Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
What are temperatures like in your area? Do you know what washer fluid you have?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Around 10 degrees. It is not the fluid. My husband's GM works fine and so do all of my friends' cars. It is specifically my car and once my husband spends time heating the nozzles, the washers work again. So the fluid is not frozen, it is at the nozzle.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Around 10 degrees. It is not the fluid. My husband's GM works fine and so do all of my friends' cars. It is specifically my car and once my husband spends time heating the nozzles, the washers work again. So the fluid is not frozen, it is at the nozzle.
You seem to be contradicting yourself... If the system starts to work again after heating the nozzles, then that supports the notion that the fluid is freezing.

Do you know what fluid you have? If you're still on whatever the dealer put in, then you may want to drain it all out and replace it with something that is rated for the temperatures you experience. I use Rain-X 2-in-1 rated down to -25 F. You can get it at Walmart for under $3. Once you drain out all the fluid, replace it with the good stuff, then run the wipers for a few minutes to ensure the hoses are purged of other fluids.

·
Registered
713 Posts
use a winter fluid that is designed for lower temps and won't freeze at 10F. Sounds like you have a summer fluid with a higher freezing point mixture in it. It isn't the nozzles. As an example, Rain-X winter stays liquid to -25F. Summer fluids are designed more to deal with bugs. Rain-X summer freezes at +32 F. Mix the two and the freezing point is somewhere in between. As suggested by others tell the husband, or pay the dealer, to drain the summer fluid out and put winter fluid in the washer system. Reverse that in spring when the bugs return. Might have them check the radiator fluid to make sure it is good for the cold too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rated to -30. Same as in my husband's GM and daughter's KIA. They aren't having this problem.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Rated to -30. Same as in my husband's GM and daughter's KIA. They aren't having this problem.
I just want to confirm... you're saying you did fully drain and re-fill the fluid on a <6 month old vehicle? You didn't say that in your original post, so I'm suspect about it and want to confirm that. Just "topping it off" is not the same thing.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I will agree with p07 here..

topping off wont do it.... i use summer fluid during bug season.. april to late Oct.. then i start using the winter fluid -35 and -40 stuff.
By Dec when its gets cold.. i know ive flushed the system with the winter juice..
J.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Did you recently go through a car wash? Water can enter the nozzles and freeze.

I usually spray some washer fluid after exiting an automatic car wash to make sure water is out and washer fluid is in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same here for 2017 hybrid. Temp around 10 degrees and nozzle does not work. The fluid is not frozen and works on other cars.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I had the same experience over the holidays in Bend, OR, at about 20F. I don't know if it is a design flaw or simply inadequate fluid. Since buying the car the dealer service has always been in the winter (low annual mileage) so the type of fluid shouldn't be an issue. Of course it is cheaper to not use the low-temp fluid, and Portland is usually not that cold (with a recent exception), so maybe the dealer was cutting corners - hard to tell. Since they have been treating me like their piggy bank I will be doing the service elsewhere in any event, and adding low-temp fluid is not beyond my skill level.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same issue with 2016

I've got the frozen windshield wiper nozzle problem, too, with whatever the dealer's been putting in the system. It's been cold (Washington, DC), but this is ridiculous.

·
Registered
713 Posts
My money is on inadequate fluid, or freezing rain / sleet blocking them. Inadequate fluid is a user problem just like someone failing to drain a boat engine and then complaining in the spring that the freeze cracked it - which incidentally there will be lots of boats for sale come spring with cracked blocks. If you live in DC then you only need look to Flight 90 to realize how easy ice builds up. That is not an Acura fault. The physics of the situation are against you on this unless it is a problem where the grease in the electric pump motor or something causes it to bind.

·
Registered
575 Posts
My money is on inadequate fluid, or freezing rain / sleet blocking them. Inadequate fluid is a user problem
No freezing rain for me - it blocked overnight, no precip, desert dry conditions. And while it can be a user problem, all of the washer fluid put in the MDX up to that period was done by the dealer.

That is not an Acura fault.
In my case it is either an Acura fault (design, or fluid not adequate) or an Acura dealer fault (cheaped out on the fluid). They own it.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I still have the original washer fluid in my 4.5 y/o MDX. It hasn't frozen yet but then, it was in the 80s here yesterday.

I suppose I'm not being helpful here.

·
Registered
414 Posts
It looks like the part number for the nozzle is the same between the hybrid and the non hybrid but the part # changed for 2017 onwards.

So..are there any non hybrid owners, 2017 or newer, with this problem, because it would then possibly indicate it's a part problem, assuming 2014-16 owners aren't having freezing nozzles (I'm not (2014) and it's -22 celsius here).

I'm still leaning toward washer fluid that's not rated cold enough, or the dealer put summer fluid in or something, but I'll admit it's odd that it's the hybrid owner's chiming in mostly.

·
Registered
713 Posts
No freezing rain for me - it blocked overnight, no precip, desert dry conditions. And while it can be a user problem, all of the washer fluid put in the MDX up to that period was done by the dealer.

In my case it is either an Acura fault (design, or fluid not adequate) or an Acura dealer fault (cheaped out on the fluid). They own it.
wiper fluid would not be a factory warranted item in my humble opinion. Unless I paid the dealer to drain and change it - or for a specific "Winterizing the car service", I'd think Acura would simply point to the warranty and say -your responsibility, not ours - just the same as brakes and tires wear, wiper blades get old etc. maintaining tire pressure - slowing down on ice etc. Imagine the logic that car manufacturers would have to change the wiper blades too from summer to winter blades to keep them from tearing, automatically adjust tires pressures when the seasons change, or turn the windshield defrost on only in certain conditions is asking a bit much in my opinion. The only argument I would buy that they are responsible is if the pump seized up in normal temperatures from other than frozen water. Acura isn't responsible if some kid sticks his tongue on the hood ornament in sub zero temps and his tongue freezes to the hood. Life 101. Change the washer fluid when it gets cold. We live in a warm climate but when we go to the Sierras in the winter even on a sunny day I carry chains and make sure the washer fluid and radiator fluid is the correct kind before we leave.

·
Registered
869 Posts
First of all, the "ratings" of windshield washer fluids are bogus. The "-20°F" stuff freezes instantly on my windshield at 10°F. If it's freezing on the windshield, it can freeze in the nozzle.

I suppose an argument can be made that if the nozzle sprays a fine mist, the more volatile component of the fluid ( methanol ) will evaporate on the way to the windshield, leaving mostly blue colored water to decorate the windshield. But this brings us back that issue of "ratings". Kinda like sleeping bags and winter boots that are rated to "-35 degrees". Riiiight.

As for the nozzle, if evaporation is occurring at the nozzle, that can supercool the nozzle and freeze it up. Opening up the nozzle a little bit with a needle or thumbtack might help by causing the nozzle to emit more of a stream rather than a mist. If you screw it up, they aren't very expensive to replace. This is an old Northerner's trick. Lots of people are honorary Northerners right now. Congratulations. :wink:

It is interesting that it's a different nozzle part for 2017 vs 2014. Dunno what to make of that.

windshield_washer.jpeg

·
Registered
713 Posts
As long as in July we aren't complaining that the wiper blades smear the bugs stuck to the windshield, and that it is hard to see into the sun in the late afternoon ... .

1 - 20 of 47 Posts