Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just washed my 03 Nighthawk Black MDX for the first time. After drying, using the Absorber, I noticed a lot of swirl marks. I had Diamond Gloss Protection added to the paint when I first received it about 2 weeks ago. What is the best way of getting rid of the swirl marks? Zaino? If so, can I use Zaino even though I have Diamond Gloss on the paint? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Dollars to doughnuts...

... that "diamond gloss" CRAP is the CAUSE of the swirl marks!

Typically the lowest man on the totem pool is given a video tape on how to apply "diamond gloss" and 3 minutes into it he hits STOP, grabs the bottle and an orbital buffer and then it's OFF THE RACES!

WHIR WHIR WHIRRRRRR

Swirl mark-o-rama!

You might be able to get the CRAP off, and swirl marks too. Try some patience, elbow grease and lots of clay bar.

Such a waste...

Next time you'll know.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay....so if I use Zaino I'll have to start from the beginning...using dishwasher soap...etc.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
When you remove the swirls, you'll remove the Diamond Gloss, too. I'd ask for a refund since there won't be any protection left.

I would guess that you're gonna need a mild abrasive for the swirls, too. Do a search for DEALER INSTALLED SWIRLS for some discussion and removal tips. If you're gonna Zaino afterwards, check the "Zaino Tips/Tricks" threads.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Swirls Not a problem!!

Swirls are not hard to remove if you know how to use a buffer!3M Perfect-iT PN 39109 for light colored cars and #39009 for dark colored cars.Use with a #5725 Foam polishing pad on a 57170r 18 back up pad on aslow speed polisher.
If your not good with a buffer you can do it by hand.I would suggest you remove with a show car detailing cloth(microfibre,they don't scratch) Wax after with 3M Perfect-it "Show Car paste Wax or equivalent.
A lot of the products that shops use are loaded with fillers and brighteners and look great until the vehicle is washed several times and the fillers are washed out.The above method will remove em not fill them.
Tom:4:

·
Registered
671 Posts
There is no reason not to go back to the dealer on this one. If they installed the swirls, they should remove them! If the removal takes off the Diamond Gloss, then they should give you a refund. I've never heard of this Diamond Gloss stuff -- is that the 'new' undercoating scam?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Diamond Gloss

I agree these paint sealants have been around since the 70s.Remember Polyglycoat?A chemist explained it best to me 20 years ago.If we could give you "liquid diamond",the mil thickness winds up being so thin after you smear it on ,then wipe it off,that after a few washings you've removed most of it.Most of those "packs"as I call em, come with a rejuvinator which must be applied every 6 months or so and is nothing more than another coat of wax.Anyway this is a way for the dealer to milk you out off several hundred more dollars.
I am suprised about the swirls though as most of these products have been put on by hand.Somebody deffinetly jump on yours though with a buffer.The swirls don't come out of thin air.
Tom:4: :4:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts