Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started to feel slight vibrations yesterday when I stopped at a red light. I feel the steering wheel and the brake vibrate just a little bit. What can be causing this. by the way is not the a/c. My X has 19,000 and it just got an oil change. Any ideas :confused:

·
Registered
928 Posts
change the gas station!
it could be that water condenced in the gas tank - look at the muffler exaust: is it dripping water or white smoke coming off 'it?
watered down gas is not good for ya! ;)
in rainy season better run on a 1/2+ tank. hope this helps!

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
I'm assuming w/that many miles you have an '01 as opposed to an '02? Pls confirm. If an '02 you might check to make sure you're not in the VIN range for the waterpump recall. Fraying timing belt could cause the vibe.

Could be a number of things. Mass airflow sensor is a common one on other cars...haven't seen that prob listed here for the X, tho.

Good luck.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is a 2001 X. I have used Exxon since the very beginnig and have never felt this until now. I will mention it to the dealer on the next visit but I already know their answer: "They all do that". :3:
Thanks for responding.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Well, they don't all do that, as we all know. But you might run into the "no check engine light, no problem" explanation.

Maybe RobSJ (tech from a San Joser dealership) can offer some suggestions. If he doesn't pop into this thread this eve (which is when he normally checks in) you might shoot him a PM.

·
** BANNED ** (enough is enough)
275 Posts
Oh no...it could be another one!

Does this vibration persist if you pop it into neutral? Or is it only in D5? And if so, does it change in intensity if you put in it 2?
Idle only? Hot? Cold? Both? Gimme some more details.

Rob

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rob,

It's the same on D5, D4, n, p, 2. It does it when is both hot and cold. What do you mean "OH NO... it could be another one". It feels like the engine is rev. up and down. What do you think it is?

·
Registered
93 Posts
ssMDX01: PLEASE CLARIFY!

Is this "vibration" felt while the car is in motion? If YES, ...is it felt while your foot is pressing on the brake pedal, and NOT felt while NOT pressing on the brake? If this is the case, it's a braking issue such as warped rotors or bad pads, such as a TSB I had performed on my TL.

If it's felt with your foot OFF of the brake pedal, then I don't know, I'm not a tech, and never had it happen.

If this is a vibration felt while standing still with engine running / car NOT in motion, then it sounds to me like an engine related issue, but not the water pump recall, ...since you have an '01 and the recall is on '02s.

PLEASE CLARIFY!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry if I was not clear enough. I feel the vibration when the car is in a complete stop. I feel it with my foot on or off the brake pedal (yes with the engine running). Thanks speedy for trying to help.

·
Registered
116 Posts
ssMDX01 said:
Rob,

It's the same on D5, D4, n, p, 2. It does it when is both hot and cold. What do you mean "OH NO... it could be another one". It feels like the engine is rev. up and down. What do you think it is?
I think Rob was thinking it might be another bad transmission.

With more information, I think Rob can be a big help to diagnose possible cause.

torchny

·
** BANNED ** (enough is enough)
275 Posts
It feels like the engine is rev. up and down. What do you think it is?
I want to know more about this statement.

So if you put in in neutral, the engine will surge? And feels like it wants to lurch in gear? If that's the case, then I'd say there's an idle control problem. I wouln't be surprised if the check engine light comes on associated with this.

If that's not what's going on, then I still am not ruling out the transmission. Could be that the torque converter threw its balancing weight, or even an internal problem.

Any other parameters you can give?

Rob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts