Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

This might be a dumb question but what does it mean when you have a VIN number? Does it mean that the MDX have been built? Thanks in advance.

Kiet

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Every automobile manufactured for sale in North America must have a unique VIN or Vehicle Identification Number. This is essential in identifying vehicles that have been altered, stolen, illeagly imported, the list goes on...
When your Acura dealer receives an allocation list from Acura as to what vehicles he will get for a given month, the description includes some parts of the VIN..enough to identify the basic model (premium or touring, etc.) and some options like Navi.
Other identifiers are included to specify color. There are also prodcution and shipping dates.
Once the vehicle has completed assembly is assigned a 'complete' identification number as required by federal statute.

·
Registered
653 Posts
So when a dealer gives you a VIN number. The dealer is basically allocating that particular vehicle (out of their allocation) for your order. Sounds like the dealer gave you a "VIN" number with your order :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the quick reponse.

I do understand the purpose of a VIN #. But in this case, I wanted to know what it means exactly when the Acura dealership have given me that number for my order. When I go to Carfax.com and put in the VIN number, its shows the correct information for my car. Also, on AcuraOwner.com, it shows me teh same information... with color, touring model w/ navigation.

Does this necessarily mean that this car has been built already? How long do you normally have to wait when you receive a VIN number from the dealer. My salesman is telling me 1st week of April is the delivery date. Thanks again.

Kiet

·
Registered
653 Posts
Congrats on your order (If I am correct on that point) :)

Sounds like the X has been built and the time sounds about right. When I ordered, they said that it would take about 10 days for them to deliver my X to Massachusetts. So not sure how long it would take to deliver to your location. They were accurate on mydelivery date, so if they gave you the first week of April, then I guess you get to start the month off in a brand new X :2:

If you haven't noticed already, this is a great (and addictive) site :D

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hi Koolkat1973:

___Look at it like this. In ~ 10 days, you will become an X owner! Welcome to the forum and let’s hope you enjoy your X as much as I do ours and I don’t even get to drive it ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email protected]

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Xcel... is that how it generally work. When you receive the full VIN number from the Acura dealership, you should be able to take delivery of your car within two weeks or so? Thanks.

Kiet

·
Registered
21 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts