Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everybody,

I am a new and MDX owner. This is my first Honda product and I am pleased with it, with one exception.

If I am driving along, say, I80, and know that North Platte, Nebraska is someplace ahead, and want to know roughly how long it will take to get there, I should be able to set it as a destination and get the basic information. One way I could do it is with the cross hairs on the NAV screen, but that might not be too safe. I should be able to do it with voice commands. But the system seems to want a full address. I don't know any full addresses in North Platte. Is there a way I can just give it the city name and have it set a destination as the city center? This seems like such a simple, basic thing to want to do, but I have yet to find a way.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I have a 2014 MDX which doesn't have the improvements that Acura made for 2015 and onwards so the behavior may be different but what you state is one of the annoyances with the system I've experienced as well.

I've done a couple of coast to coast trips with the MDX and on a number of occasions wanted the Nav to get me headed towards a town rather than a particular address in the town. Since it doesn't seem to function that way I just fake it out by stating to it a fake address. Almost all towns/cities have a 'Main Street' so I try that and then for the number on that street I state whatever numbers are popped up as possibilities. This works for most, but not all, towns/cities. Other fairly generic street names most towns have are 'First', 'Central', 'Oak', and you can probably think of some others.

It's clear that 'practical' user interface design wasn't done very well on this Nav system (and many other nav systems).

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I have resorted to these sorts of tricks. I normally tell it to take me to the airport, sigh. So ridiculous that the people who design these things seem to have no sense of how actual people will use them.

What do you do if you want to locate a point of interest in the vicinity of, say, North Platte, and you don't know the name of it? It is easy enough if you are looking for a restaurant that you can actually name, such as McDonald's. But how about if you are just looking for a list of restaurants in North Platte? In other words, if we want the restaurants near the present location we can say "find restaurants near here", and get results. But we cannot say, "find restaurants near North Platte, Nebraska". Or, we cannot set a destination of the North Platte airport, our Main Street, and say, "find restaurants near destination". Right?. I mean, these are common, every day sorts of things that over the road travelers need.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yeah the system is pretty poor. I've resorted to just using my phone. I know people who have just put a garmin over the top screen, which is pretty sad for a $50,000 car to have such a crappy system.
I was on the phone the other day with Acura relations and needed to enter an address while on the highway. No where to pull over and was on hold with them. Result? System unusable. But they will charge you $150+ a year for an app that can send the address to the car...

·
Registered
661 Posts
I thought the manual (screen/jog dial) input allows for city center; didn't realize that voice requires full address. I'll have to double-check...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts