Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed Vizualogic Heardrest monitors? If so, are you satisfied with the viewing quality? Also, did you have any trouble routing the wire through the bottom of the seat?

Silver2003

·
Registered
291 Posts
Quality of picture is excellent , (comparible to my Alpine in dash head unit screen) and fit and finish in headrests is so good it looks factory.

Routing wire is a snap. Pop off the back of the seat by pulling bottom two clips first ,then top un hooks with no clips. I routed mine through to come out at bottom left corner then under carpet . I put loom tubing around entire wire within seat and under carpet, and used plastic wire tires to keep everything snug. Keep as far away from heating elements in driver's seat as possible. You'll not be disappointed.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Silver 2003 and Curtsan

Even I am interested in Vizualogic headrest monitor. I looked at Autobarn.com for 1299 for 7" screens and DVD player and headphones

Where have you guys bought your systems from and for how much?

·
Registered
158 Posts
A quick question for those of you with the vizualogic headrest screens. Do the headrest or screen tilt downward so that a 3 y.o in a booster seat can see the screens?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Also, the screens seem to have a very wide viewing angle for top and bottom and let and right....

I purchased through autobarn.com for about $850 (I think)
there was a price increase from the manufacturer as they were $799 when I first looked at them, but by the time I ordered they were more. I had my own DVD changer already and wireless headphones already, so I just went with two screens. I don't think you would be dissappointed though. My local install shop said that the price was a steal!, and to go for it...

·
Registered
549 Posts
Crutchfield carries them for $599 each. They have the Saddle (L524) and Ebony (L523) in stock. The Quartz (L538) is not yet available through them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm considering adding the headrest screens to the stock RES system in my new X. Can anyone shed some light on how/where the additional monitors would plug into the system? I've done the 'search' and can't find any info on the electronics layout of the stock system.

So far my only complaint w/ the X is the location of the parking brake! Other wise it's great!

JD

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the Vizualogic system installed in my 2002 Suburban 6 months ago, and very happy with the picture quality. Here's some features that I really like

*2 video inputs
I have both DVD and VCR, so each screen can show different program

*on screen display

One tip, the picture quality is very good if you are far enough away. The leg room in the Suburban is not as good as my Wife's MDX. If I have front seat all the way back, your face is right at the screen, and the quality is not as good. It is best to leave as much room as possible.

·
Registered
291 Posts
The screesn are very simple to hook up. As mentioned, there are two video inputs amd one output for piggybacking purposes.

A small cable is fed through the seat, and connected to a very small (deck of cards sized) control box, where all actual cable connections are made. Easily mounted under the seat. Just run a video RCA cable from source to this box , along with a power feed and ground, and you are set. Note, there is no sound for these monitors, so you need to patch into a set of headphones or use the factory sound system...

If doing again, I might be tempted to go with the smaller 5.6" screens....The 7" inch is great, but you are quite close to the screen as mentioned above.

I also bought some adhesive screen protectors. It looks a bit ugly when screens are off, but can't tell when turned on, but the added protection is great. I also wired in a power switch and mounted it to the B pillar, so you don't have to worry about using the remote control to turn on and off, just flip the toggle switch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Power to headrests

Where did you get the power cable to hook up the headrest monitors? I read something about an "add a circuit" but have not found any details.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Because I am using a direct from battery main power lead for my aftermarket stereo system, it leaves the accessory wire (originally used to fead the factory radio) to power all my "keyed" accessory needs. Since the monitors take very little power, this small current draw on that circuit is not a concern. I bit in to that wire that was in the harness behind the factory radio when removed. It only has power when key is on. I could have just run this to the screen's little black box, but I chose to run it to a switch about halfway up the B pillar. This way, rather than using the remote control to turn power on and off to the screens, This rocker switch is used as there is always power available whenever the key is on accessory. Works well for kids, since they don't have to be worried about remote controls, just flick the switch when they want it on.

BTW-the wire just ran through the underside of the dash, under the rug along the sill plate area and up the B-Pillar, then the "other side of the switch wire ran back down the B-pillar and under the carpet to the little black box for the monitors.

Good luck...

·
Registered
158 Posts
For those with the vizualogic screens. how stiff is the 3 position ratcheting system, what I am trying to get at is do you feel protected from whiplash having that headrest if you were to get into an accident? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I don't think the rigidity is an issue, they seem quite stiff and supportive when pressure is applied...the ratchet only works one way, so it locks as you progress through the different positions...
I think you'd be ok...IMHO

1 - 16 of 16 Posts