Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

VIN# lookup - with a twist

3K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  ovrilenasanja 
#1 ·
Is it possible to look up, based on a VIN#, if -

1. The transmission in the car was ever replaced ? (acura database?)

2. The car had ever been in an accident ? (insurance database?)

This is for my car that I bought used and would just like to dig a little deeper in the history.
PM or email me for the VIN# if you can be of any help.

#2 ·
Doesn't Carfax use the Vin# to print out a vehicle's history? Don't know for sure.

#3 ·
Not having access to these databases, I can't say for sure. But having bought several used cars, the engine/major changes can be looked up via the VIN by a dealer if it was "officially" done by a certified mechanic. Same thing with accident history, if the repair was registered, then it can be looked up via the car's VIN.

#4 ·
You can see if you have a replacement transmission or not by looking down or from underneath the vehicle for a green VIN plate riveted to the front of the case, below where the starter is. If the plate is there, and the nmber matches, then of course it's original. Remanufactured units won't get the VIN plate transfered over.

#6 ·
I can run a VIN status report and warranty repair history. That will only tell if the trans. (or any part) was replaced under warranty, when it was done and by what dealer. It will also tell if the warranty has ever been canceled for any reason, usually it's due to a wreck that resulted in the vehicle being totaled.

#7 ·
The VIN status lookup won't say anything they'd already know by looking on their registration to see if it's a salvage title or not. But it will say what recall/update campaigns apply and have been done.

#8 ·
I found the green vin plate on the transmission and the vin# does match. So that takes care of one thing.

About the service history, I did track down the original dealer where it was bought and serviced, but the dealer said "all I cam tell you is that the 30k service was the last service done on the vehicle". Maybe I should try again. It wont help or hurt much but would be nice to have the service history.

Where does Carfax get the accident data from ? What if the accident was not 'reported' but the car was in a body shop ? Is there anyway to look it up ? In case you're wondering why I want this info- its because the driver side door doesn't sit right and the finish when looked at an angle seems to be touched up.

#10 · (Edited)
Yes, it is possible to look up information about a car based on its VIN number. However, the specific information that you're asking for may not be readily available from a single source. It's important to keep in mind that not all accidents or repairs may be reported, so it's possible that there may be some gaps in the vehicle's history and do check https://vincheckfree.com/license-plate-lookup site there. Additionally, even if the car has been in an accident or had its transmission replaced, this may not necessarily be a cause for concern if the repairs were properly done and the car is in good condition.