Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to change the VTM fluid and when? I remember the dealer saying something about changing it the first time at about 7k.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Two suggestions:

1. Look in the manual.
2. Try a search.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
First VTM-4 fluid change is at 7,500 miles.

Then, if you follow the normal maintenance schedule, it is at 30,000, 60,000, 90,000, 120,000, etc. miles or every two years.

If you follow the "severe" maintenance schedule, it is 15,000, 30,000, 45,000, 60,000, 75,000, 90,000, 105,000, 120,000, or every 12 months.

There have been some incorrect statements that it's "every 7,500 miles for severe maintenance."

You only need to follow the severe schedule if you drive under the conditions clearly outlined in the manual. Beware that some dealerships, in an attempt to try to increase their service department revenue, will try to talk you into the severe schedule when you don't need it. The key is that the manual says that you have to frequently/mostly drive under some of those conditions. If you only drive occasionally under those conditions, the severe schedule does not apply.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I'm cool with the schedule, I'm actually more interested in how you do it. I do the maintenance myself, I just never changed VTM fluid and I don't want to pay $200 for a repair manuel, cause it's not in the stock manual.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Sleeone,

Again use the Search function to look for VTM Fluid. There are threads with detailed discussions by DIY folks.

Cheers :)

·
Registered
1,172 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
VTM-4 "TSB"

I just recently was browsing Tim's web site (www.hondacuraworld.com) and one of the TSBs is actually called "VTM-4" fluid change. In there, they repeat the schedule, making extra emphasis on the first one after 7,500 miles or 6 months :(:(:( - I never knew about 6 months, so, it will be a year for me at 7,500 miles in about a month.

They also say to use VTM-4 fluid and I believe say that itc container comes with the pump.

Read that TSB for more info.

·
Registered
818 Posts
VTM

Just got finished changing my engine oil and filter and my VTM fluid. The whole process took 1 1/2 hours. I used Mobil One 10-30 with a OEM Honda oil filter. The VTM fluid and pump I picked up at my local Acura dealer (Crown Acura, Clearwater Florida) for $23.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Engine Oil Recommendations

Owner's Manual says 5W20 but the oil cap on the engine says 5W30. Personally, I'm going to use Mobil1 5W30.

When I get my backordered Factory Shop Manuals it'll be interesting to see the oil journal clearances and what the Service Manual recommends.

Mobil1's a great product. I've been using it for 20 years. I'd be interested hearing from anyone using synthetic products from other manufacturers.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Thanks, WMQUAN, I just picked up

my MDX yesterday from the Acura dealer and he said the VTM next fluid change was at 30,000 miles and not 15000 as I thought. I checked the manual and it is exactly as you stated. Earlier today I noticed someone said 15000 miles fro the VTM change and I thought I was losing what memory I had left.

Thanks for verifying what I thought was correct.

I will never buy/lease a vehilce without free maintence for the life of the warranty. The prices they charge at the dealer are high for regular maintenance as required in the manual.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Re: Thanks, WMQUAN, I just picked up

GaTadpole777 said:
I will never buy/lease a vehilce without free maintence for the life of the warranty. The prices they charge at the dealer are high for regular maintenance as required in the manual.
I guess some of it depends on one's area. E.g. my Acura dealership is a bit on the high side on scheduled maintenance, probably because they're in a "richer" area than other Acura dealerships around here. I've seen VTM-4 fluid change prices all over the map here (there was a thread on it some time ago).

I think Volvo has scheduled maintenance included now. So does BMW, though you have to pay to boost it from something like two or three years to the full four years. MB's have it too but unlike the BMW's, it doesn't include brake pads.

While one could argue that the cost of the maintenance is subsidized in the cost of the vehicle, I think doing it that way at least removes some of the high variations some dealerships will charge.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Re: VTM

rvehock said:
Just got finished changing my engine oil and filter and my VTM fluid. The whole process took 1 1/2 hours. I used Mobil One 10-30 with a OEM Honda oil filter. The VTM fluid and pump I picked up at my local Acura dealer (Crown Acura, Clearwater Florida) for $23.
I plan on changing the VTM Fluid myself. I keep reading about "need a PUMP" to pump the fluid back in due to access restriction. Question/s, can I get this pump from a regular auto parts store? Is this a motorized pump or manual? Has anyone used any other instrument other than a "PUMP"?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Re: Re: VTM

nanali1 said:

I plan on changing the VTM Fluid myself. I keep reading about "need a PUMP" to pump the fluid back in due to access restriction. Question/s, can I get this pump from a regular auto parts store? Is this a motorized pump or manual? Has anyone used any other instrument other than a "PUMP"?
Thanks
Yes, the pump can be purchased from a regular auto parts store (like Auto Zone, Kragen, Pep Boys, etc.). This is a manual pump that fits all standard 1 gallon fluid reservoirs (including VTM fluid), and should cost you about $4 or $5. I recommend getting one with clear extension tubing for easier access to MDX's differential plug opening.

·
Registered
5 Posts
From other posts, it is a manual one and costs only few bucks.

Called Acura dealer the other day for VTM-4 change and quoted - $90. Made another call to Honda services and had it change yesterday with same Honda VTM-4 fluid and two new washers - total around $42. Not too bad...

·
Registered
131 Posts
The Pump

The Pumps is a standard "Transmission Fluid Pump" available at any auto parts store.
They are hand pumps like a softsoap bottle just bigger.
They are usually designed for either Quart or Gallon bottles.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Thank you all with the advise on changing VTM fluid. Got the fluid last night from Honda dealer in Brooklyn where my cousin works. Spoke to some mechanics for more suggestions on other ways getting the fluid back in the differential. See below:

- Drained OLD fluid to the last drop
- Refilled using dishwahser liquid spout (fits perfect on the VTM fluid container) and 6 inch rubber hose.
- Used almost 3 qts of fluid (believe it or not) 'till it dripped
- replaced old washers

Total cost is $12.83 and took about 30 mins to complete.
:29:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts