to take a picture beforehand. So I just thoroughly applied caulk around this area. Also along the base of the wire grommet.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: RainGoat

· Registered
12 Posts
Update. So the tape I used was temporary and I got around to sealing the crack. I went to my local Home Depot, and couldn’t find the RTV sealant. So I grabbed a gutter sealant thinking if it’s good for gutters, has to be good for the cracked seams. Here are pictures. I cleaned the area with rubbing alcohol and applied the sealant. It will rain later this week to test. The last picture is of the problematic area after the tape started to peel, I felt it made it worse.

Attachments

· Registered
12 Posts
@JohnnieBlanco Did your gutter sealant end up doing the trick? I'm running into the exact same leak issue as you on my '08 and I'll give this a shot if it worked for you!
I ended up going to a body shop on 3/25 that I know. They did a water test and put body seam on the right ridge of where I ended up putting the sealant. They said I was close. They pulled the roof rail off and that wasn’t the problem. They haven’t charged me yet. I know them but I insist on paying them.

Attachments

· Registered
2007 MDX Elite (w/2008 motor)
120 Posts
My MDX is parked outside every day, and hasn't leaked since I applied the silicone to just the seams. As I mentioned in my post, it wasn't leaking from anywhere else I tested. When I did mine, I made sure it was as smooth as the paint so that water could run off instead of pool.

· Registered
12 Posts
Yea, I got tired of tinkering with it. Just slather the sealant over the general area like how my picture is. It’s going to rain today in NY so I will check it again when I get home. Here is another picture, as I stated before the body shop found the leak towards the right upper side when they tested
Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Hood Grille Automotive tire

· Registered
12 Posts
So the leak is back. I poured water in the sunroof, the passenger side doesn’t flow as fast as the driver side and I can hear it accumulate in the rocker panel area. I’ll be bringing the car back to the body shop later this week.
called the owner. They pulled the panels in the back and determined the sealant areas were the problem. And they pulled the roof rails.
Also my passenger side carpet mats are damp.
I will have to look at that video again on to clean the passenger side sun roof drain.
happens when your the 3rd buyer of a car.

· Registered
6 Posts
Hi Johnnie! Sorry to hear you’re experiencing ongoing leak issues. Before I confirmed my leak originated at the rear door latch, I flushed the sunroof drain holes a few times (both sides) then verified water wasn’t going elsewhere.

Removing a portion of the plastic inner front tire fenders allows you to access a rubber hose with a flap on the end. That rubber hose had accumulated leaves, pollen and other dirt.

I used 2 small plastic cups & a helper to accomplish these tests. While I was standing through the open sunroof I slowly poured the contents of my small water cup into the driver side drain hole. My son was positioned with his cup underneath that rubber hose within the inner fender to collect the water that rushes through. Since we used the same size cups we were able to verify my contents were directly transferring to his cup of equal volume. That gave me a good feeling to know it was completely accounted for.

41 - 60 of 77 Posts