Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so this is my 1st mdx and i always wanted one but i freaking hate it due to the fact that i been dealing with stupid stuff.. its 2008 acura mdx.. got this car used, dealer put new tires but they are not a know brand.. so i been having some vibration issues lately.. i sent the rims to get them refinished.. i balanced my tires.. i did a alignment.. but the vibration is still there between 60-80.. wierderrrrr thing is it is on and off.. also the car pulls to the left.. the tires are wearing out in a wierd way.. any common problems or any idea from anyone so i can finally get this fixed.. i been trying for months
PS.. i did my chain and axles at acura 15k miles ago, they left the pass side motor mount loose and i drove like tht for a week.. i took it back they replaced it for free.. but front was damaged due to there mistake, got that replaced for free also.. but when i got the car back i made a right turn out of the dealership and as im turning the wheel it clicks.. i believe the steering link has played which when i took it right back they just took it in and (most likely greesed it) gave it back to me.. it was good afterwards but now 15k miles later i have this issue

·
Registered
132 Posts
I had vibration issues myself and clunks. After replacing inner/outer tie rods, sway bar bushings, sway bar links, and struts, the vibrations and clunks remained! I finally put on new control arms. The vibrations are gone, and it drives like a brand new X but the clunk remained!!!! All my motor mounts are busted which is also the source of the clunk. I'm Having the motor mounts dropped in tomorrow. 07 MDX 165k miles

ps now my windshield is freaking cracked!!!!!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did have clunks and i replaced the sway bar bushings and link and thats gone.. but the control arm looks good.. the bushing has no damage on them.. before i got the rims done the whole car would vibrate after 70 and it wouldnt stop as went faster, it would just get worse.. after i did my rims and balanced, now only the steering wheel reallly shakes when im between 60-70.. and i feels a slight vibration +/- 5.. and it doesnt even happen sometimes.. wierd AF.. i feel like it is my tires and when they warm up it goes away

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
i sent the rims to get them refinished.. i balanced my tires.. i did a alignment.. but the vibration is still there between 60-80
Unlabalanced wheels usually start vibrating at 60 mph and do not stop vibrating going faster. If your wheels were properly balanced on a RoadForce machine and the car is still vibrating, it's not the tires then. If you did the alignment and it was all green, vibration can be caused by anything: bad hub bearing(s), seized brake calipers (especially if the car is pulling to any side), worn contorl arms, drive shafts, propeller shaft (loose), etc, etc, etc. Rather than trying to eliminate those one by one, go to Acura or any other reputable mechanic and have them diagnose the cause. You'll have a report on your hands and can make a decision from there whether it's something you can do yourself, or you need to have someone do it.

PS.. i did my chain and axles at acura 15k miles ago
What chain do you mean?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The thing is i did all of that except for roadforce balance.. mechanic said everything looks great just for the tires being worn down in a wierd way..
And i am talking about the timing chain

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
The thing is i did all of that except for roadforce balance.. mechanic said everything looks great just for the tires being worn down in a wierd way.
I see, well, I guess you need new tires then!

And i am talking about the timing chain
There is no timing chain on Second Gen MDX. We have a timing belt.

·
Registered
306 Posts
you have uneven tire wear so some type of suspension component is likely causing that however id like to speak on the vibration alone assuming the suspension is sorted out completely.

with vibration "coming and going" at those speeds it almost always means there is at least two tires out of balance. the imbalance is going in and out of phase and the vibration will come and go. with a constant vibration you will usually have only one tire out of balance.

this car is maddening with tire vibrations. many have reported your same complaint with very few resolutions partly due to the myriad of possible causes. add to that most mechanics are parts swappers now and dont want to actually use their brain to do any actual diagnostic work and you have a real problem.

i have been fighting this since we bought our 08. i have personally inspected the suspension top to bottom and found nothing wrong, no clunks or worn/loose connections. same with propellar shaft. even tire wear. replaced the brake rotors and problem remains. the only thing i have had done to remove 95% of the vibration is a roadforce balance at a place who actually gives a **** and will use the machine properly. most places will just use it as an ordinary balance machine and when you come back to them saying it still isnt right are all too quick to point out "they are cheap tires" or "maybe its a shifted belt or a tire problem", ppl are lazy and no one wants to do a good job anymore. i swear if i could afford a roadforce machine id buy one, you cant rely on anyone these days.

get a roadforce balance and insist on having the tires force matched to the wheels. while mounting the wheels place the area with the most added weight opposite of the flat spot carved out of the vented face of the rotor (this marks the heavy spot on the rotor and should be placed opposite of the wheel weights). example, rotor heavy spot at 6 oclock wheel heavy spot should be mounted at 12 oclock. sometimes the orientation of the lug pattern to weight placement makes this not 100% possible. in this case just get it as close to opposite as possible. also use an angle grinder with a scuff pad to remove all the corrosion where the wheel mounting face meets the rotor, this will require cleaning up both the wheel and rotor surfaces.

if the problem remains you will have to dive into tire pressures and rotating wheels front to back, side to side and radially around the clocking of the lugs, like i said, maddening. good luck.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Totally agree with you on most mechanics.. i however take it to a show that i use to work at.. im always there woth them while doing it.. and the guy always takes care of my car like his own.. i have no problem with that but i also am dealing with this issue for 3-4 months now.. i just think i need new tires and a good alignment after.. cause alignment woth these tires is never going to work.. all the other suspension parts seem to be in good condition.. so annoying

·
Registered
278 Posts
If it is wheels and tires you can even pick up a second set off of Craigslist for very little $. I have a second set for snow tires I only paid $150 for. That way can easily swap wheels to see if that is an issue or not.

Also a failed strut or bushing can cause these issies, did you check if your shocks are leaking?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If it is wheels and tires you can even pick up a second set off of Craigslist for very little $. I have a second set for snow tires I only paid $150 for. That way can easily swap wheels to see if that is an issue or not.

Also a failed strut or bushing can cause these issies, did you check if your shocks are leaking?
No leaks.. struts some to be solid also

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I switched around tires.. put the ones that come out wierd on the balance machine in the back.. everything seem to be fine now but you can feel the backs kinda shake 75+ mph (those tires seems to have the most wear).. still pulling to the left.. if i switch the front 2 left to right it pulls to the right.. im concluding that the tires are shot.. these tires are reversible, should even bother trying to do inside out on the tires

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
How many miles on the tires? They look roached and you'll probably never get them balanced properly either way. These are very picky about balancing even with brand new tires...you need a properly calibrated road-force machine, a technician willing to put in the effort, and maybe a little luck. Who's been doing the alignment? I'd say you need a pro...someone with gray hair that's been doing this a long time.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How many miles on the tires? They look roached and you'll probably never get them balanced properly either way. These are very picky about balancing even with brand new tires...you need a properly calibrated road-force machine, a technician willing to put in the effort, and maybe a little luck. Who's been doing the alignment? I'd say you need a pro...someone with gray hair that's been doing this a long time.
The tires have about 20k miles in just a year, i drive alot..
A pro mechanic has been doing it.. hes like family, takes care of my car always been helpfull.. lol and does have grey hair.. got the tires balance here in the 1st place.. everything was great untill 3 months ago

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had vibration issues myself and clunks. After replacing inner/outer tie rods, sway bar bushings, sway bar links, and struts, the vibrations and clunks remained! I finally put on new control arms. The vibrations are gone, and it drives like a brand new X but the clunk remained!!!! All my motor mounts are busted which is also the source of the clunk. I'm Having the motor mounts dropped in tomorrow. 07 MDX 165k miles

ps now my windshield is freaking cracked!!!!!!

Did the motor mounts fix your clunk?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts