Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm new to this foram. And quite frankly I was very happy to see that this site is real...heard rumors but never found it.

Anyway, back to my question. I've got Three 2001 MDX's, and all of them have a problem with the VTM...it doesn't work. That is the light does not come on, ever. Nor does the 4WD engage (power to and from switch).

To tell you the truth, all three vehicles have been modified with Audio/Video eqq. But nothing out of the ordinary (wiring etc.) has been moded. The only thing of significance that has been removed is the rear audio power amp. The power had been disconnected from the vehicles, and all of the interiors have been removed during the build (all has been put back after completion). I know vehicle fabrication/wiring very well, but I'm not past wondering if something from power disconnection/interior removal caused this. Could this be the problem of the VTM not working? Every dealership I have visited can't find the problem...nor do they even really try to. They get scared when they see the aftermarket Audio/Video system, then give me a standard dealership answer (not to knock any dealership people, that is not my intent).

Thanks in advance for any/all help.

Rino.

·
681 Posts
Clarification

Just to make sure I understand your question correctly. Do you mean the light doesn't ever come on while you are driving? That's normal. The drive engages automatically when needed (slippage - acceleration) but the light never comes on. The button ( and light) are only used to LOCK the car in 4 wheel drive with a fixed ratio. It will only work (and the light come on) when the car is in D1 or D2 and should never be engaged on dry pavement.
Given that, if you mean the light does not come on when you are in D1 and manually press the button - then you indeed have a problem and not one that I believe has ever come up in this forum. But then, I don't recall anyone ever completely disconnecting the wiring and removing the interior. My first guess would be that perhaps something needs to be reset in the one of the computer/sensor modules.
Meep Meep

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, did everything the way the owners manual specs. Still doesn't work...to my memory, the VTM did work before the installs. But does not work now, even in the snow.

Just brought one of them to a dealership this morning, and was promptly told that there was no port for diagnosis/code scan. Sounded odd to me. They said they would book them in on hourly time and try to diagnos it.

Roadrunner, you mentioned about a possible comp. re-set?

·
Registered
48 Posts
oh uh...need to check my X' too i had an A/V ugrade too and the problem i have right now is my SRS light won't come off. the installer said that it is normal to have it reset since they removed the seats. the X' is at the dealer right now they are running some diagnostic tests on it to find out what is wrong. i'll also ask them to check if the VTM4 is working properly.

after your install were you able reset the SRS back??? or did you bring it back to the dealer to have it reset...

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Here is the initialization procedure out of the workshop manual ( I have the manual and don't even have an X until Saturday!!)

1) Start the engine, (the VTM-4 indicator comes ON, and the VTM-4 lock switch indicator is OFF).

2) Apply the brakes, and move the shift lever to either R, 1 or 2 position, then push the VTM-4 lock switch (the VTM-4 indicator stays ON, and the VTM-4 lock switch indicator is ON). The VTM-4 is now in Lock Mode.

3) Turn the ignition switch off.

4) Turn the igintion switch ON (II position, don't start!) )the VTM-4 indicator liight and the VTM-4 lock switch indicator both come on for 4 seconds, and then go OFF). The VTM-4 is now initiated.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great, thankyou all very much for the response. Going to try this out tonight.

As far as the SRS light, yep, had to get all Three of them reset.

BTW, if any of you ever need any answers to where/what can can be done as far as aftermarket Audio/Video installs, drop me an e-mail.

I'll try and get some pics e-mailed off to show what we have done.

·
Registered
48 Posts
hey tube,

post some pics on audio and electronics section...want to see your stuff...once i get everything ready i'll also show you how it looks...BTW, i'm not really that good with car audio yet...just want to know will a parametric equalizer like audio control, pioneer, kenwood etc... help a lot in terms of SQ??? just want to get the best out of my system. thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fixed the problem!

Well it seems that the factory amplifier (powers the sub and rears) also has something to do with the VTM. So, DON'T UNPLUG THE FACTORY REAR AMP! If anyone cares, its the black box behind the rear pass side interior pannel...the one behind the furthest rear side door.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Dromayn

Sure, I would love to post some pics...just don't know how to. Can you show me?

P.S. Nice system in your ride, should sound good. As far as a Parametric EQ, I love them. To me, they are much, much better than a Graphic. The Para. gives you the option to adjust Q factor as well as intensity...you can really get very find adjustments on your RTA curve.

BTW, the systems in our X's are somewhat small, mainly Video but still cool.

·
Registered
48 Posts
tube,

when you do a reply or a post you will see that you have an "Attach File" option before the " Submit Reply" button. Right beside that Attach file you will see the "Browse" button just click on it and a pop out window will show up. over there you will see the directory structure. just go to the specific directory where your picture file is at. after that just hit the "open" button. afterwards just hit the "Submit reply". that is it. just make sure your file is not that big.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just adding some more pics. Factory Headunit has been removed and replaced with DVD and Control screen, then taped to protect against fiberglass construction (for new radio trim)

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
tube,

great pics....can't wait to see the finished product.. post your pics once everything is back in place...where are you based at??? who knows someday i might need another upgrade....i'll post my pics too once everything is completed...will that sub fit were the OEM sub is????

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Found some pics

More of the Stereo to come...just can't find them at the moment. Too much stuff on my comp.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts