Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As all of you are aware, I've been vocal about my complaints in regards to my wife's brand new 2016 MDX SH-AWD Advance and particularly its extremely noisy suspension. I don't drive the car very often (because it drives me nuts), but this weekend, I drove 2-3 miles to get my haircut and it was so frustrating. Thus, on my return trip home, I filmed my trip. These are the noises heard just driving home on a 2-3 mile trip. These roads aren't even ideal for reproducing the noises.

Please turn your volume up, does anyone else hear these thunks, pops and bushing noises?

As stated, the rear suspension noise is like a hollow popping noise almost like you have loose wood sheets banging against each other. So annoying...

Most of the shots in the neighborhood are hitting manhole covers. There are a couple that are fairly large dips and would make normal suspension noise in most cars, but on the MDX it is much louder and higher frequency (pop rather than thud). Majority of the manhole covers though are pretty flush with the ground and in most cars aren't very detectable. Also, I messed up filming on portion so I refilmed it the next day which is why one section is sunnier than the other. Those sunny parts are just normal roads with normal bumps (not potholes or manhole covers).

Video here:
2016 Acura MDX SH-AWD Suspension Noises - YouTube

·
Registered
154 Posts
That would drive me crazy. I'd think it should be pretty simple for the dealer to figure out what is causing it after a short test drive with you.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would drive me crazy. I'd think it should be pretty simple for the dealer to figure out what is causing it after a short test drive with you.
They claim it's normal!!!! At least the booming/hollow noise.

The speed bump squeak I haven't brought up with them as it changes depending on the weather. In fact, I think it might be the driver seat squeaking this time around, as I found this little gem the other day as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rru47uLh8As

I weight 170 LBS, so definitely not me.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
My 2014 doesn't have any of those sounds.

Can you find a short route right by the dealership where you can reproduce those noises? If so, take a tech on a ride where you can reproduce the noises. I suppose they could always say 'it's normal' but if it's fairly egregious I don't know how they can say that. Also - did you localize it to the right or left side?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My 2014 doesn't have any of those sounds.

Can you find a short route right by the dealership where you can reproduce those noises? If so, take a tech on a ride where you can reproduce the noises. I suppose they could always say 'it's normal' but if it's fairly egregious I don't know how they can say that. Also - did you localize it to the right or left side?
I live right near the dealer, so those roads are within a mile or so of the dealer, but they just seem to dismiss it as normal. I could try again, but I'm already Public Enemy #1 over at that dealer for all the hell I raised with ACR about my shoddy assembly, etc.

As far as localizing it, I thought it was exclusive to the right rear which gave me hope that there was a component issue on that side and not a design issue, but after this past weekend's video and thorough testing, it seems to be both sides, although it seems the right rear may be a bit louder, but that could be just the way it echoes and that there's more open air for it to travel and hit my right ear than the left ear, who knows... If I hit a decent bump at an angle, I'll hear the noise twice, once as the first rear tire hits it and then immediately after when the other does...

·
Registered
60 Posts
My 2014 sounds just like this and always has. I have had the right-rear shock assembly replaced twice, even though the dealer said that there was no issue. Unfortunately, the loaners that I have driven have also sounded like this. So, I gave up after a year of grumbling, and now have 28,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My 2014 sounds just like this and always has. I have had the right-rear shock assembly replaced twice, even though the dealer said that there was no issue. Unfortunately, the loaners that I have driven have also sounded like this. So, I gave up after a year of grumbling, and now have 28,000 miles on it.
As much as it's nice to know nothing is abnormal with my car, it is extremely frustrating. I guess I just have to live with it or sell the car which isn't really cost-effective at the moment. So disappointing, I hope my complaining and perhaps this video which I'll share many times maybe encourages Acura to investigate a fix.

Reactions: Sammzway

·
Registered
49 Posts
I early don't hear "squeaking" from the video, but I did hear a lot of "hollow" sound that reminds me of kicking an old one-gallon metal gas can. Sort of a "Wha-Woomp!"

Have you eliminated possible sources (e.g. loose spare tire? exhaust hangers properly supporting the muffler?) That sounds - in some ways like a non-violent "bottoming out" type of sound sure doesn't sound like bushings, sway-bars, etc. It seems too low pitch for a strut-tower issue (e.g. strut bearing).... and it doesn't even sound like a bad strut. Unless you start developing scalloping on your tires... something else is the problem...

just my two cents.

·
Registered
837 Posts
As all of you are aware, I've been vocal about my complaints in regards to my wife's brand new 2016 MDX SH-AWD Advance and particularly its extremely noisy suspension. I don't drive the car very often (because it drives me nuts), but this weekend, I drove 2-3 miles to get my haircut and it was so frustrating. Thus, on my return trip home, I filmed my trip. These are the noises heard just driving home on a 2-3 mile trip. These roads aren't even ideal for reproducing the noises.

Please turn your volume up, does anyone else hear these thunks, pops and bushing noises?

As stated, the rear suspension noise is like a hollow popping noise almost like you have loose wood sheets banging against each other. So annoying...

Most of the shots in the neighborhood are hitting manhole covers. There are a couple that are fairly large dips and would make normal suspension noise in most cars, but on the MDX it is much louder and higher frequency (pop rather than thud). Majority of the manhole covers though are pretty flush with the ground and in most cars aren't very detectable. Also, I messed up filming on portion so I refilmed it the next day which is why one section is sunnier than the other. Those sunny parts are just normal roads with normal bumps (not potholes or manhole covers).

Video here:
2016 Acura MDX SH-AWD Suspension Noises - YouTube
Is your spare tire tight? Is your cargo area and cargo bin empty?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Man, that's pretty bad. I'd be all over their rear ends if this was my car, well, I'd probably take it to an indy shop, pay some bucks and get it fixed. I don't have patience nor time to fiddle with the idiots at the dealership. Nice house.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I early don't hear "squeaking" from the video, but I did hear a lot of "hollow" sound that reminds me of kicking an old one-gallon metal gas can. Sort of a "Wha-Woomp!"

Have you eliminated possible sources (e.g. loose spare tire? exhaust hangers properly supporting the muffler?) That sounds - in some ways like a non-violent "bottoming out" type of sound sure doesn't sound like bushings, sway-bars, etc. It seems too low pitch for a strut-tower issue (e.g. strut bearing).... and it doesn't even sound like a bad strut. Unless you start developing scalloping on your tires... something else is the problem...

just my two cents.
The squeaking is ONLY in the first 5 seconds of the clip when going over speed bumps, watch it again and listen to the sound as the car comes off the speed bump. The hollow sound is like kicking a metal gas can, good comparison.

It's only that squeak part that sounds like bushings, not the hollow part.

Funny you mention the muffler, as right after I got the car and noticed the sound, I went for a peak to look for anything obviously wrong with the rear end, and I discovered the muffler wasn't hung. This was dealt with by my dealer with about 5 other build quality related issues including but not limited to:

- Muffler not hung on rear hanger
- Reflectors in rear bumper not screwed in
- Roof liner not clipped in
- Roof liner torn near rubber trim on door
- Plastic cladding on upper tailgate (inside) warped and not flush with roof.

Pictures of that and other things here:
http://www.mdxers.org/forums/94-third-generation-mdx-2014-present/111026-assembly-concerns-my-letter-acura.html

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is your spare tire tight? Is your cargo area and cargo bin empty?
Yes to the empty cargo area. I'll check the spare later today, thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My wife and I swapped cars today as I have to take our baby for his doctor well visit. I went ahead and dropped the spare and will drive around without the spare today to see if that's a noise source. On that subject, I was impressed by how easy and well designed the spare tire drop system works. Honestly, I had no idea how to drop this spare and initially started from underneath the car, then googled and discovered it's dropped with minimal effort from inside the trunk. At least now I won't have to fart around figuring that out when on the side of the road. Great design though.

I did shake the spare tire while in place and I'm doubtful it's the source as it felt pretty snug. If I really pulled on one side I could get it to make a little noise, but I have a hard time imaging a bump in the road getting the articulation I was. If I pulled and pushed on both sides of the tire which is more appropriate for a shock/bump, there was no play or sound.

Will keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Spare tire removal did nothing :(

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Rear seats tight on tracks?
Will check, but I doubt that is the issue as I once was in the backseat while my wife drive and it was apparent the noise was rear of me.

We drive almost exclusively with second row as far back as possible and the third row down, not that that's related either, but just an FYI.

Thanks for the advice. At this point, I'm willing to try anything so I will look at the second row bench.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The squeaking is ONLY in the first 5 seconds of the clip when going over speed bumps, watch it again and listen to the sound as the car comes off the speed bump. The hollow sound is like kicking a metal gas can, good comparison.

It's only that squeak part that sounds like bushings, not the hollow part.

Funny you mention the muffler, as right after I got the car and noticed the sound, I went for a peak to look for anything obviously wrong with the rear end, and I discovered the muffler wasn't hung. This was dealt with by my dealer with about 5 other build quality related issues including but not limited to:

- Muffler not hung on rear hanger
- Reflectors in rear bumper not screwed in
- Roof liner not clipped in
- Roof liner torn near rubber trim on door
- Plastic cladding on upper tailgate (inside) warped and not flush with roof.

Pictures of that and other things here:
http://www.mdxers.org/forums/94-third-generation-mdx-2014-present/111026-assembly-concerns-my-letter-acura.html
Ok, I heard the sound. Sort of a low-pitch squeak. With a "ba-hau-hua" rhythm. I really doubt this is any sort of sway bar, bushing, etc. And if it was a clunk or a knock, I'd be betting on a strut bearing or related part.

To me, that sounds like a normal (lower quality) strut (not necessarily a "bad" strut just a bad strut design). You won't low it is a bad strut unless you don't hold alignment or unless your tire wear is horrible. It probably IS the natural sound of the strut operating properly (well, operating in conjunction with the spring). Just sounds like what I used to hear from Monroe struts on an old Buick with lots of miles going over a speed bump. I would be curious to see if you would have the same sound if the struts were replaced with a more beefed up strut - maybe something from Bilstein (and stiffer springs). The sponginess of the noise would be much more crisp - but as it looks like you were going over speed bumps... you are going to get some noise...

(it looks like) and I assume you were going over the speed bump evenly (both wheels traveling over the bump at the same time?) Have you tried straddling the bump (e.g. drivers wheel on the flat, and only the passenger wheel going over the speed bump - and vice versa?)

Wondering if that might change the sounds... or isolate it on one side or other the other....

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, I heard the sound. Sort of a low-pitch squeak. With a "ba-hau-hua" rhythm. I really doubt this is any sort of sway bar, bushing, etc. And if it was a clunk or a knock, I'd be betting on a strut bearing or related part.

To me, that sounds like a normal (lower quality) strut (not necessarily a "bad" strut just a bad strut design). You won't low it is a bad strut unless you don't hold alignment or unless your tire wear is horrible. It probably IS the natural sound of the strut operating properly (well, operating in conjunction with the spring). Just sounds like what I used to hear from Monroe struts on an old Buick with lots of miles going over a speed bump. I would be curious to see if you would have the same sound if the struts were replaced with a more beefed up strut - maybe something from Bilstein (and stiffer springs). The sponginess of the noise would be much more crisp - but as it looks like you were going over speed bumps... you are going to get some noise...

(it looks like) and I assume you were going over the speed bump evenly (both wheels traveling over the bump at the same time?) Have you tried straddling the bump (e.g. drivers wheel on the flat, and only the passenger wheel going over the speed bump - and vice versa?)

Wondering if that might change the sounds... or isolate it on one side or other the other....
Yes, I was going over the bumps dead on, I've not had the opportunity to hit a speed bump at an angle like you propose. Honestly, the squeaking issue isn't really my major issue as I so infrequently go over speed bumps, it's the hollow noise from the rear suspension, and that one I have hit bumps/cracks at angles and can confirm the noise happens twice as each corner hits the bump, but it does seem louder on the right rear, however, that could be due to harmonics and reverb inside the cabin as my right ear is open to the huge cabin of the car where the left ear is somewhat protected by the seat, windows and has a less direct channel to hear noise.

It does beg the question that I wonder if my shocks are performing below spec because they feel a bit mushy. My Audi S6 obviously has a sports suspension, but compared to our prior "R-Design" XC60 Volvo and the X5 prior to that, the MDX doesn't feel as stiff or solid when going over those speed bumps. Obviously the MDX isn't supposed to compete with those sport tuned suspension, but most people comment the MDX is on the stiffer/more-athletic side. It doesn't bounce like a car with obviously bad struts, but it doesn't seem to pop back to place after the speedbump like the prior sportier SUVs. This mushiness feels more apparent on the fronts.

Any easy way to check if the struts are bad besides waiting for my tires to wear out early? I can do the bounce test, but I'm not sure they're bad enough to really show significant bounce issues.

Thanks for the technical input, it is much appreciated!

1 - 20 of 148 Posts