Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone fill me in on the details of the warranty coverage for paint damage? I was washing my 2002 SS Premium yesterday noted several (10-12) small (5-10mm) yellow splotches on the front bumper, which I at first thought were bug guts. However, after a thorough going-over with soap and water, then "bug and tar remover," and then rubbing alcohol, the spots remained. On close inspection, there is absolutely nothing on the exterior surface to remove--it appears as if the paint or clear coat has been "stained" a dark yellow color. I do not know what to do, and I am afraid the paint job on the front bumper is ruined. Has anyone encountered this, or does anyone have any advice on what my next step should be? I will try to post some pics of the damage if I get a chance. Thanks, bdmd.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Warranty & paint

There have been cases where consumers have been taken care for paint problems.

The key is there have to be VERY obvious defects caused at the factory. Things like the wrong kind of metal flake, so it TARNISHES over time, or paint crazing/peeling on its own.

It strenghtens your case is there are MANY vehicles produced at the the same time but delivered to distant area (to rule out local "acid rain" and such)...

First step, find a very good body shop to verify that the defect was most likely caused at assembly. Then contact AcuraCare directly, NOT the dealer.

If there is evidence that this happened during assembly, you should be take care of.

If the factory belives this happened "in transit" you might still be covered, becuase the dealer is SUPPOSED to prep cars and file claims with the transport services.

If the dealer gets involved too soon, they will say "NO WAY was that was there during our EXTENSIVE prep..." (even if it that's a bald-faced lie... :rolleyes: )

It is possible that this a true "stain" splashed on from some leaky paint truck, put a good detailer should be able to verify that.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yes, they will do it under warranty if it's a factory defect.
My SS had some darker spots on back door and I mentioned to dealer when I had the 7500 miles service. They had it fixed under warrenty and it looks perfect now.

·
Registered
292 Posts
If it's what I think it is, it should go away over time all by itself. You were probably right the first time - bug guts. Some of them have a very stong chemical "dye" in them, probably depending on what they've been eating, that will quickly stain the paint, most obvious on white. I've had it on many white cars. Like you said, it doesn't polish out or come off with typical chemical cleaners. Over a few weeks, it tends to disappear. Sun exposure may be a key, I'm not sure. So don't worry about it. Just wait.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts