Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
10,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious how many members find themselves on the fence like me, and seriously considering a 2003 MDX?
Perhaps we can start a thread as more information becomes available. I was told by dealers they do not know that much more in advance of what's released to the media about next year's models.
But rumors are fine too, and I do believe the larger engine will make more sense with the debut of the Honda Pilot.

· Registered
10,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Motor Trend mag on their website, there are a couple of others. They suggest about 3.8 liters and hp anywhere from 260 to 280 .. probably a more significant torque increase, I would think.

According to one dealer I talked to there is a enough meat in the 3.5 to easily go out to 3.9....I don't know where he gets the info, maybe a trade mag.

I agree, it doesn't need more power, and if there is a significant drop in mileage it is certainly not worth it, unless that is to be an optional engine.
Of course, they may temper a drop of a 1 or 2 mpg with the engine only needing regular fuel.

I am not holding out because of the engine either, and agree the crossover market is just beginning to blossom. But I like the MDX, it's a good balance of many qualities, and is sure to spur some real competition. But I doubt if that will be much incentive for me, as there are only a couple of auto companies I would go with anyway, and they are Japanese.
I think Infiniti could make a real showing here, they need to beef up their safety ratings, and put a little more pizzaz in the QX4.. but there is potential there, among others.

· Registered
10,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A month ago I put down a deposit and was told I would likely get a 2003, that is to say it would take 6 months.
They just called me yesterday and told me they had a cancellation and a car coming in May if I was interested.
It was a false alarm and the dealer called back and apologized, as there was one more person in front of me and they wanted the car.
Now he tells me due to some cancellations and more availability I probably will not have to wait very long at all.
So I don't know what's going on. But common sense tells me to just sit it out, and maybe get a 2003 and also have more color choices.
Of course emotions tell me something else when the phone rings.

· Registered
10,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
gadgetdog said:

I've found that many dealers can pull these "data" from thin air. Anything to keep you from running to anther vehicle once they determine that you are not ready to get one immediately...
Except in this case there were none available anyway, so it would not have mattered if I was ready. Had they had the exact one I wanted, I could get ready very quickly!

· Registered
10,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmm. That's interesting. A V8 option makes some sense, but for 4300 lbs it does very well with a beefy V6.
After all, it's not as big as a Sequoia or Land Cruiser, or a 'burb....
So far most rumors on the pop magazines do predict a more powerful V6 but that could change.
And of course they could be fixing a couple of complaints with the 2003 that they never resolved with the 2001 or '02 models. But that would not be much.
I am still tempted to hold out until about July when the real truth should be out.
But if my dealer calls soon, which I think he will, I don't know if I can say No to a 2002. It would take a lot of will power!

· Registered
10,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
oceanMDX said:
It looks like my prediction was right after all. I like the engine in the current MDX, a bigger engine will likely result in poorer fuel mileage. Acura still has to do more to make the purchase of an MDX over the Pilot make sense to me. I would say as a first priority that Acura must improve the quality of the interior, such as using mar-resistant plastic and better leather, etc.
They are predicting the Pilot fully loaded will top out at 32K. Thats a good 3K below the MDX. But will it be as nice?
I don't know. From what I have seen it certainly does not look as nice inside or out, but mechanically it's the same vehicle. If Nav will be available, then that's a plus, but now a fully loaded with Nav will run about 34K.
That's really creeping into MDX and RX300 territory, so the MDX will need to make some departure from what they have now, and I suppose a bigger motor will be one way to do it.
MDX could have a bigger motor with slightly worse mileage, but runs on regular. That might be a fair trade-off.
It will be interesting to see what happens.

· Registered
10,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
golfinvestor said:
She told me they would be taking deposits for the 2003 models in the beginning of June with delivery late November.
Thanks.
I put down a deposit with a dealer last month which I was told is good for a 2002 or a 2003. I can keep refusing a 2002 and stay in line for first available 2003.
It seems if they already have people waiting for 2002's someone would get a little pissed if you made a deposit in June and got ahead of them if they decided to slip their place in qeue to get an '03. I like the Costco deal though, may go down to talk to Costco.

· Registered
10,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
youngsoo-c said:
Dale,
I guess you ordered one at Stevens Creek, didn't you?

I am also waiting for a Silver one from a different dealership.
I would rather stay with 2002 unless mine is delivered by early June (but I am sure it will :D).
So, personally, I would stay... Most of all, I want my MDX soon !!!
No, I ordered mine at Hopkins Acura in Redwood City. I feel the same but if I can't get the colors I want (for example) I am prepared to wait until the 2003's come out.

· Registered
10,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
youngsoo

One more thing, I would not wait for a 2003 based on a larger engine. First of all, that is not confirmed. More major changes like other engines (possibly a V8 model) are anticipated for 2004.

I figure 2003 will more or less cap off the original 2001 design, and incorporate a few refinements and improvements.

· Registered
10,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Everything you heard is true :)

Actually, I was just behind one person for a Granite Green arriving in May, so it may not be that long. Certainly not as long as the 6 to 7 month wait they told me last month when I signed up.
But if my preferences don't show up by summer I have no problem waiting for a 2003, and they know that.

· Registered
10,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Well, I spoke to the auto broker and I am not all that impressed. He stands to make a minimum of $300 (my money) over the MSRP price with the benefit to me of getting a car sooner (supposedly).
But it bothered me when he said I need you to give me a cap on the car. I said, well the cap is MSRP. Why would I pay more?
So he is sounding more like one of the 'other' dealers who miraculously has a car available when you are willing to pay over MSRP.
The only thing he told me that gave me food for thought was my holding out for a Base + Navi. He said Touring + Navi have more availability.
I certainly figured that, but for what you get I always thought the extra $2600 was awful high.
Of course when you look at $37,200 against $39,800 it doesn't seem like THAT much more (I said, fooling myself).
I called Michael Andrews up at Hopkins and he has another GG coming up, Base + Nav that due to another customer wavering on color he could have for me. He said he will put down that I am to be considered for Touring + Nav also.
So we will see. I am going up to Santa Rosa next week and will stop into Prestige Motors and see where they may fit me in.
One interesting anectode, Michael told me he had a Land Rover come in, the guy wanted to do a trade in. (Probably can't sell it!) When he saw what he would get on the trade-in, decided to hold off a while. Buy Ugly, live with Ugly!

· Registered
10,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Read this:

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5279

I have changed my approach. I thought by making myself more available (accepting a tour+nav) my car would be more available but my dealer hardly blinked.

I agree, the roof rack and Bose don't mean a whole lot to me. (Can the rack be repleced or removed, and the open spots filed?)
I have a nice 12 disc Pioneer I will likely move from a minivan we are selling, even if I play it through FM, it is excellent. And I like having a cartridge than a bunch of disks loose in the car ( or in the dash!)
The tires are better, and the memory seat is 'nice' but hardly exciting. And the total pkg. is definitely not worth 2600 clams, but I got to have the Navi regardless, touring or not.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.