Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts
The only thing Acura has the Volvo beat is price. Which other carmaker can offer the acurawatch package (similar safety tech) at $56k (current prices dealers are offering the advanced for)?

BMW comparably equipped: 66k
Infiniti comparably equipped: 57k
Volvo comparably equipped: 58k

Lexus: Has no direct competitor. RX is a 5 passenger vehicle.
MB has no direct competitor as the ML/GLE only has 5 seats and GL has 7 but is a larger vehicle in both physical specifications and $$$$.
Audi doesn't offer anything as their products are influx new generation and the current one has nothing in line with safety tech minus a adaptive cruise and bsm.

BTW the ML is going through it's mid cycle refresh and new moniker but same ole product.

Infotainment systems currently in use by Honda products are garbage. Excellent idea terrible execution. Will it get better? For sure the sheer amount of outrage this gen of Honda/Acura owners has probably got the ball rolling in the next wave of products.

The German automakers are the standard for infotainment currently. Previously it was Honda and Toyota who had good systems and the Europeans were terrible. But the tides have turned.

BMW IDrive: Very snappy, Ultra high res display (at least for a car display). Handwriting recognition, 4G LTE, both phone based and car based voice recognition work.

MB Command: Very old, outdated in the ML. The new S, C have a very advanced system, with almost the same useability as the Idrive unit. Only problems that I can knock it with is thats it not offered in too many vehicles.

Audi MMI: The q7 screen is old. The next gen moves to touchpad and knob but its on a whole new level. The system takes the instrument cluster and MMI screen and integrates that into two physical seperate but UI connected. Again I would have loved a bigger screen for the MMI, but since they make the instrument cluster an additional screen for only the driver cannot complain. Google Earth was already a feature with this system from the start so makes it even more amazing now. Plus for all those in the know, this one utilizes Nvidia hardware guts so it can really pack a punch.

The basics of infotainment systems is objectified by the phrase "it just works". If your system doesn't make 90% of users say that after using it, its crap.

With the Acura system, the hardware is slow.
-I mean iPhone 3G after iOS 4 was installed. It needs more compute power.
-Next off the interface needs to be standardized. It makes no sense to have 2 separate displays. Keep one large one and be done. Touchscreen and knob.
-Next update the screen to have at least iPhone 4 ppi.
-Get a higher density maps db.
-Integrate CarPlay and Android Car from the get.

With the Volvo system its a ground up interface.
-Tablet screen with a home button. One click and your back at the most important functions of the system
-Dedicated ribbon for climate
-Snappy response due to hardware and also IR scanners that "sense" where your finger is and what the system is displaying at any moment
-Gestures on the screen mimic a common tablet (so theyre playing on familiarity most drivers have nowdays)
-The Instrument cluster is no longer analog. Its also a screen that can display the most pertinent information that you need along a journey like maps etc.
-Glove compatible.

The Materials that have been previewed are far more premium. Leather wrapped dash, crystal gear shift level, the texturing on the leather. Again these are all materials and design that are necessary for a premium CUV.

The engines also produce 315 HP and 290 Lbs from a 4 cylinder with DI/FI. Due note the DI "ticking" sound that everyone has posted here is also there. However since the XC90 is a modern design the interior NVH is far more refined and thus you cant hear it. 8 speed is I believe from Asin (not sure on that).

Driving experiences most reviewers are in the same spot. Compliant ride but wont win over an X5, Cayenne. However I think that could change with the adaptive suspension they are planning to offer.

Driver safety tech is bar none. Its a volvo lol

Most of the MDX buyers are looking for value and reliability. Price is one of their reason they bought the MDX, if not the main reason.

The only comparable you SUVs you mentioned is the Qx60 at the same price point. But early CVT issues drove people away from it. But it is still selling well and I see alot of them here in Socal. I had a friend who had the whole transmission replaced after driving the car for a week after buying it.

Of course, you want better tech, better pay for it.

For me, the infotainment screen is serving its purpose.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

a twin charged 2.0 4 banger. no thanks. too much complexity and parts to break with no real robust fuel savings. i guess you could chip it and pully it for some fun.
-True that FI/DI is complex, but all "real" modern engines are going this method. The MDXs current engine is technically still an older engine with the added benefit of DI. Currently all DI engines face the issue of carbon buildup due to higher heat cycling. Now in the old days with MPI, one run of some detergents like PEA would cure that. But since DI is placed further in the cylinder carbon buildup cannot be easily removed. So reliability with DI is not really something which is bulletproof. The only real solution that automakers have come with is something like Toyota's D4S where they use Port and Direct injection. Plus with a brand like Toyota who was notoriously late to the FI game joining the ranks, I don`t see Honda holding out with their engine development. Next generation MDX will have a turbo.

Most of the MDX buyers are looking for value and reliability. Price is one of their reason they bought the MDX, if not the main reason.

The only comparable you SUVs you mentioned is the Qx60 at the same price point. But early CVT issues drove people away from it. But it is still selling well and I see alot of them here in Socal. I had a friend who had the whole transmission replaced after driving the car for a week after buying it.

Of course, you want better tech, better pay for it.

For me, the infotainment screen is serving its purpose.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Not gonna like when I heard infiniti was making a MDX competitor I jumped for joy. However when I heard their sport CUV would have a CVT, I was put off. Thank god, the CVT horror stories are plentiful. Plus the infotainment system, although very simple to use and works well, is getting old in the tooth.

Well to be honest a volvo isnt that far off in terms of $$$ to an advanced sticker price. Plus you can pick it up in gothernsburg for an European Delivery. However when all is said, sticker prices are for suckers so lol

I'm an IT guy, but I guess I'm old school. I don't care for latest mobile gadgetry in my TV, in my phone, or in my car. I never cared for real wood, leather stitching, LED lighting -- all those "must-haves" of a premium SUV. While I do appreciate them all (more or less) when offered at no extra cost, I refuse to pay a dime extra to get them, especially when bundled with other "luxury must-haves" I care even less for. It's why MDX, year after year, wins me over. I took a brake for 3 years and got RX, and after 6 months I was done and ready to move on. It's a dull driving, "high quality" appliance, no matter how many spindles Lexus adds to it. Even if it offers a 3rd row in the next generation. I was ready to give Q7 a chance, even with much dated tech, but it surprised me (less usable interior space, less leg room in second row, harder to get into 3rd row, harsher ride, tiny storage compartment). X5 was a close call, but with 3rd baby on the way, the 3rd row is no longer an extra, it's a must have, and X5's expensive add-on was not justifiable for a permanent use.

Too bad Volvo XC90 did not arrive sooner. I was very interested in at least giving it a chance before jumping into another MDX. But I'm also skeptical about twin turbo 4-banger and want it to proof itself in US. I figured 3 years is enough time to let the 1st gen pioneers do the testing. I truly hope it succeeds. When 4 years ago Infinity announced JX35, I was waiting with excitement... and CVT on wheels came out. If only they made it drive like FX.

I'm an IT guy, but I guess I'm old school. I don't care for latest mobile gadgetry in my TV, in my phone, or in my car. I never cared for real wood, leather stitching, LED lighting -- all those "must-haves" of a premium SUV. While I do appreciate them all (more or less) when offered at no extra cost, I refuse to pay a dime extra to get them, especially when bundled with other "luxury must-haves" I care even less for. It's why MDX, year after year, wins me over. I took a brake for 3 years and got RX, and after 6 months I was done and ready to move on. It's a dull driving, "high quality" appliance, no matter how many spindles Lexus adds to it. Even if it offers a 3rd row in the next generation. I was ready to give Q7 a chance, even with much dated tech, but it surprised me (less usable interior space, less leg room in second row, harder to get into 3rd row, harsher ride, tiny storage compartment). X5 was a close call, but with 3rd baby on the way, the 3rd row is no longer an extra, it's a must have, and X5's expensive add-on was not justifiable for a permanent use.

Too bad Volvo XC90 did not arrive sooner. I was very interested in at least giving it a chance before jumping into another MDX. But I'm also skeptical about twin turbo 4-banger and want it to proof itself in US. I figured 3 years is enough time to let the 1st gen pioneers do the testing. I truly hope it succeeds. When 4 years ago Infinity announced JX35, I was waiting with excitement... and CVT on wheels came out. If only they made it drive like FX.
True the Lexus pre-l-finnese was a nice appliance. However if you have a chance try it out the new NX F-Sport. Very competent ride for an SUV gunning for the X3. Again no DHP (adaptive suspension) and RWD but sure does make you believe in the brand again. Materials are quite expensive, both visually and physically. Wish they didnt handicap the options list (Cannucks get adaptive suspension as an options but not the US??). Lexus sure knows what alot of people are after in the CUV market, visual flair, driving experience that you can carve canyons, and a price that wont make you cry

The RX350 2016 is launching with a more powerful engine and adaptive suspension for the F-sport. Competition in the 2 row segment is surely heating up.

The infiniti brand is lost without De Nyschen (former audi). It needs to figure out whether they want to be performance oriented or not.

Whew, i am glad that you are not praying for more issues for me and my family! You must now realize how STUPID that was to write that. Plain idiotic.

As for your other points...notice how most of the systems you mentioned are already on their 3rd or 4th generation. This is Acura 1st gen system. And it is fairly unique to what everyone else is doing. Would it not be better to compare the system in the upcoming Pilot vs. others?

Yeah, it sucks that you got a 1st year model. Being in the auto business (you claimed), you should know better, right? You want some cheese to go with your whine?

Maybe you need to spend more time with auto manufacturers? It seems that you know less than an internet junkie like me. (And hint: lets not assume something about me that you know nothing about.)

German love? Yeah, it sure seems like you are pretty ignorant about German car issues.

Got any good prays lately?
Not really. Buyers don`t really live in the past, they care about the now. Yes a SA can say apologize for a bad touchscreen and claims its only their first attempt but not many people would be content with that apology. They aren`t trying to purchase stock in Honda/Acura in the hopes of appreciation, they are buying a depreciating asset.

This forum could use a couple active mods.

Keeping on topic. Pending a test drive and all that - if the xc90 was out already; I probably would've got it instead of the 16 MDX. The three row SUV market is pretty crappy IMO.

The infinitis are ugly as hell. How much chrome colored plastic can you slap on a car? How bubbly and bulbous can one go? The there's the part that it's made by Nissan.... :28::28:

The Lexus GX, and the LX for that matter hasn't had any update aside from styling refreshing in forever. :28:, which sucks because I personally love the Lexus product. As a vehicle and thier customer experience.

The Q7 is in the same boat as the Lexus products. :28:

I do like the MB GL, but I'm not willing to pay the premium for the options packages on that ride.

Then you're left with the Americans.... In which the Durango is the best choice IMO. Even if you don't like it, it knows it's place... Unlike the GMC/Chev three rows who want 60-70k when you start adding options.

The RX350 2016 is launching with a more powerful engine and adaptive suspension for the F-sport. Competition in the 2 row segment is surely heating up.
The entire current Lexus lineup has a common "theme" that reminds me of a cylon helmet from the original battleship galactica series. A face only a mother would love, IMO. :headshake

In contrast, new XC90 has a very classic clean look that may be a bit boring, but certainly not a visual assault with all the curves and sharp angles such as RX.

MDX's exterior design is somewhere in the middle, IMO.

It's funny how all things I see on the Internet about Lexus recent redesigns are negative - but their public sales figures are really high and the dealership local to me is crammed with people. When I bought my Lexus last week there were easily 25 others taking delivery in and outside of thier delivery garage.

Discussion starter · #52 ·
This forum could use a couple active mods.

Keeping on topic. Pending a test drive and all that - if the xc90 was out already; I probably would've got it instead of the 16 MDX. The three row SUV market is pretty crappy IMO.

The infinitis are ugly as hell. How much chrome colored plastic can you slap on a car? How bubbly and bulbous can one go? The there's the part that it's made by Nissan.... :28::28:

The Lexus GX, and the LX for that matter hasn't had any update aside from styling refreshing in forever. :28:, which sucks because I personally love the Lexus product. As a vehicle and thier customer experience.

The Q7 is in the same boat as the Lexus products. :28:

I do like the MB GL, but I'm not willing to pay the premium for the options packages on that ride.

Then you're left with the Americans.... In which the Durango is the best choice IMO. Even if you don't like it, it knows it's place... Unlike the GMC/Chev three rows who want 60-70k when you start adding options.
The Toyota Sequoia and Nissan Armada are worth a look!

Umm what's wrong with Nissan? Kind of like how the acura is a honda, lexus is a toyota. If anything, Nissan can make a car, maybe just not the one you want.

Case in point, gtr. I actually do like the FX and G37, they aren't for me but they're nice cars for the money. The QX is just too big.

The Toyota Sequoia and Nissan Armada are worth a look!
Sequoia has fallen victim to the never been updated bug as some of the rest.

i personally can't handle most Nissans.

Umm what's wrong with Nissan? Kind of like how the acura is a honda, lexus is a toyota. If anything, Nissan can make a car, maybe just not the one you want.

Case in point, gtr. I actually do like the FX and G37, they aren't for me but they're nice cars for the money. The QX is just too big.
I get how the luxury brand offshoots work. That not the problem. Nissan doesn't make a very nice car. That might be a mostly a personal opinion. However much like BMW, every Nissan product I've ridden in is falling apart. Trim, seats, body and engine noises. If anything they are at the bottom of the Japanese barrel.

I used to really like the FX, now called QX70. But it's fallen victim to too many chrome accent pieces. I liked the G35 coupe a lot as well... It's no longer for me with its recent styling changes. Also coincidentally... I prefer the Z over the G. Hell even the GTR looks like a cheap piece of junk to me.

Well the poster isnt entirely wrong. Nissan (and I mean cars that carry a nissan badge and are below a sub 30k sticker) look sporty but too many materials show signs of cost cutting. I owned a nissan back in the day, and Day 1, the vehicle looked amazing. Day 3650 the nissan had began falling apart even with by the book maintenance. And since alot of the Infiniti vehicles have nissan platforms and parts it does not inspire alot of confidence. Case in point the CVT on the QX60. Its shared amongst alot of the nissan lineup and similar complaints.

Now if your strictly referring to the fact that your sole displeasure with the QX60 is a better appointed Nissan Pathfinder.....I would suggest you get some glasses that help you avoid bumping into the Next Generation Honda Pilot and Honda Odyssey. :29:

Platform sharing is commonplace. Lexus NX=> RAV 4/ Audi q5->Tiguan->Macan

For me, i do not care much about updates as long as it works. LX is a classic. GX looks too weird to me...it is super nice, but the exterior has not grown on me.

Regardless, both of those SUVs eat gas like there's no tomorrow! I drive around 25k miles per year...those Lexus biggies will bankrupt me! :p
Those Lexus vehicles are hella capable. BODY ON FRAME !!!!!

However those vehicles end up as status symbols majority of the time. And right they serve their purpose fine. The infotainment is really, old but the gizmos for offroading etc are bar none. But again no one buys the LX or GX to go offroad with lol

Very true. But is it as debilitating as some make it out to be? Not sure about 2014 model which apparently had very slow hardware, but my 2015 is decent. Works as advertised. Don't use NAVI; i prefer my phone. ELS is great. AC is good. When i touch the screen, it responds.

Now, since you brought up Lexus NX above, have you seen this: The death of "flawless." I rescind. - Lexus NX Forum

Apparently, this is a MMI error in the LATEST Lexus MMI due to you connecting your iPhone to USB and using BT at the same time. Now, THAT problem is indeed debilitating if you're driving on the highway.

As for the XC90, it looks nice...but there are many things in life that looks nice, but turns to crap when you actually use it. Volvo has never been a brand based on durability nor reliability...and now it is on its 3rd or 4th owner in less than a decade (just a guess).

Just wait and see...my prediction is that their forum will light up with issues as is the case with most 1st year models.
True that their are differences in hardware (not guaranteeing that I suppose it could be a software update) however the majority of reviews compare different MY, and the common theme is the same; acura got this system wrong, like really badly executed. On top of that having Navi and other features that I`m paying for should work. I shouldn`t have to compromise on something as big as the main vehicle interface on the car. Everything you do like radio etc are through the Acura infotainment screen. That would be similar to paying $800 for an iPhone that doesnt make calls properly, and instead you have to go purchase another phone just for that central feature. Again the other features of the car do makeup for the infotainment system but still its hard, as you said technology is always making what you have in your hand older, and if at Day 0 your behind then imagine at Day 365 how bad it will get.

On the lexus issue, I`m glad you brought that up. What your describing is the common theme that even companies as reliable as Lexus are screwing up, plus the NX isnt using a 1st generation system, its almost in its 3rd iteration and it still sucks. The problem here with most non german luxury brands specifically acura, infinti, and lexus is that all acknowledge the fact that they are behind the germans by a decade. And for some reason they feel that the only way to beat them and offer a superior system is to come up with a new unique solution. Which is good, but most of them end feeling as though they are trying too hard or trying too little in their solutions.

For instance lexus and their system. The remote touch/dial is terrible interface. Has anyone in the engineering department ever used a touchpad on a laptop in their car to say play Halo, you cannot be precise. Hence why dials and knobs work soo much better. Plus the maps database (at least all vehicles prior to the RX 16) are grainy and low res.

Reliability in a modern car is an outdated metric (outdated not by choice but by the complexity of the modern vehicle). Every single car, even our forum lit up like a christmas tree with traffic about DI tick, rear fuel pump, suspension issues, Infotainment. If a brand like Acura has forum members posting threads about issues like this in its first year, we cannot count out Volvo or speculate about the future.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.