Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While searching for a way to mount a navi monitor in the H2 I just ordered, I came across this and thought someone might be interested. Vizualogic makes replacement headrests for the MDX. They completely replace the factory headrest with theirs and have one specifically for 2002 and later MDXs although I wasn't aware that headrest design changed from 2001 to 2002.

http://store.yahoo.com/rodi/vizualogic1.html

Kim

·
Registered
39 Posts
Vizualogic

I would be very interested in seeing a picture of these headrest monitors installed in a MDX. Has anyone purchased and installed these monitors? I have been trying to figure out how to put a 7" wide screen in the factory headrest and it just seemed impossible.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Interesting, good idead, hopefully the price will come down, they want 729.00

·
Registered
39 Posts
Price not so high

The price on autobarn.com is $729 for a headrest/DVD combo. Individual headrest units without the DVD are $399 each. Considering the research I have done, this seems like a reasonable price. Other monitors of this size are at least $300 and most places charge between $100 and $250 to install. See the individual pricing at the following link:

http://store.yahoo.com/rodi/viz.html

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
That's not bad, hey I also like the DVD glove to protect the player unit. Now who is the first Guinea....User here who will order??

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
Interesting...

I wonder if they have a DVD/TV tuner combined unit? If so, this could be too good to pass up.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
449 Posts
where would the sound come from? It seem like you have to also convert the stereo system to accept RCA inputs? How would you go about doing something like that? I am interested in the system. Anybody got this and installed it? Pics?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Sure do wish I had the extra cash laying around right now. I think I'd consider buying it just for the three position headrest tilt feature!

Having just signed all the papers to purchase a new Goldwing for my DH though, don't think I can do that just yet. Bummer, wish I'd known about this before we went to the cycle shop!

Will be interesting to hear the review on this once someone bites the bullet, though.

Donna

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
kishino said:
where would the sound come from? It seem like you have to also convert the stereo system to accept RCA inputs? How would you go about doing something like that? I am interested in the system. Anybody got this and installed it? Pics?
Whew, there are pics too numerous to state... There is a lot of info on this.. Here are just a couple of links...

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5662

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6600

There's more... just search and browse...:D

·
Registered
449 Posts
Thanks MDXXX. Guess I will still have to go the FM modulator way for the sound. Thought it was some other way.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Can anybody verify that there is a difference between 2001 headrest and 2002 headrest? Perhaps Tim... If so, what is the difference?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Vizualogic Resolution

First Post:

This forum is unbelievable. Right about now, I'm the happiest guy in the world... that is of course until I receive my credit card statement.

Does anyone know how good the resolution is on the Vizualogic monitor? Also, I would think their headrest would have to be larger to fit a 7" screen. Maybe I'll just buy the sony 6" monitor from Crutchfield and send my headrests off to Ron. I saw various pictures of his work and that guy is unbelievable. It's my b-day tomorrow, maybe he'll take it ez on my funds. :)

-Al

·
Registered
39 Posts
Resolution

The guy at autobarn.com represented that the resolution was 1440 x 234 for the 7in and 960x 234 for the 5.6in. I think the headrest will be a little bit bigger, but not by much. From my recent trips to a number of electronic stores around town the audiovox 5.6 fits well inside the bottow portion of the current headrest but is squeezed in at the top. A standard 5.6in screen is 4.48in wide in the screen plus the extra surround. The audivox has about another inch on surround material. A 7in wide screen is 6in wide in the screen plus the extra surround. From the pictures of the Vizualogic, it appears that there is very little surround material. Thus, I don't think the new headrest would be much wider at all.

As for me, I am going to purchase two of the Vizualogic headrest monitors within the next couple of weeks. Also, the local dealer that handles the product (dealer information obtained directly from vizualogic) stated that the $399 is a hell of a deal and he could only go to $450.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I found a shop right around my way. They closed for today but I will swing by tomorrow and look at their demo version. I'll post my opinions when I get back to my PC.

-Al

·
Registered
4 Posts
Great Quality

Finally got a chance to go check out the monitors....quality is ridiculous. I saw it next to a kenwood monitor and it was just as good. There was an alpine that didn't even come close (maybe it was an old model or something).

Looks like I'll be the guinea pig. I ordered some last night from Auto Barn for 400 each. Not a bad deal! I'll let you know how it works out.

These monitors are designed so that the cable runs out of the headrest post, through the seat, and into the control box. Does anyone know if heated seats could melt the cable? That's what the guy at the shop said. He also mentioned that power seats can clip the cable. Vizualogic says it's an easy install but I don't know who to believe. Anyone have any opinions?

Thanks,
Al

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Dog gone it anyway ... this sounds real good, too darn good ... can't wait for some post-install posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Vizualogic Monitors

I also ordered a pair from autobarn.com after I spoke with my local guy. He said that he would recommend the product even though he could not match the $400 price. I will also post my review after I get them installed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Installation

dbuono,

Are you going to your local guy for installation or are you going to try it yourself?

-Al

·
Registered
39 Posts
Installation

I have not decided yet, but I will likely go to one of the local electronic stores (Circuit City or Ultimate Electronics) and just agree to pay them another $100 for install because I have to get the DVD player installed anyway. If they are unwilling to do the work, I know of a small outfit that does a lot of work for local body shops and I would likely go there.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts