Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My battery was starting to show signs of needing replacement and before it died on my wife this winter I got ahead of it and replaced it and thought we can all benefit from recording the process and steps.

The signs that started to show was:
- slow cranking in the cold
- remote start would not work unless the car was already warmed up from a previous start
- it triggered the Christmas Tree dashboard alert(s) where just about every dashboard warning light was triggered

It was the original battery and I got about 3 years and 70k+ miles under heavy equipment use (multiple chargers, DVD, radio etc)
I replaced it with the Costco Interstate (23) battery.

Enjoy

·
Registered
742 Posts
I am buying a Vetomile 800A jump start battery just in case. In another thread it was mentioned that a symptom of a dying battery was that the steering wheel no longer moved back continuously, but stalled in the middle during the engine cranking, while going to the driver's preset position. It seems clear that the factory battery is lucky to make it through the first 4 years. It will be worth it to step up and buy a quality AGM or even better GEL battery for replacement.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
The only indication we noticed on my 2014 MDX of the battery failing is when it actually failed and the Christmas tree of dash lights and headlights were blinking crazily and various relays were clicking. It was essentially a sudden failure. This happened somewhat after 4 years so I was expecting it to fail soon.

I considered buying a portable jump starter but then figured I'd be better off by just changing the battery pro-actively at somewhere around 4 years but that's no guarantee of course. I've read many reviews of the jump starters indicating many of them don't really work that well and of course when a battery fails it can't always be successfully jump started.

Given the above, my experience with the battery in the MDX was on par with my experiences with many other vehicles - no better and no worse. If anything, one might consider it better since none of my other vehicles had anywhere close to the electronics of the MDX (tech/shawd) yet the battery still managed to last a bit over 4 years. Disclaimer - I'm in a fairly ideal climate for a battery (or anything else) so that likely helped my battery last longer than if I lived in Phoenix or Minneapolis or the like.

·
Registered
742 Posts
If you go to Amazon and check the reviews, whether or not you buy there, you can quickly sort out the good jump start batteries from the garbage - and there seems to be a lot of garbage. I have found that China likes to dump their old lithiums on the US. The game is to dismantle old battery packs and salvage cells that haven't failed yet, then repackage them (new shrink-wrap cover or plastic case). From a trusted source it shouldn't be a problem.

I agree that a 4 year battery life is not something to complain about, especially considering the heavy loads of the MDX. Buying a high quality replacement battery is important though.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I'm curious as to how the electronic gizmos in the MDX affect battery life as has been mentioned a few times?

The battery is used to start the vehicle. Once it's started, shouldn't the alternator be providing the power?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I'm curious as to how the electronic gizmos in the MDX affect battery life as has been mentioned a few times?

The battery is used to start the vehicle. Once it's started, shouldn't the alternator be providing the power?
As an alternator is spun by the engine, it creates AC. The AC output it run through a rectifier to get DC. This DC has a "pulsing" effect:

Traditionally, a battery acts to smooth out those pulses:

That is true in pretty much every automobile. However, newer vehicles take it a step further. Alternators cause parasitic drag on an engine, which impacts fuel economy. To improve fuel economy, some vehicles add an electronic clutch between the alternator and its pulley. This allows the alternator to be (dis)connected as necessary to balance charging with economy. While the alternator clutch is disengaged, the battery bears the full load of the electrical system.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Ah...that makes sense. Do we have this black magic clutch thing on the 3rd gen MDX?
Yes, we do.

PS - i had a 1984 Nighthawk 650. Wish I had never sold it waaay back in 1995.
Nice. I had a VF700F Interceptor that I did sell. I'll never sell my Nighthawk

·
Registered
12 Posts
For what it's worth during the recent cold snap in New England (13 straight days without high temperature surpassing 32F, night time temps in the single digits) I had to replace the battery on our '14 Tech Pkg. Car is parked outside at all times. One morning over new year's weekend the car would not start. The vehicle made clicking noises and started throwing some error lights on the dash. The indicator light that was the most predominate was the power steering failure. Service adviser at the dealership said it was likely due to low amps being provided by the failing battery. Anyways, 4-5 years battery life on an highly electronic laden amps drain by the extensive systems seems predictable and acceptable to me.

Dealership replaced the battery along with new terminals. I need a new plastic cover for the positive terminal as it was brittle at single digit temps when I attempted to jump the vehicle and it snapped. They did not replace it when doing the battery replacement. Does anybody have a part number for that little item?

J

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Cover for battery fuse terminal part number is 32418-TZ5-A01

MSRP: $8.80
Can be found online for ~$6.60. Although, it's often easier/cheaper to buy inexpensive parts at your dealer as shipping costs eat away potential savings.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.