Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2008 in the left rear by the third row seat just above the cup holder the panel gets wet when it rains the left third row cup holder gets water in it, any one ever have this problem?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
no leakage within the area of my 2009 MDX that you had referenced, however sometimes when I take my X through one of 'touch free' car washes (I never goto soft cloth...hehehe 'SOFT CLOTH' my ARSE!!) the rinse spray pressure will be turned up so high within that particular automated wash that small amounts of water may leak/drip from along sun roof and/or front windows- not a whole lot, but enough to notice...

·
Registered
13 Posts
no leakage within the area of my 2009 MDX that you had referenced, however sometimes when I take my X through one of 'touch free' car washes (I never goto soft cloth...hehehe 'SOFT CLOTH' my ARSE!!) the rinse spray pressure will be turned up so high within that particular automated wash that small amounts of water may leak/drip from along sun roof and/or front windows- not a whole lot, but enough to notice...
Thanks for your response. We haven't had that issue but we are now getting A LOT of water coming through that back panel. I found another thread where the person had the same problem as I did. Will try to reach out to them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem with my 2008 MDX. Leaking is increasingly worse as time goes on. I'm fortunate to have the weather guard matt in the rear and we almost always have the 3rd row of seats down. But I'm finding big puddles back there now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Alabama stujenn

Also check the flashing panel under harness for hatch, 3 plastic attatch points fail. Factory seal tape fails and allows water onto foam in left fender, drips onto fuse box etc. causes electrical problems, aka chasing ghost alarms.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same leak but came down otherside (non sub woofer). After ripping everything apart 2 years ago found the leak. Basically the antenna on the roof leeks and let's water into roof line (in my case). It's the small jump on the top roof by tailgate.

To test it remove the water seal in tailgate on body. Run hose water and if you see water building up at metal edge it's the cause. I took clear caulking and sealed it all around. Problem solved. I also removed the channels on roof and caulked the body line in there as well to be safe. You might see rust below the water seal which I would treat as confirmation of the issue.

I would test it quick as there is a fuse box in trunk on left side. One the foam above it gets wet you'll have lots of weird electrical problems. I had to remove it and dry it out.

Let me know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I had the same leak but came down otherside (non sub woofer). After ripping everything apart 2 years ago found the leak. Basically the antenna on the roof leeks and let's water into roof line (in my case). It's the small jump on the top roof by tailgate.

To test it remove the water seal in tailgate on body. Run hose water and if you see water building up at metal edge it's the cause. I took clear caulking and sealed it all around. Problem solved. I also removed the channels on roof and caulked the body line in there as well to be safe. You might see rust below the water seal which I would treat as confirmation of the issue.

I would test it quick as there is a fuse box in trunk on left side. One the foam above it gets wet you'll have lots of weird electrical problems. I had to remove it and dry it out.

Let me know if you have any questions.
bminhas
Can you explain what you did here again?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just checking to see if anyone has any new updates / suggestions. I have a 2009, and water has been entering the rear storage hatch in the floor. Not coming from the lift gate, and not coming from underneath the MDX. I believe it's coming through somewhere along either the roof line or the D pillar. I caulked around the antenna on the roof, as well as the rubber grommets along the rear hatch for the electrical connections. After being parked in the rain for about 8 hours, noticeable trickle along the left side of the rear storage hatch floor pan (ie where the jack is located), and after pulling the cover off of the rear fuse box, there was no water on the fuse box itself, but there was some on the outbound portion of the metal framing inside.

My next thought is to pull the tail light housing and add more caulking to any bolt holes / wiring in there. I know this issue has come up a few times on the site...just wondering if anyone has had any definitive success?

Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I actually did have some success recently and I posted in another thread with some pictures.

I finally tracked the leak down to the body seam right at the back side of the rain gutter. I cleaned it out with a toothbrush and could tell there was a hole. The reason it leaks so much is because all of the water running off your roof goes into the rain gutters on either side and then runs right over the holes.

Open your hatch and look right at the back of the gutter (there is the plastic trim peice covering the actual gutter and your roof rack bolts into this area as well) you can see that 3 peices of metal join up here and from vibrations and bumps and whatever a crack/hole has formed between the metal.

I used some brush on seam sealer to fix both sides after cleaning then up. It had been perfect for many rainstorms now.

Pictures should be attached here now too.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts