Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
For those with the wet fuse box problem:

open the trunk hatch, and locate on the top body of the car a cable with a rubber gourmet . Mine was not installed properly, causing water to come in the trunk assembly, and eventually running to the fuse box. Symptoms were : tail lights running while switch to off and keys removed from ignition, check AWD when raining hard, check VSA when raining hard, check trailer assist when raining hard .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry for the delayed response. I will be attempting the "Silicone Trials" this weekend hopefully. I still have the leak even after putting a rubber seal around the upper trim area of the tailgate. When I test for leaks, I run water from the water hose only over the area of the upper tailgate, not the roof rack area. This means my leak is entering somewhere in that area. It actually doesn't mean it could not be entering from the roof rack area. So, again, hopefully, I will test again this weekend.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm actually getting a bit frustrated from the leaking. I may just go ahead and Silicone the entire upper tailgate area along with the entire roof rack area- since it apparently worked for "thegazzelle" and his co-worker.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm actually getting a bit frustrated from the leaking. I may just go ahead and Silicone the entire upper tailgate area along with the entire roof rack area- since it apparently worked for "thegazzelle" and his co-worker.

Mine was also leaking same area but near the right tail light and trunk lining.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
265 Posts
Same problem. Does anyone know the proper way to remove the plastic end caps on the roof rack & the rear roof antenna as well? Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 07 MDX with water leaking on the passenger side as well. Drip comes from the corner just above the subwoofer. I haven't pulled the roof rack off yet, but the past few rain storms have resulted in a puddle in the corner of my mat. Thankfully the water drips off and on to the floor mat I have so it can easily be wiped up with a towel.

I have not yet taken off the roof rack, so waiting to see if this worked for SkyeNStripey.

Wondering if you ever located the source of the leak, I just noticed mine leaking in this exact spot yesterday. Any and all help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Like a couple posters, I never positively identified it but I agree the most likely culprit was the weld at the end of the rain gutter. I looked at that & couldn’t rule out a crack. Everything else looked fine. I removed the rack, cleaned the gutters & laid down RTV sealant along the entire seam (overkill for sure). The car has been sitting outside in PNW rain for nearly 4 months straight with no further leak.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I found a nice puddle in my trunk today, so I'll be joining the scavenger hunt to identify the source. Normally I wouldn't care about a little water, but which engineer thought it was a good idea to put an important fuse/relay box right in the path of a potential water leak? I just can't believe how bad this car has been for issues compared to all other Honda's I've owned.

·
Registered
474 Posts
As a precaution i put a heavy piece of plastic overlapping the rear fuse box and secured it with Gorilla tape so if water ever gets in it will not destroy the fuse panel and simply run off! After doing this i also noticed how water could easily get in through the rear hatch sides and travel along the metal channels/bracing and drip onto fuse panel .

if you pop the rear panel and look inside you can see the channels and how they connect with each other! The rubber covering for the rear hatch motorized arm with the slit also opens up to the channeling so if water gets over top of it and through the gap it would be an issue! However look for the cracking or seem sealer cracking at the roof rail ends and about the first 2 inches below them on the tail light hatch edges. Also inspect the rubber molding at top of hatch and the electronic ribber boots that hide the wiring for the hatch.

There are some great you tube videos showing the rear hatch seams with cracks for Honda Odessy and the Honda Fit , same senario for their rear hatch leak problems which are many! Give them a look and you will have a much better understanding how this is "may be" happening and what you need to look for. The roof seams is the other major concern but without removing the rails and looking you can not tell if the seams are actually separating (roof panels from side panels where they are tack weld and covered in seam sealer that deteriorates exposing the gaps and allowing water in.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I had the same issue but could never positively identify the culprit. Last summer I rtv’d the rear hatch seam even though there was no definitive crack. The car has now been outside for a Pacfic Northwest winter (which is essentially daily rain for 6 months now) with no leak at all. I did do the hatch grommets as well but they looked perfectly fine.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Check all seals around tailgate, roof rack (if you have one),

and seals around base of satellite radio antenna.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
Satellite Radio Antenna
can be a culprit.
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

I recall reading someone re-sealed their satellite radio antenna due to it being a point of entry for water leaking into their fuse box.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Check all seals around tailgate, roof rack (if you have one), and seals around base of satellite radio antenna. I recall reading someone re-sealed their satellite radio antenna due to it being a point of entry for water leaking into their fuse box.
I remembered that post too but when I attempted the job, the FSM said the only way to get under the satellite antenna fin was to loosen it from inside the cabin above the headliner. Therefore, it’s the one part I didn’t do. I have to admit, while I thought the rear rain gutter seam was the culprit, I still removed the rack & rtv’d the entire rain gutter seam.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Another possibility COULD be deformed seals around the liftgate lights.

Although they're only mentioning 2014-2019 models, it still may be worth a check on previous year models.

According to a recent article:

Acura is recalling more than 323,000 examples of the*MDX crossover*in the US because the brake lights in the rear liftgate can potentially fail. The recall affects MDX crossovers manufactured for the 2014-2019 model years, according to a statement released by the manufacturer.

According to Acura, seals around the rear liftgate light may deform, allowing water to leak into the light assemblies. Should this happen, water could reach some electrical and cause the tailgate lid light to fail, and, in some cases, a short circuit that trips the position light fuse, deactivating the exterior position lights and some interior lighting.

To fix the issue, Acura dealers will replace the gasket seals in both rear tailgate lid lights with updated parts. If a light is found to be inoperable due to moisture intrusion, the lid light assembly will be replaced along with associated wiring sub-harness if required. As with all manufacturer recalls, repairs will be carried out free of charge. Affected MDX owners will be notified by mail in early May to arrange an appointment with their local dealership to get the faulty parts replaced if necessary.

Read the full article here:

https://carbuzz.com/news/keep-your-distance-from-the-acura-mdx

·
Registered
87 Posts
I really hate not knowing what the root cause of a problem is, so I spent way more time than I probably should have testing the water tightness of each area of the hatch that I thought might be leaking. I also pulled back the upper and lower panels to get a good look inside, but it wasn't that helpful. The water is coming in from behind the metal panel that the trim attaches to, so all I can see is water dripping from above the seat belt retractor mechanism. Long and short, it only leaks when I pour water along the roof rail gutter and let it run its course, which is down and along the length of the hatch seam. If I pour water along the top of the tailgate and it runs across the seam, no leak. So I sealed the seam with a bead of silicone, smoothed it down so as not to block the gutter, and will see if that solves the problem. Supposed to be a ton of rain tomorrow.

As an aside, I also removed my roof rack, but that turned out to be unnecessary as there was nothing under it that could leak. I tested by plugging the end of the channel so the water couldn't go down the hatch, and the water just stayed there. My 2007 has no holes, just welded-in studs that the Torx fasteners attach to (they look like bolts, but are actually nuts). I ended up stripping the two small bolts that hold the center of the rack on (more precisely, the bolts were seized to the rivnuts that were embedded in the plastic of the mount, which separated when I turned the bolt). So if you're having this problem, I say try sealing the seam first before removing the roof rack if you have one, and be prepared to buy a new center mount and bolts.

·
Registered
265 Posts
The condition of the hardware may depend on where you are weather wise. I also pulled & reconditioned my whole rack last summer. I was very impressed with the quality of it as it attaches as well or stronger than my 5th Gen 4Runner or 2nd Gen Pathfinder rack & after some 303 UV Protectant it literally looked like new. I did apply anti-seize when I reinstalled it. I also RTV’d the base of the entire gutter while I was there - though this was likely unnecessary. Mine has since endured a Pacific NW outside the garage with no leaks.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I am in CA and car is in garage most of the time. So this was not a big deal before. However, I need to work a while in Seattle this winter, so I cut open a ziplock and made a rain jacket for the fuse box today. Hopefully it will help.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
265 Posts
Good idea - welcome to our weather. If you find it leaking, definitely caulk the end of the rain gutter - that worked for me despite the fact that I could not actually visually identify the source of the leak.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I probably will seal that place preemptively. I don't have roof rack. So you mean that I should pull the two big black rubber strips along each side of the roof up, clean it up and apply a good amount of sealant at the end of them? What kind of sealant is highly recommended? I don't like black stuff b/c of the look. Maybe some silicone based transparent sealant is the way to go?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 43 Posts