Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in line for the car wash and suddenly noticed that the VSA was turned off. I pushed the VSA button to turn it ON but did not help. I turned the ignition to off and started the X again. This time VSA was fine. My X is only 4 weeks old. Should I be concerned? Or is this a common thing that happens once in a while? It is not that I needed the VSA to be functioning at that time but just the fact that it turned off with no reason.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey Mantrika,

Was this happened during the wash? If it is, you might have some sort of electrical related problems. This problem could be caused by one of your VSA sensors, such as the four wheel speed sensors located at each of the wheels, steering angle sensor, yaw sensor, lateral acceleration sensor, vehicle speed sensor, etc.

If any one or more of the sensors is malfunctioned, the VSA would become totally cripple. It would automatically shut itself off and turn on the check light to notify the driver, as a safety precaution, it can't perform the stability control function anymore, time to see your dealer. The shut off status will maintained as long as the engine is still running even if the sensor is momentarily malfunctioned and normal again. It will recalibrate itself on the next engine ignition. And if everything is normal, the check light will go out. Otherwise, it will keep stay on.

The most vulnerable sensor among the sensors is the vehicle speed sensor (4 of them). It is constantly exposed to the elements directly. Any imperfect electrical connection on it can invite trouble. Water, especially pressurized water, salt, and car-wash chemical agents can sip into the connection and cause the circuit to be shorted or opened. The sensor itself can also be affected by these elements but rarely. They could render the sensor sensitivity to nothing permanently or temporarily.

For your case, if vehicle speed sensor is the problem, you might have a loose or leaking electrical connector in at least one of the sensors. You could try to duplicate the problem again by washing it in another car-wash. (If there is nothing wrong with your car, your previous car-washer might have some sort of magnetic induction causing the sensors to go berserk.) If it happens again, have your dealer check it out. Otherwise, it might be just one of those isolated temporary electrical glitches. Good luck.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks kucat for the information. This did not happen during the car wash but happened while waiting for the car wash. I will keep an eye on the surrounding conditions if and when it happens again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts