Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So took a trip during a snow storm. Made the trip fine with no issue. Drove onto the edge of my lawn a little that had about 4" of snowso I can move my TL. Then back the MDX up and hit the brakes car slide a little then all went to hell. I now have message saying Check VSA, ABS and SHAWD. Tried unplugging battery but that didnt reset it.

I read online if you cross pin 4 and 9 you can get diag code. I got a DTC B1205 PA51. Not sure what that means... :-(

I checked all fuses and nothing blew.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I tried swapping batteries with my TL and still have that issue. So that rules out the bad battery issue. I bought two new rear abs sensors. Ill swap that out tomorrow and update on if that fixes it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a 2008 w/ Tech and Entertainment Package. I replaced both abs sensors and that did not fix it. Something is draining the battery. Probably a short somewhere. I notice both my heated mirrors have brown marks on them at the bottom and that they were warm when the car was off.

·
Registered
60 Posts
What codes were shown in the nav? Did you have the switch for the heated mirrors on or were they running on their own?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What codes were shown in the nav? Did you have the switch for the heated mirrors on or were they running on their own?

They were running on their own. So I went to check the rear brakes the rotors look shot. Deep and wide Gouges in them. The pads has like no meat on it. Would that trigger abs\vsa\shawd?

·
Registered
798 Posts
I tried swapping batteries with my TL and still have that issue. So that rules out the bad battery issue. I bought two new rear abs sensors. Ill swap that out tomorrow and update on if that fixes it.
Why do you only suspect the rear abs sensors? Do you know for a fact that it's not the front's? I'd get it on a scanner rather than put all that labor into guessing and see if the scanner brings back any faults. The good scanners with the ability to read ABS computer will tell you exactly which sensor is at fault.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why do you only suspect the rear abs sensors? Do you know for a fact that it's not the front's? I'd get it on a scanner rather than put all that labor into guessing and see if the scanner brings back any faults. The good scanners with the ability to read ABS computer will tell you exactly which sensor is at fault.
Hey Alpine,

I guess I can't 100% rule out the fronts. I decided to just bring her in to Acura. Bought two scanners that says they read ABS but unfortunately not Acura\Honda ABS.
I'll update once I get the news from Acura.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got report back from acura, Bad front Right Speed sensor. I assume that is the same as abs sensor? Also the idle air control valve. Quote is $1500 to fix.... WTH. Well now that I know what's wrong I can replace the corrects parts. Anyone know hat the part number is for the IACV?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Hi!

Yes this is common issue with ABS Sensors (aka Speed Sensors) so it is spot on with the diagnosis.

On to the IACV, The 2nd Generation DOES NOT HAVE an IACV.. Thanks to the fully electronic Throttle Body the main Butterfly of the TB acts as IACV and thus it does not need a dedicated IACV as the older cars. This is probably why the dealership is asking 1500 bucks because they need to replace the entire Throttle Body.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Well scratch that, the TB is not that expensive... So dealership, Stealership mode kick in?

I dunno which one you need though, That is what comes up for a 2008 MDX Tech + RES.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
you proly don't need a new tb. just clean it with tb cleaner might work. anyway, take it apart and take a look. better than theorize and guess.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
The real question here is how the TB got dirty enough to affect the main butterfly..
OP, Do you use regular gas on the MDX?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
93 octane only occasionally 91 if 93 is not available. It's my wife's car so hopefully she has been using the right fuel.

Going to order the parts today for abs and get some cleaner for the air sensor.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Get it out of there! $1500???

Like someone said, just clean the tb first and do a visual check closely. If nothing is cracked, you may be fine. IACV... Lol This isn't a 90's car...

You can also get speed sensor from Napa(~$25), if the dealership doesn't have it in stock as it's the same part, even down to the markings(most likely repackaged OEM part). I'll try to dig up a pic I took last time.

If your car has corrosion or is from a snow state, be prepared for a cussing fest and allow at least a half day for a DIY. If no DIY, I recommend a good Indy mechanic. Shop time shouldn't be more than a couple hours for that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So the quick job turned to a nightmare. The ABS sensor is completely seized in the knuckle. sigh.

Going to have to drill it out. so going to separate the axle from the knuckle so I don't do any damage to the abs ring.

I also bought a new MAP sensor. I think this is what they were were talking about. Over the phone they told me IACV but on the paper it says IAT...I can't see to locate where the IAT is. I bought a new MAP sensor because they told me the sensor was in the TB and that was the only sensor I was able to see on parts diagram.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The IAT is the intake air temperature sensor. That is located on top of the airbox, next to the inlet tube. The MAP sensor is as you said, on top of the throttle body.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So new update.

Front rotors and Pads replaced as recommended by Acura. DIY Job.

I popped in the new ABS Sensor. The light went off....1/4 mile down road light back on.... :(

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
To took car back to acura. They said they did another inspection and found that when I drilled out the abs sensor. I drilled a little to far and damaged the wheel bearing and knuckle. Cost for new Wheel Bearing and knuckle is 900$ installed.

Found a Knuckle from a 2013 Acura MDX for $95. this should be a fair straight forward job....lol.

Unbolt the 2 strut bolts, remove tie rod, axle nut, and finally pop the knuck off the lower ball joint....haha

Will do that tonight and will report back.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
How did you find the knuckle from 2013 MDX? The Pick'n Pull junk yards in my area (CA) do not have newish cars at all. Those in Sacramento have, but they sell the parts at about 80% MSRP.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts