Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone do the VA state inspection at the dealership? I just had mine done last month at Pohanka Acura (My dealership, so it is FREE). But I don't think they check everything, even the checklist is completed. In my past experience, they should jack up the car, remove the tires, and inspect the brakes and hosts under the car. But this time, I saw my X is on the ground all the time while it is in the shop. (at least start from the time I knew it is in the shop)

This means, the tires never been remove and they didn't look under the car. I believe nothing should be wrong my X due to it is only a year old and around 17K miles when it went into inspection. It just feel weird that they took it in and change the sticker and took it to car wash then gave it back to me. :confused:

·
Registered
327 Posts
VA Inspection

JTM,
I had the same experience some years ago when my Honda Accord was new. There may be some guideline that if the car is relatively new or low mileage then everything doesn't have to be checked. This is just a guess on my part. I'll have my X at Pohanka for inspection in June and will keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
R Stevens,

I was guessing you will be responding this thread soon or later, since you purchased your X at Pohanka as well.

It would be interesting to know if there is a guideline states a new car with low milage on doesn't need to be check, why the car owner needs to pay $15 for an inspection sticker (unless it is free from dealer). :confused:

·
Registered
452 Posts
I did mine in a gas station (safety only) and I could see the whole process thru a window glass. They did not lift it up the vehicle. My X have only 17K and the guy doing the inspection is more curious about the car that he even called his buddy -- they raised up the hood and just looked at it.
I don't know if there is some kind of guidelines (re.; mileage) before they really make a thorough inspection.

·
Registered
335 Posts
It has been a few years since I lived out VA way, but I seem to remember that when they started doing the brakes check (take off the tire and inspect it, etc.), that it was only done every other year (based on plate number, maybe?). Something like that...maybe the off year for you all.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Perhaps you Virginians can answer a question. I have been told that it against VA state law to have a "screen" (laptop computer, TV or other) viewable by the driver up and running. Is this true and if so how is a factory NAV system considered by the troopers, etc.? To push the point further, how about a non-NAV model with just trip info on the screen in the dash? Just curious since I travel through VA regularly with no passengers. In my work, I sometimes have need to use a laptop with GPS (unfortunately, my employer does not provide an MDX!).

·
Registered
277 Posts
Just a theory....
The visibility of the breaks allows for easy inspection of pad depth without having to remove the wheel.
I noticed this while waxing my wheels.....

·
Registered
327 Posts
Illegal in all 50 states?

sar10 said:
Perhaps you Virginians can answer a question. I have been told that it against VA state law to have a "screen" (laptop computer, TV or other) viewable by the driver up and running. Is this true and if so how is a factory NAV system considered by the troopers, etc.? To push the point further, how about a non-NAV model with just trip info on the screen in the dash? Just curious since I travel through VA regularly with no passengers. In my work, I sometimes have need to use a laptop with GPS (unfortunately, my employer does not provide an MDX!).
sar10,

This is from a FAQ on the Alpine website:

>>>>How can I bypass the video inetrlock on my video monitor?
08/22/02-It is illegal in all 50 states and 11 Canadian provinces to have real time video (i.e. TV broadcast, VHS, DVD video) in view of the driver. We cannot release any information about how to bypass the interlock on these. <<<<<<

I am not a lawyer, but my guess is that using the nav screen for navigation is not illegal, but using the nav screen to watch TV, VHS or DVD's is illegal while driving in all fifty states. Any other opinions?

·
Registered
173 Posts
I had mine inspected at Pohanka for free also. I guess if there are any problems with the vehicle it would be detected during the maintenance. I think any vehicle with under 20K of miles the tires shouldn't be removed. If the brakes/tires were bad under 20k on a 1 year vehicle, they would have to fix them under warranty.

For the profit they made (buying at MSRP) they should do it for free.:mad: :mad: :mad:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts