Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts
Explain please about Volvo touchscreen and how it is different than MDX.
I guess you didn't watch the video I linked in my reply to your earlier post?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=air9PUCjUjM

If you watch that and still think it's the same thing, well.... I guess there's no point in further discussion. :headshake

And yes, the XC90 is most certainly a competitor if you compare prices with feature per feature. You'd have to buy just about every available option on an MDX to have the features on a 'bare bone' XC90.

Chris

Explain please about Volvo touchscreen and how it is different than MDX.
Objectively, the XC90 screen at 9" is larger than the MDX one fwiw. And from the Car And Driver review link kindly provided by a poster earlier in this thread -
Yet the smartest aspect of Sensus isn’t the user interface, but the hardware. By providing enough processing power to keep up with your swipes and taps, Volvo excels where several have failed. Pay attention, Cadillac.
...I'm quoting this because on the MDX there have been some complaints about the speed performance of the Nav - like the delay when typing on the keyboard. I haven't played with their screen or even researched it so I don't know which would be better but I don't think the MDX sets the bar very high on this attribute.

But one thing I really like about the MDX design in this area is the placement of the Nav screen. It's up high without 'being in your face high' (like some of the pop-up variety) for less distraction than looking down lower in the stack and taking one's eyes that much more off the road. The XC90 one seems on the low side.

XC90 is not a direct competitor to Acura MDX since the bare bone model starts at $50K while MDX's top model is at $57K.
I think it's a direct competitor due to the type of vehicle it is and since the prices are in the ballpark with the MDX - i.e. within about 10%. Like the MDX, there's no true 'basic' model - even the lowest model is well equipped. I didn't compare all the features for a true apples/apples comparison since I have no plans to buy one but from their website it looks like it's -

* XC90 (AWD)
- Base: $48,900
- R-Design (goofy name): $52,900

* MDX (AWD)
- Base: $44,865
- Tech: $49,290
- Advance: $55,080

That's close enough to at least consider it unless one is looking for only the most base model of the MDX. Also, like lindros2 said, these are MSRP prices so the 'out the door' price on both a purchase and a lease adds some variable as does their 'willingness to deal' and margins and holdbacks and incentives, etc.

The above is just based on cost/features - I have no idea how the XC90 would compare when it comes to acceleration and handling.

MDX tops out at $57,080

XC90 Trim Levels

T6 AWD Momentum: $60,700
T6 AWD R-Design: $65,200
T6 AWD Inscription: $66,800
T8 PHEV AWD R-Design: $73,400
T8 PHEV AWD Inscription: $75,000

The pricing category for XC90 is above the MDX. The MDX may offer value, but I don't think it is really a direct competitor. And I don't think XC90 is worthy of this price range. If I have to buy something at this price range, I would look elsewhere.

Edit: XC90 listed above is Canadian market. Canadian MDX tops out at $65,000.

Well, why don't we wait for XC to come out and see if it is any better? See my post above regarding Tesla.
Agreed, it could be utter rubbish. However, since Volvo basically has everything riding on the XC90 being a success, one would hope they have their ducks in a row! Of course, one could say the same about Acura and the MDX... <shrug>

Ohhh...craps. I didn't realize I link to a Canada site.

The US doesn't have T8 PHEV model?
No worries! The US site doesn't list pricing for the T8 yet.

I was a little off on my 'in the cart price'. I just did it again, and with an R-Design (the sporty version) here's how it shakes out (including destination charge):

T6 R-Design: $54,455
Vision Package: $1600
Blind Spot Information System & Cross Traffic Alert, 360° Surround View Camera, Automatically Dimmed Inner & Exterior Mirrors, Retractable Rear-view Mirrors
Convenience Package: $1800
Park Assist Pilot/Front Park Assist, Adaptive Cruise Control with Pilot Assist, Homelink® Remote Garage Door Opener, Compass (Interior Rearview Mirror), Grocery Bag Holder, 12V Power Outlet, Cargo Area, Lane Keeping Aid

That's all I'd want. The air suspension ($1800) might be cool, but $2650 for the Bowers and Wilkenson stereo seems excessive.

So that brings my total to $57,855. Pretty much in line with a topped out MDX, both in equipment and price.

But of course, we'll have to wait and see if it has a plethora of teething problems. I'm sure not going to jump on the bandwagon and be a beta tester!

Chris

Oh... I realize that.... base price GLE will be what a XC90 will cost semi loaded, then add the MB options and pricing that out will empty my wallet! Don't forget 'leather' in an MB is MBtex or (Artico, vinyl seats). They wear well, but not my favorite... $2.5K extra just for proper leather!!! Add some basic options and the price gets scary!
Good point. At least MB is not as bad as Porsche as the price goes up exponentially very easily!

I was hopeful that new GLE and Q7 were going to be enticing but that's not the case. New GLE looks too similar to current class and while the front of the upcoming Q7 has grown on me, I can't get over the rear. Ugh.

XC90 was never on my radar, probably because it's looked the same for like 15 years :D. The new ones look great but I agree for $60k+ I'm getting something else.

I'm actually very intrigued by the Range Rover Sport. I know it goes against all common sense to consider Land Rover especially coming from an MDX, but I've always wanted one.

See your highlight statement...pretty silly statement IMO. Kinda like your love of BMWs! ;)

Here is a good article on Caddy CUE (again, since you mentioned it): Cadillac CUE: Why a Touch Screen is Not Always a Good Idea

Or this: Consumer Reports lambasts Cadillac's new CUE system

Do you want me to search for Ford's SYNC issues? That would probably crash Google servers!!!

lindros2, yes, we all know how much you hate 3G MDX...but lets not let silliness and hate blind you.:)
I tried to be objective until my ire of the touchscreen implementation, which is not "silly". If you're such a genius, why did Honda switch to Android for the new Pilot? Why is the new Civic different? NSX? The 2014 MDX *touch screen* is inferior to my TomTom GPS unit - in 2004.

The important thing - I OWN a 3G MDX. Unlike many others who DON'T but just pound and pound on those who do and have issues.

So hate or not, I'm living with it.

Finally, I don't "love" BMW's - the 2011 5-series was my first. I replaced it with a 2013 because I got a deal. Again, you're letting your own bias blind you. I've owned seven Acuras and eleven total Honda products.

But here's the thing...b/w Acura and Volvo, which company has a better track record?

Lets face it...NONE of the current MMI are good...all will be junk within 5 years (or less). Lexus is having its own issues with its MMI...first using joystick, then touchpad, and now back to joystick. Yes, even Lexus latest MMI crashes...apparently from you plugging your iphone into USB at same time as having BT on! No joke!

That is just the state of car tech...lagging way behind that of Apple and Android in user interface and reliability.
"MMI(R)" is a registered trademark of Audi, by the way. See here: Audi MMI®: Car Multimedia & Navigation System | Audi USA

Well, why don't we wait for XC to come out and see if it is any better? See my post above regarding Tesla.
Tesla can do over-the-air upgrades - no hardware replacement. No owner complaints over speed? Quad-core processor doing just fine? So much storage, development effort, and modern interfaces that they can even integrate Easter eggs?

Come on dude.

Well, for me at least, there is just something about saying, "I drive a Volvo" that doesn't give me goosebumps.....Again, it's just me, but I like to think a car is an extension of one's personality and I'm not a Volvo I guess. I conjure images of gramma's old ugly orange boxy sedan and her telling me how safe it is. Or like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSMCa-Etzmc

That being said, the pics in sgtglok's link are very impressive. A beautiful looking car for sure. But still a Volvo. Again, no attacks please, just my opinion and we all seem to have one on this forum...:D

Thanks yeah that's the one. So sure some models of XC90 could be considered a crossbuy with the MDX but this puts it in solid Range Rover territory.

Well, for me at least, there is just something about saying, "I drive a Volvo" that doesn't give me goosebumps.....Again, it's just me, but I like to think a car is an extension of one's personality and I'm not a Volvo I guess. I conjure images of gramma's old ugly orange boxy sedan and her telling me how safe it is.
Truth, all the shows I see about alaska on the "discovery channel" sort of give me a predisposition on how it is out there.

Truth, all the shows I see about alaska on the "discovery channel" sort of give me a predisposition on how it is out there.
Yeah, it's not....the majority of Alaskans are just as amazed at the ignorance and frankly embarrassed those shows are trying to represent all Alaskans as everyone else is. Freak shows. Similar to "Dog the Bounty Hunter" representing all Hawaiians.

Strange how you no longer tout Caddy's system or Ford Sync! :D
"Grass is always greener on the other side...."
Just to refresh your memory on how great people think the MDX infotainment is:

Big Screen Deal In-Car Technology - Design

I'm not saying I *LIKE* Cadillac CUE - quite the contrary. You completely misrepresented my point. I was using it as an example of touch-screen types.

And I agree with Ford moving SYNC from Microsoft to QNX. It's not intuitive/easy to use, as owners agree. Sync 3 isn't "pretty", but it's fast and functional. I hope night mode dims the screen - it's really bright in the in-person demos I've seen.

But the Acura MDX system has been a source of frustration from day one. This is why I bought a car that wasn't an RLX - go ahead and slam me on my "German love" again.

Finally, stop with this "you seem to know a lot about..." stuff. I actually do - I've spent more hours with auto manufacturers (and in the AT&T Drive Studio) then you have on this forum.

Why did I get a 2014 MDX? Acuras are cheap to lease and we needed a car.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.