Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:) Does the VTM4 fluid that I can get from a Honda dealer the same as from Acura? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
My Honda dealer has stocked VTM-4 fluid since the MDX came out; I think I'll try them for the 15,000 mile service, since their location is closer than the Acura dealer. They assure me that there's no difference between the MDX fluid and the Pilot fluid.

·
** BANNED ** (enough is enough)
275 Posts
There is no Acura branded parts or chemicals. I use HONDA VTM-4 fluid. Or HONDA ATF-Z1, HONDA power steering fluid, HONDA DOT3 brake fluid, and so on.

Rob

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
The VTM-4 fluid I got from Acura dealer has label of HONDA. I couldn't find anywhere indicated ACURA. So I assume you are safe to get the VTM-4 fluid from Honda if the dealer is closer to you.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
VTM-4

:2:

It makes me proud to be a member of this org. Resources are unbelivable. Keep it up guys. So I guess, aside from the oil I will need to get 1. transmission oil pump to any auto parts store 2. long hose for oil pouring, Right? Thanks again in advance.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Re: VTM-4

Solid said:
:2:

It makes me proud to be a member of this org. Resources are unbelivable. Keep it up guys. So I guess, aside from the oil I will need to get 1. transmission oil pump to any auto parts store 2. long hose for oil pouring, Right? Thanks again in advance.
No need to buy a separate hose. Differential pump usually has a long clear hose included. Should cost you around $4 to $5.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
VTM

And so I bought a gallon of VTM(they sell it now by gallons), 2 crush washers and a pump from an acura dealer, when I tried loosening the differential drain plug it wouldn't get loose, it's so tight but Iwas able to remove the filler plug but what good does it do if I can't get the other one out. So now, I will bring this to a mechanic and have them remove it for me.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Hmm...strange Solid. Dunno why it would be stuck if it was torqued correctly. Keep us updated.

Rob:31:

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Re: VTM

Solid said:
...when I tried loosening the differential drain plug it wouldn't get loose, it's so tight but Iwas able to remove the filler plug but what good does it do if I can't get the other one out. So now, I will bring this to a mechanic and have them remove it for me.
Solid,

No need to bring your MDX to the mechanic for this. You may want to use a piece of pipe over the ratchet handle when attempting to loosen the drain plug. This will provide a longer handle for increased leverage, and will make it easy for you to remove the drain plug. This trick always works for me.

Of course, you should not use this setup to tighten the plug. Rather, a torque wrench with the proper setting (33 lbf-ft per owner's manual) should be used.

Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts