Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure in this goes here or in another forum.
Was told that if you add the tow package to an MDX it will invalidate the Acura extended warentee iof it did not have the tow package to start.
My guess is this is the sales guy blowing smoke.
or;
Applies only to non-Acura tow packages.
or;
Some weird misunderstanding.
or;
The warentee cost with tow package is higher than without.

Anyone with knowlege in this area please chime in.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
"cornfused" salesmen

I have met a handful of decent car sales people -- this doesn't sound like one of 'em.

The simple fact is that Honda/Acura decided that if you put a trailer hitch on the MDX (or Pilot) you ought to also put on the transmision & power steering fluid coolers. If you don't have the coolers and you do some towing and something does go wrong with trans 0r PS they would blame lack of coolers...

There is no way for the Honda Extended Care people to know WHERE or WHEN you got the coolers -- sounds like the sales person is trying to use some half truths to scare you into getting the towing package (hitch & coolers) right now...

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Don't confuse invalidating a warranty, with there not being a warranty.
All accessories have some warranty against defects.

Accessories NOT installed by an Acura dealer will not be covered by the bumper to bumper car warranty.

If you installl the tow package yourself the individual parts are covered as accessories.
If you have a leak of the ATF cooler due to improper installation, and your tranny burns up, good luck trying to get it repaired under bumper to bumper.
Extreme scenario, but could happen. Just be aware.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
A tow package installed by the Acura Dealer prior to delivery will be covered by the 4/50000 warrantee, including transmission and steering coolers. If bought after delivery, even if installed by the Acura Dealer, it's only warranted 1 year/ 12000 miles.
That is the main reason I purchased from the dealer even though I could have purchased for hundreds less.

·
Registered
10 Posts
How about if the tow package was part of the purchase contract but wasn't available at time of delivery? Just had it installed a month after delivery - 4/50 or 1/12?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Original Question

Is the cost of the EXTENDED warentee different if you have the tow package?
Could this be a reason that they don't cover vehicles with the tow package added after the sale?
Is there any valid reason the anyone (especially Acura warentee and service personel) knows of that a dealer would claim such?

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
JeffB said:
How about if the tow package was part of the purchase contract but wasn't available at time of delivery? Just had it installed a month after delivery - 4/50 or 1/12?
I have the same situation. The coolers were installed at time of delivery, but the hitch has been back-ordered, so is being installed now (soon, I hope). The dealer tells me it will be documented as installed at time of delivery for warranty purposes.
I have that in writing. The contract does not show the hitch being installed at a later time.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Re: Original Question

N_Jay said:
Is the cost of the EXTENDED warentee different if you have the tow package?
No.
Could this be a reason that they don't cover vehicles with the tow package added after the sale?
The presence or absence of a tow package has absolutely no effect on your ability to buy an extended warranty. However, the extended warranty will only cover accessories purchased+installed @ delivery (notable exception in Dale's case -- the Due Bill). Accessories either self- or dealer-installed after delivery are covered 12/12. FWIW in most cases the servicing dealer cannot tell what was installed @ delivery and what was installed afterward. YMMV.
Is there any valid reason the anyone (especially Acura warentee and service personel) knows of that a dealer would claim such?
Because the salesperson wants to make margin on the accessory purchase and installation.

w/r/t your first post: adding the tow package (or any other accessory, OEM or otherwise) will NOT invalidate any warranty. Period. However, if you install an accessory incorrectly (or an accessory that probably shouldn't be on the car -- like Nitrous), and it can be proven to have directly caused a failure, then they can decline warranty service. Keywords here = 'improperly installed' and 'directly caused'.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts