Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time AWD user. Bought our 06 MDX Touring this spring and this is the first time we've ever had an AWD vehicle. Always Ford 4x4 in the past. We have a steep drive and am unsure how to operate the VTM-4 system in the snow, which I'll need to do this afternoon. Looking for a little advice.

·
Registered
171 Posts
It's all wheel drive all the time. U will probably be fine just like that. If not, Vtm only engaged in first and second gears iirc, so shift it down to first or second at a stop and push the button, light should indicate engagement.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
97 Posts
Like Bratcop said VTM-4 is always active, from a stop through 19 mph in 1st and 2nd gear. If it senses slip it will remain engaged longer.

I'll need to look back through the instructions to see if it can re-engage on the move or at higher speeds.

But for your purposes if you can stop and then approach, you shouldn't have any problems.

Also if you press the VTM-4 button it acts like a locked differential. So that can be handy on ice or mud. But don't press it on surfaces that won't let your tires slip or you could wreck the transfer case or differential.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice guys. They plowed our drive and I've been in and out a couple of times. Our 1/4 mile gravel road has both snow and ice and the suv worked just fine. A little different than 4x4 but I'm getting used to it. Thanks again!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts