Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 MDX Touring with about 165,000 miles. I am the original owner and need to get it through one more winter in Wisconsin. The VTM light is turing on. This is what I have done so far after reading the posts on MDXers. I replaced the differential temperature sensor and changed the differential fluid before having one of my buddies (Master Mechanic at Acura) scan for the codes. VTM light came back on. After reading the codes it said the right front speed sensor was having issues and gave a code of 22-2. I had by buddy replace the right front speed sensor and the VTM light still turned on. I watched when the light turned on diligently. The VTM light would be off when I start the vehicle but when I move it about 20 feet (forward or back) it would turn on. It was still showing right front speed sensor issue when checking the codes. We decided to replace the traction control module back by the third row seat. I found one on eBay at a reasonable price and plugged it in. I was hopeful when I made it past the 20 feet and no light. I drove it around the block and about three quarters of the way around the light came back on. I had my wife drive the car around the corner with me in the back moving the wiring around to see if I could identify a short somewhere. I could hear a relay in the traction control module trip when the VTM light would come on. The VTM light would clear when she pulled over and shut the car off then turned on again before making it the rest of the way around the block. I then left the traction control module sit on the floor where the third row seat normally is and drove it over the weekend. To my amazement the light would stay off for about 5 miles varying speeds from 5 mph to 60 mph. After about 5 miles at 60 mph the VTM light turned on. Then I drove it around town staying below 40 mph and I made it multiple trips of about 5 miles with no light! I was hopeful it cleared itself. I even put it in first gear and engaged the full time four wheel drive and it worked!! The next day driving it again under 40 mph the VTM light came on again. You can imagine how frustrated I am now... It seams I am back to just moving the vehicle 20 feet and the VTM light turns on again. Does anyone have any recommendations? I plan on taking it back to my buddy to pull the codes again. I have been trying to stay away from the dealer becuase my buddy has all the equipment he uses at the Acura Dealership. I have spent approximately $220 so far and really do not want to stick alot more money in it since we are going to sell it in the spring. I really do not want to sell it with the VTM light on which will effect the price dramaticaly.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
It sure sounds like it's going to come down to a wiring / connector problem. But apparently there is also a possibility that a dragging brake could cause the same issue. Might be worth checking out.

Here is the troubleshooting process for your code (for 21-1 - 21-2 - 22-1 - 22-2 added for future searchability).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts