Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got 2002 MDX with NAV two weeks back. We would like to add video system. We also bought a Sony Playstation 2 yesterday and would love to use it in MDX.

I saw lot of discussion on video on this forum, but looking for simple answers from seniors!.

1. Can I use playstation2 as the DVD player instead of buying a separate unit?.
2. What size screen should I get it?. I saw JPP-1040RM 10.4-Inch Roof-Mount Monitor with Remote and Resolution of VGA 640 x 480 on http://www.five-stars.com/jpp1040rm.html. Is it a good one?.
3. What are all the accessories I need basically to play DVDs and use playstation2?.
4. Good installers in Bay area (close to San Francisco).
5. How much do I need to spend for a decent system?.

I know I am asking for lot of info and probably most of it is available on these forums. I tried to go thru the forums but overwhelmed with the different options.

Thanks,
SK

·
Registered
306 Posts
I will give you my opinion on your questions. These are by no means the only way to go or the best way to go.

1) Yes, you can use the PS2 as your DVD player. That is what I use and it works awesome. Play games or watch a movie.

2) Screen size is totally up to you. I have 5.8" in the dash and I love it. 10.4 would be awesome as long as it does not distract the driver. Also, find someone who has seen or see it yourself so that you know if the picture is up to par.

3) There are several posts on here from people who kept their factory system and hook up the PS2. You will need things like, fm modulator, so you can hear the sound thru your factory system, power invertor, to power the PS2, that's about all the equipment other than cables and such.

4) Can not help on this one.

5) PS2 runs about $200 new. Screens anywhere from $100 to $1,000, just depends on how nice and big you want to go. The install can vary as well. Find a good installer and they can let you know specifics on costs.

Again, just my advice. Hope is sheds a little light for you.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Don't forget the cost of a power inverter. Anywhere from $30-$50.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. I already got PS2 (Costco is selling it for $280 and you get extra 8MB memory, two games and second controller).

I don't want in dash screen since I can get distracted easily!.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
infosys,

I'd go with a 7 inch widescreen or 9 inch widescreen from ICON-TV. The resoution is better and in 5 years most TVs/systems will be widescreen. Mine is also from five-stars and the resolution is 1440 x 234, I think it's much better than 640 x 480.

PS2 will work well as a DVD player. You can also check out the cordless controllers Logitech just came out with. It creates less clutter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts