Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I have a few questions:

1. When your car drives at very slow speeds (approaching traffic light), do you feel like the car is slowly moving from side to side?

2. After my 15K service I have experienced an overall "bouncier" sensation in the ride, and a vibration in the steering wheel. I have been back there 3 times. The dealer said each time that the wheels weren't balanced properly, and they rebalanced them (3 times)! I finally went to another Acura dealer, and they said the wheels were totally unbalanced and they balanced them, but the wheel still vibrates (mostly at higher speeds, but feels "weird" at lower speeds too). The original Acura dealer says they don't feel anything, but they are lying - you can actually see the wheel vibrating back & forth!

What should I do?

Anyone else experience this?

Thanks in advance. If you have advice, please email me at [email protected].

Jenn Pinto

·
Registered
180 Posts
We had the same problem or similar problem. Been to Springfield Acura 3 times, rebalanced and realigned, the problem kept up. We then took it to Ryans Open Road Acura, they said they didn't see the problem but they still rebalanced and realigned the tires. Now the problem is much less and not as noticable.

Could just be bad machines and mechanics doing the balance and realignment work.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
1. Have the dealer check to make sure that you don't have a broken swaybar link in the rear suspension; that could cause the "moving from side to side" feeling. Do a search on "swaybar link" on this site -- you can find pics of what to look for, and save a trip to the dealer unless a link is broken.

2. Take the car to a tire company that you trust, and have them balance the tires; your dealers may be clueless. Ask them to check for out-of-round tires, as well as mis-mounted tires.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went to NTB (National Tire & Battery) and they put the tires on a machine. They said that I had 2 tires that were out of round. And because it is a 4 wheel drive vehicle, Michelin has to replace all 4 tires. So they are ordering my tires, but I have to pay for the 15K miles I put on them.

I really hope these guys know what they are talking about and this solves the problem. These guys didn't look too swift. But I did see the wheel spinning on the machine and it looked like it wasn;t spinning too evenly - although there was a lot of salt on the tires (from snow), discoloring them so that could give an illustion of uneven spinning. I guess it should solve the problem, since I never felt the vibration until the tires were rotated, so it makes sense.

Why would that happen though? Could it be that the Acura dealer never balanced them properly at the 7500K service, and they wore down unevenly? Very strange...

Anyway, thanks for the advice! :)

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
jpinto-

I've always replaced tires as pairs: same axle gets replaced together... the business of "4 wheel drive" sounds fishy, or wrong- still, I'd rather get all 4 new tires. In fact, I'd strongly prefer it since then you can drive 30k and replace all 4 again (and not have to be replacing 2 here and there)

They also might not realize that the VTM is a 'smart differential' and that you don't have a 'locked differrential 4WD system'...

What kind of machine did they use?

There is a Hunter 9700 balancer that measures not just balance, but compliance as well (also out-of-round) Usually for higher performance vehicles (Infiniti/Lexus/BMW/MB/etc) Cars where you can actually feel the variations.

Tire manufacturers don't like it one bit- lots of otherwise good tires get bounced back for mfg defects.

Sounds like they might be on the right track.

One question: how are they calculating what % you owe?????? Is it based on mileage (15k over some number) or tread depth? If mileage, let us know what Michelin thinks these will last! :)

I'm on my second set of cross terrains, and need a third soon.

Ard

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ardvarkus,
the machine said "hunter" but I am not sure what model it is. When I called Michelin they said they'd be measuring the tread, not the mileage. Oh, one more question: isn't the life of these tires supposed to be 50K, not 30K?

daleb,
I am not really sure what you are referring to. So I guess I don;t know the answer to your question. That's pretty much why I posted here, to get some answers.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
jpinto said:
ardvarkus,
the machine said "hunter" but I am not sure what model it is. When I called Michelin they said they'd be measuring the tread, not the mileage. Oh, one more question: isn't the life of these tires supposed to be 50K, not 30K?
jp-

Ah, as I suspected....thickness, not miles- get ready for a surprise... I'd bet 50%-60%?

I've got 49k on mine MDX, and probably won't get more than 5k more on the current set.

This is the SECOND SET, so divide by two: 25-27k per set.

There is NO mileage warranty, nor even any claims anywhere on how much you should expect with the cross terrains, to my knowledge.

BTW, it is my wife's car, and she is a very un-aggressive drive (and slow), but 80% of our driving is on secondary asphalt roads with (typically) chipseal every 5 years or so. Not concrete freeways.

"Your mileage may vary"

:)

Ard

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
update

Well, Michelin ended up replacing 2 tires, not 4. So I have 2 new tires and the problem has not gone away.

Acura of Ocean has not been very accomodating, and they are stuck on this "tire" issue. They refuse to check out anything else. They say it just doesn't make sense that it would be anything else since it started after my 15K service. It doesn't make sense that it would be anything else, but now we have to look at other things, right?

I am seriously looking into persuing the lemon law with this. The vibration I am experiencing in this VERY expensive vehicle is NOT acceptable! And it didn't occur until I had it serviced, so maybe they screwed something up, or loosened something during the service. I am a very understanding person, I realize mistakes happen, but I just want this problem resolved already. It has been going on for 2 months now, and neither Acura dealers have taken the initiative to investigate other possible causes of this vibration. It is OBVIOUSLY not the tires, right? The vehicle doesn't feel extrememly stable on the highway - vibrating in both the steering wheel & throughout the car & seat. It is making me nervous.

HELP!!!

I remember someone posting this exact same problem in another thread, and they said they were pursuing the lemon law. Does anyone know how this ended up? Did they get the problem fixed? If so, how???

Thanks for all of your answers and advice thus far!
:)

·
Registered
180 Posts
shaking steering wheel

We've started experiencing a shaking steering wheel whenever we hit the brake. So far we have no idea what is causing it. The 2001 MDX only has 21k miles. We are scheduling an appointment with Ryan's Acura in NJ. I'll post what they find, if anything.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TeamTMS

Sounds like your brakes - that should be easy to fix. I feel it all the time, driving.

Hope you get it resolved. The guys at Ryans are pretty nice, although they still didn't solve my problem. All they did was adjust the tire pressure :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
teamtms and jpinto -

The tire situation sucks. If your feeling vibration when you brake, I would have them check the brakes and the rotors - if the rotors are warped and need to be replaced or resurfaced, it will cause vibration. Have you checked to make sure two of the rims arent bent? I would ask the dealer to put 4 new tires and rims and see if the problems go away. I dont know about the lemon law but you may want to ask your friendly lawyer on this forum. ;)

·
Registered
653 Posts
Now I have a question. Say it is his rotors, which makes sense. Although I know they are a wear and tear item, I still do not believe that they should be warped at only 15K. I would have to say they are defective and should be replaced under warranty, especially since they have not been resurfaced yet. Is my thinking correct?

·
Registered
180 Posts
If it turns out to be rotors or even the brake pads, I'm going to ask for it to be covered under warranty. Although they are wear and tear items, it shouldn't have worned out or warped under normal driving and LOW MILEALGE (the car is 2 years old with only 21K miles).

I will keep you posted as to the results. Going to call them, Ryans Acura, later today to schedule an appointment.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My rotors have already been warped & resurfaced. They tell me it is normal for rotors to warp like that...but then again the door could fall off & they'd tell me that was normal too. This car was 9 months old when I began having this problem (15K mile service) It is now 14 months old.

So now the steering wheel doesn't vibrate when I break, only when I drive. Supposedly they took all the wheels off & drove the car with another set of tires/wheels, and the car did the same thing. THEN they said they changed the tire pressure in MY tires and it was *smooth*. This mechanic is on crack if he thinks the car was driving smooth! The wheel STILL vibrates on the highway, and it's so bad you can SEE it vibrating.

I think they just gave up because they don't know what the hell it is. That's OK, because i am in the process of "lemoning" this car. I will never buy another Acura as long as I live. I wish I had a great experience like most of you here, but unfortunately, this is the worst purchase I have ever made in my life.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I'm starting to feel a little pulsation when I hit my brakes as well, and I know it's rotors.

How common is this problem? My 03 has just under 10k miles. I'm disappointed to say the least.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Warp rotors usually caused by hard stopping or a lot of steep downhills stopping. Sounded like you should talk to the Area Service Manager from Acura if you have have high speed vibration and not happy with the current dealer. Good luck

·
Registered
700 Posts
My drivers power window is working very slowly, so I need a dealer visit anyway. Lubing the track isn't helping.

To compare my MDX to my other vehicles, my Accord rotors lasted 135,000 miles and never warped. They were 80% (thickness) of the OEM spec when I replaced them. And my Corvette, which I drive much harder than my X, the factory rotors remain like I drove it off the showroom.

We'll see what Acura does. I'm sure they will turn them, but it's disappointing for a 40K vehicle. Was interested to see who else with an 03 has expereienced this.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
mine were warped after 19K miles...can you guess what the guys at Acura said...YUP! "That's normal for the MDX"

They come up with a reason for everything.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts