Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this one is a doozy....
Driving around 5 miles, opened the driver side rear window and all of a sudden it seemed like a chopper was directly overhead.
My wife screams, "what in the world is that!".

Hm, close the window, noice is gone. Speed up a bit to around 20 mph, opened the same window, the chopper is back...speed up to around 40 noise disappears. Drop it down to 20, noise comes back, open all the windows noise disappears...

If seems with all window closed except for the real driver side window caused some sort of frequncy oscillation within the cabin which caused a noise that sounds just like a helicopter. It scared the hell out of me...thought my trans dropped or something.

Anyone else experience a twilight zone like experience like mine?
I haven't tried to duplicate it yet...frequency (or whatever the heck it was) tearing MDX apart...(remember in a science class talking about frequency and wave, shown a film where a entire bridge collapses due to wind frequency somehow matched the frequency of the bridge?)

Mike

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Wind buffeting. Normal.

Lotsa cars do it w/rears-only down (there's nowhere for the wind to go, so it bounces back off the hatch and collides with the incoming, or somesuch). Ya gotta have @ least 1 front cracked a hair to avoid.

FWIW my GS does it, too (eardrum pulsating -- worse than the MDX, actually), as does my neighbor's RX and the other neighbor's ML.

Search for buffeting...I think there was a thread a few months back.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

I have driven a 84 BMW, 95 Nissan, 95 4Runner, 3.2TL...never had similar situation before.

Nice to know that its just wind buffeting inside the MDX...

Thanks,

I wonder if anyone, after reading my initial post, ran out in their jammies to try to duplicate my problem.

Thanks, theWorm, I will search as you suggested.

Mike

·
Registered
206 Posts
I bet all MDXs do this.
My X does this. I had to try it after reading your post.
Wow, what a roar. Good thing I never drive with only the driver side rear window open

·
Registered
446 Posts
No

I discovered this a long time ago.....And no I wouldn't run out and try it because it is quite disturbing. Maybe because I pretty much have driven trucks since I was 16 I have never had (heard) a car do this.:confused:

Niles

·
Registered
181 Posts
If you really want to exercise your ear drums, do this at highway speeds!!!

Lots of cars do this. My MDX and my wife's TL both have this 'feature'.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I read about the wind buffeting awhile ago but forgot about it until this weekend while hauling around some wedding guests this weekend upstate. One of the guests was hot (MDX sat in sun) and opened the rear 2nd row window. Wow what a rachet. It scared the heck out of me. Then I remembered and I opened the moonroof and the noise stopped.

The extra seating (3rd row) definetly came in handy hauling out of town wedding guests around. MDX shines again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wind buffeting or whatever

Yeah, the same kind of thing happened to me. I think it has something to do with pressure equalization. if you open another window while the one that's makin the noise is open, the pressure equals out and the noise stops. it happens on many cars, not just the MDX but I have had that problem with mine.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I've never had a sedan/wagon with roll-down rear windows that didn't do this, starting with my first car, a '40 Chrysler 2-door! I had a '59 Volvo PV-544 that didn't, but its rear windows pivoted out rather than rolled down. It's definitely a "feature." :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts