Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
I feel XC90 is more like a direct competitor to Infiniti QX60?

It has a more comfortable internal with heavier body and slower performance, similar to QX60.

But I do like how Audi picks up latest technology, Audi has been demoing Android Auto for a while already... Acura needs to learn this.. even siri-eyes free is only just happening this year on 16 MDX and doesn't work with Android Google Now.. what the heck..

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have been on the fence about a 2016 MDX. Joining this forum has really changed my opinion! from positive to negative.... just the troubles than remain un-fixed (screen problems, rear suspension, fuel pump noise, etc) and every dealer branding problems as Normal! I now(last 2 months) have spent an enormous amount of time reviewing the XC90.... so much so, I will probably be ordering an Inscription in the next couple of days! I don't like buying a 1st year vehicle, but I need a larger SUV than my current GLK for traveling! The bonus is my dealer(promised me) will refund my down payment on the XC90, should I decide that I don't like it on arrival!
The MB ML350 is still in the running, but same old tired dash.... The BMW x5 rear seats don't fold flat:headshake (dog crate needs to be flat, lol!) and Audi is a year away!

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I haven't seen the new XC90 in person yet but from the pictures I'm not a fan at all of the exterior styling of it but maybe it's better in person. I haven't read any reviews regarding its performance yet so I don't know how it compares to the MDX from an acceleration and handling perspective but those are both important attributes to me - as is the styling. I also wonder how the engine will hold up reliability-wise since it's a 4 cylinder turbo'd and supercharged pulling a fair amount of weight.

If this new XC90 was available when I bought the 2014 MDX I would have checked it out but at the time the XC90 was the old (and tired) one that was outdated in all respects and not anywhere close to a contender for the MDX. It makes sense to cross-shop the new XC90 with the new MDX since they're aiming for the same market space.

I'm still happy with my 2014 MDX - which hasn't had any of the issues 'some' people have reported here (which can give readers a skewed perspective).

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm sure my opinion is somewhat biased as I'm an MDX owner, however I have no doubt in my mind that the Volvo forums will light up with many of their own issues when the new model comes out. Just like BMW, VW, Audi and Mercedes have. They all have their own issues. You gotta figure that with Acura selling over 53K MDX's in 2013 and over 65K MDX's in 2014 (and pushing 15K this year) that even though the vast majority are happy owners, there are going to be some disgruntled owners that got a car built on Friday afternoon before a three day weekend. I am very happy with mine and would do it again if I were doing it all over.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I was seriously looking at the xc90 but in the end the MDX won out. It cost thousands less than the base price of the xc90 and has a much better reliability track record than it as well. And certainly didn't want to be the first year guinea pig for a volvo product but I really liked the interior.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Having a 2015 MDX Advanced I don't know if I will be purchasing my 3rd one when its time to get rid of this one. I agree with the Fuel Pump noise being a reminder of an annoying problem you have to listen to in a $57,000 SUV. Just about every thing that has been reported on the 2014 MDX on her has showed up in mine with no fix for most of the items in an SUV that has 3000 miles on it. I don't know how Volvo would address the same problems but I would hope better than Acura. It will be interesting to see what people find in the new Volvo and see if our expectations are just higher than they should be or do all new cars just have poor quality control. I'll be looking around in a couple of years if nothing else to get rid of this chirping noise.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I have been on the fence about a 2016 MDX. Joining this forum has really changed my opinion! from positive to negative.... just the troubles than remain un-fixed (screen problems, rear suspension, fuel pump noise, etc) and every dealer branding problems as Normal! I now(last 2 months) have spent an enormous amount of time reviewing the XC90.... so much so, I will probably be ordering an Inscription in the next couple of days! I don't like buying a 1st year vehicle, but I need a larger SUV than my current GLK for traveling! The bonus is my dealer(promised me) will refund my down payment on the XC90, should I decide that I don't like it on arrival!
The MB ML350 is still in the running, but same old tired dash.... The BMW x5 rear seats don't fold flat:headshake (dog crate needs to be flat, lol!) and Audi is a year away!
ML will be replaced end of the year with an all new model called the GLE350 (Benz is renaming all of their SUV's except for the G class).

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry you feel this way about Acura. What about the Nissan Armada?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I haven't seen the new XC90 in person yet but from the pictures I'm not a fan at all of the exterior styling of it but maybe it's better in person. I haven't read any reviews regarding its performance yet so I don't know how it compares to the MDX from an acceleration and handling perspective but those are both important attributes to me - as is the styling. I also wonder how the engine will hold up reliability-wise since it's a 4 cylinder turbo'd and supercharged pulling a fair amount of weight.

If this new XC90 was available when I bought the 2014 MDX I would have checked it out but at the time the XC90 was the old (and tired) one that was outdated in all respects and not anywhere close to a contender for the MDX. It makes sense to cross-shop the new XC90 with the new MDX since they're aiming for the same market space.

I'm still happy with my 2014 MDX - which hasn't had any of the issues 'some' people have reported here (which can give readers a skewed perspective).
Volvo XC90 Reviews - Volvo XC90 Price, Photos, and Specs - Car and Driver

·
Registered
6 Posts
ML will be replaced end of the year with an all new model called the GLE350 (Benz is renaming all of their SUV's except for the G class).
Oh... I realize that.... base price GLE will be what a XC90 will cost semi loaded, then add the MB options and pricing that out will empty my wallet! Don't forget 'leather' in an MB is MBtex or (Artico, vinyl seats). They wear well, but not my favorite... $2.5K extra just for proper leather!!! Add some basic options and the price gets scary!

·
Registered
928 Posts
I also considered XC90 before getting into 4th MDX. I really like the new Volvo, but it has not hit the showrooms yet. Volvo's reliability is not in top 10, so getting a first year model was a risk I did not want to take. I truly hope it succeeds. Will revisit this in 3 years.

Meanwhile, I think MDX continues to be the best bang for the buck in 7-seater cross-over category. With '16 Q7 turned into a station wagon, XC90 may become a worthy competitor. Especially, when T8 comes to US (and costs under 60k after a year or two).

·
Registered
204 Posts
Note that the XC90 uses similar touch screen interface as the MDX...including the "dreaded" seat heaters!
Except theirs actually had some thought put into HOW it works. For example, the seat heaters are a simple "button", always pressing in the same place multiple times for the levels of heat. Not "press here, then press somewhere else in a pop up window" like the idiotic design of Honda's UI. :rolleyes:

Chris

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=air9PUCjUjM

·
Registered
82 Posts
Volvo chinese owned

Don't forget, the Volvo automobile division is now Chinese owned!!! Volvo tractors are still Swedish owned, but this alone is a concern for me personally. Despite the autos still being manufactured in Sweden, Chinese corporate to me is pretty scary. I've throughly enjoyed the '14 X and think it is a great value as compared to like models. Do like the X5, but way too small for cargo I transport (drum sets), and the forthcoming Q7 design is a shame, looking like a Passat wagon!!

·
Registered
661 Posts
Note that the XC90 uses similar touch screen interface as the MDX...including the "dreaded" seat heaters!
It is NOT a similar touch screen. Not in any way, shape, or form.

It's like saying that the Tesla uses a "similar touch screen" to the Honda Civic.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Don't forget, the Volvo automobile division is now Chinese owned!!! Volvo tractors are still Swedish owned, but this alone is a concern for me personally. Despite the autos still being manufactured in Sweden, Chinese corporate to me is pretty scary. I've throughly enjoyed the '14 X and think it is a great value as compared to like models. Do like the X5, but way too small for cargo I transport (drum sets), and the forthcoming Q7 design is a shame, looking like a Passat wagon!!
Have you looked at who makes the various parts of any of your cars?

While the MDX is US-built, US-designed (I believe), and many parts (~65%) are US-sourced, that doesn't mean that the navigation system is built here.

The Volvo cars are still produced in Europe, although the S60 long-wheelbase will be exported to the USA from China (I believe).

But didn't we all have this dialog back in the 1970s and 1980s with Japan?

And now Japan is outsourcing production to Malaysia, Thailand, China, etc.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I just saw recent pictures of the xc90 luxury or whatever they're called.

Nice like range rover nice, I just don't know how $$$ it is.

·
Registered
729 Posts
XC90 is not a direct competitor to Acura MDX since the bare bone model starts at $50K while MDX's top model is at $57K.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Or is it like BMW and Acura having a similar reliability record? Not in any way, shape, or form. :D
Thank you for your sarcasm and arrogance. Wouldn't be a thread without it.

Explain please about Volvo touchscreen and how it is different than MDX.
Okay, I'll bite. Why don't you do research on capacitive vs. resistive vs. optical touch screens?

If you want to dig deeper, you can look up "projected capacitive", which is often used in commercial applications (i.e. point of sale systems) as the cheaper of two options.

The MDX uses the cheaper resistive with force feedback. That's why it "bends" when you touch it.

The XC90 and Tesla Model S (and Cadillac CUE, Chevy MyTouch, and Ford SYNC) use a capacitive screen, like just about every other midrange or high-end device these days (smartphones, tablets, smart watches, etc.).

I'm not saying that capacitive is always best - resistive has benefits when your finger "wobbles" in space as it does when you're driving.

But based on the slow response, low resolution, and hazy images, Acura's implementation of the touchscreen is abominable. And others are better.

Sources:
New iPad-Like Touchscreen On The 2015 Volvo XC90 Reinvents How We'll Interact With Our Cars | Popular Science

Tesla Model S teardown | ZDNet

·
Registered
661 Posts
XC90 is not a direct competitor to Acura MDX since the bare bone model starts at $50K while MDX's top model is at $57K.
It's absolutely a competitor. Price is only part of the equation - and can vary wildly when you factor in lease vs. purchase.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts