Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Interesting.....this could quite possibly explain why, in the past 3 days, my Navi has been giving me the grey screen with the writing:
"GPS is searching for a signal. Do not move Vehicle at this time. Park car outside away from buildings."
Anyone else been having this trouble? Sometimes it takes the Navi the full 10 minutes to find a signal!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'ved had no issues.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
If your navi is out of commission Yahoo has an excelent online map system. Enter your start and destination and a map will print out with easy to follow step by step directions.

·
Registered
128 Posts
pampered already

manus1980 said:
If your navi is out of commission Yahoo has an excelent online map system. Enter your start and destination and a map will print out with easy to follow step by step directions.
oh, no...
i used to do that before i got my mdx.

but if i asked to do it now
(after tasting navi!)
i won't be able to do it... :D

btw, i prefer mapquest.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Sounds fishy...

Granted, I'm not a card carrying expert when it comes to GPS, but I do know how & why the thing works...

Given that I was trying to figure out what could possibly precipitate an outage. About the ONLY thing I could find was this :
"...without the
civil C/A signal being present. And why would the civil signal not be available?—as we
will see in this paper, the new realities of our military operations may require that the C/A
signal becomes unavailable in the local area of conflict in order to deny our enemies the
use of commercially available GPS receivers."

SO, unless somebody has been trying to set their NAVI for Basra or Baghdad...

·
Registered
840 Posts
LOL. Ok hey, while I'm here, can I ask if the 2003 Nav covers Canada? Or is there a separate Canada DVD disk?

Since it's a DVD drive, why can't I play THE MATRIX while I'm driving if I wanted to? :cool:

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I'd bet A LOT of money that there will be no interruption of GPS signals. For several reasons:

The US has stated that they WOULD NOT implement 'selective availabiliy' in the future, and that they would not degrade GPS for military purposes. (Selective Availaility (SA) was the system whereby the military had high accuracy GPS while Civilian uses had low resolution- now all signals are the same.)

Local jamming is possible.

Local denial (ie only some sattelites) is possible.

Last reason: The frigging BOMBS need GPS to hit the target!

No, if you Nav isn't working, bring it in.

Ard

PS.. Did your hear that the Iraqis had a GPS jammer up and running- so the US bombed it- with a GPS guided bomb. (Not very effective jammer, eh?)

PPS.. Bombs that are guided by GPS use an upward (rearward?) facing antenna that is shielded from signals that are ground based- jammers don't work

PPPS (last one) Found a manual/instructions on building a GPS jammer- pretty interesting...

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Ard...

PPS.. Bombs that are guided by GPS use an upward (rearward?) facing antenna that is shielded from signals that are ground based- jammers don't work
Sounds like the Ruskies ripped off the Iraqis pretty good. I wonder if they have a 90-day money-back guarantee on slightly used jammers.
;)

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Re: Ard...

oceanMDX said:

Sounds like the Ruskies ripped off the Iraqis pretty good. I wonder if they have a 90-day money-back guarantee on slightly used jammers.
;)
Make that 'lightly used jammer PIECES'

:eek:

·
Registered
392 Posts
Re: Re: Ard...

ardvarkus said:

Make that 'lightly used jammer PIECES'

:eek:
I had my Streetpilot out of my X for about a month and just the other day put it back. It not only grabbed satelites and positioned, it was much faster than ever. I almost felt the unit had "rested" and was ready to go! So, from my perspective, no problems with gps since the war started.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts