Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Very Serious Problems

5K views 33 replies 15 participants last post by  DaleB 
#1 ·
While driving my 3 month old 2002 MDX yesterday (less than 5,000 miles on it, by the way), the engine suddenly STOPPED. I still had electrical power, but the engine was shot. Acura towed it in and here's what they've told me...

The back cylinder froze up while I was driving. This apparently sheared some of the teeth on the timing belt. The car "jumped time" which caused the pistons to hit the valves. Now I'm told the valves are bent and many parts have to be replaced (including the cam shaft and rocker arms, among other things).

I have been told I should demand a new engine assembly or a new car all together. Does anyone have any thoughts on the situation?? Has anyone else experienced a similar problem in their MDX??

Thanks!

#2 ·
It has to be fully-covered under warranty. I would think that a new (or worst-case, factory-rebuilt with a full warranty) engine would be installed, with the old engine going back to the factory so that the engineers can see just what happened. I'd push for a new engine, but you may or may not get one (I understand that ALL failed transmissions are replaced with rebuilts). :(

#3 ·
REMANUFACTURED...

... as discussed in other posts, the process of replacing parts with a REMANUFACTURED unit is industry standard.

Rebuilt implies they just fix what is worn, while remanufactured is 100% spec to new.

Not really a worry.

Demand a new vehicle? Don't see any reason to. "New" engine? Probably not an option, but if it is, go for it. BTW "demand" is kinda pointless -- the warranty says they will "repair or replace" if you don't like the terms don't buy the car...

#4 ·
I appreciate your opinion, but certainly you must appreciate the dilemma...I just paid $44,000 for a car that -- three months in -- is seriously damaged. By the way, it was the sales manager of my dealer (and a former Honda mechanic for 25 years) who suggested I "demand" the new engine or new car from Honda North America.

#5 ·
Just remember, the one that broke was a 'new' engine in the beginning.
A reman should be of equal quality and is certainly covered with 0 miles as the starting point for the warranty.
In fact maybe they should just extend your existing b to b warranty 5000 miles.
I would insist on a loaner or covered rental during the repair, and it's a not a bad time to clean up on more accessories for your inconvenience.
IF a dealer can give me free wheel locks, rear splash guards, and a cargo cover because my vehicle was delivered 10 days late, they should really bend over backwards for their emabarrassment of you having a practically brand new MDX with a defective engine.

#6 ·
I'd be surprised if you don't get a new engine...it's probably less $ for them to do that than to pay the labor and parts costs on rebuilding it @ the dealership.

Ask to speak w/a regional rep -- those are the people w/the authority to deal w/your problem.

I'd start out asking for a new car. They'll probably balk at that.

Then ask for a new (or factory remanufactured) engine, plus a 7/100 bumper-to-bumper warranty. You'll get that.

Keep in mind that most states have a 30-day-outta-service lemon law clause, too...which u can use for leverage depending on how long all these repairs are going to take (depends on availability of the engines, of course).

BTW, you're the first person around here with a blown engine. BellTeck had a bad engine, but that was a seal/oil leak issue.

#7 ·
Under the circumstances you mentioned, 5000 miles and major damage to engine, replacing with a new engine is the minimum you should get in my opinion. I don't think it would be unreasonable for you to also get some kind of "policy adjustment" like an extended warrantee for 2/20000 after factory guarantee is over for piece of mind considering what happened.

Keep us informed as to how Acura takes care of this. It says a lot about a company as to how they handle a situation like yours. It will be a factor in my desire buy another Acura in the future..

#8 ·
In addition to the above suggestions I would also make it clear to the dealer and the Acura rep that you will be posting status reports on this forum, which is read by many current and prospective customers. I understand your pain. The same thing happened to me many years ago on a brand new 1977 Datsun 280Z. They replaced the entire engine. I didn't even have to ask.

#10 ·
Unfortunately, I haven't heard a word. In all fairness, Honda of North America (Acura Client Services Division) told me yesterday it would take 2 - 3 business days for them to decide what to do. I will keep you all posted as things progress. Meanwhile, I'm stuck with a rental which only makes me miss my MDX all the more!!:3:

#11 ·
:3: Well, I thought you would all be interested in Acura's response. They have admitted that they have NO idea what caused my cylinder to freeze up in the first place. Nonetheless, they absolutely REFUSE to replace the engine. Rather, they are going to simply replace the damage caused by the frozen cylinder, and send me back on the road knowing it could happen again at any moment. The Acura Client Services rep. who made this decision could not have been more rude, nor less sympathetic. In short, I'll be dumping the piece of C**P as soon as I get it back from the "machine shop" and I'll trade it in on something (anything) more reliable. I caution you all AGAINST buying this vehicle. It is nothing short of a road hazard. :3: :3: :3: :3:

#12 ·
Unbelievable!

The few hundred Dollars (if that much) that Acura will save will cost them much more because of loss of customers confidence in their desire to take care of problems in a manner that is reasonably requested by the consumer. I think your request for a new engine was reasonable.

Do you have the email address of the Acura rep? If so send it to me by private message and I will let him know that although I really like my MDX I probably will not consider another Acura vehicle in the future.

I suggest you go over this reps head. Ask who his boss is and let him know of your situation and rude treatment. Keep going if you have to go all the way to the top...

#13 ·
Find out from the moderator how many members are on here, and send something collective from all us stating our dissatisfaction in not handlng this problem in a professional manner. And for
not accommodating an Acura owner who was greatly incovenienced by a factory defect.
As much as we love our X's, we paid good money and expect the manufacturer to hold up his end of the transaction. Treat us right we will spread the word, insult our intellegence the word will spread faster.

#15 ·
Thank you for your replies. I was told by the person at Acura client services that he was "the final word within Acura." Basically, he told me my only other option was to file a lawsuit. I already told him about my participation on this webiste and gave him an idea of the number of users ... his response: "Do whatever you want, people will continue to buy this car." Nonetheless, I will post this information as many places as possible. I really expected more out of a luxury automobile maker like Acura. The frustrating thing is, I bought this car after doing extensive research on its reliability. I realize I received the exception to the rule, and I realize that that happens. I am most disturbed not by the problem with my car, but by Acura's incredibly rude response.:3: :3:

#16 ·
Thank you for your replies. I was told by the person at Acura client services that he was "the final word within Acura." Basically, he told me my only other option was to file a lawsuit. I already told him about my participation on this webiste and gave him an idea of the number of users ... his response: "Do whatever you want, people will continue to buy this car." Nonetheless, I will post this information as many places as possible. I really expected more out of a luxury automobile maker like Acura. The frustrating thing is, I bought this car after doing extensive research on its reliability. I realize I received the exception to the rule, and I realize that that happens. I am most disturbed not by the problem with my car, but by Acura's incredibly rude response.:3: :3:

By the way, I don't have the person's e-mail address; we spoke only by telephone. I'm tempted to post his name here, but should probably think about that first...

#17 ·
Well, let's look on the bright side.. there has to be one!
First of all, as X owners we all feel your pain, no doubt about that.
Please don't take this the wrong way, but one positive thing is if Acura was totally taken back by this failure, it must be rare.
Another thing, by replacing the damaged parts they are likely replacing what was causing the problem. IF not, like an oil starvation problem due to some kind of blockage, etc. the problem will only recur.

But if the first case is true, the engine may just run fine after the repairs and if it keeps running fine for another 45, 000 miles that's certainly a good indication.
If not the warranty will certainly cover it, again.
Are they providing you alternate transportation? I guess it's safe to assume by their attitude, they are going to fix it, period. Nothing extra.

Such arrogance. Because it should not have failed, they are going to treat a paying customer like crap. Very disheartening to say the least.

Sorry, did not mean to ramble, just can't see how Acura can perpetuate this kind of relationship with their customers. I wish you the best, and certainly can't blame you for wanting to cut and run, you must have a very bad taste in your mouith. Another reason Acura will continue to pretend to be in the Lexus class, instead of competing with them.

#19 ·
janderson89,

Don't give up, that is what they [Honda] want you to do!!

(1) First, call Tim [see previous post]. He is in a postion to offer you direct and/or indirect help that I suspect you will find very useful.

(2) The "Acura Rep" is full of crap. His job is to "resolve problems" and you create problems for him if you go over his head. Screw him, take care of yourself. Some ideas:

(a) Send FedExp Letter to Acura explaining your dismay [go ahead and reference Lexus].

(b) Get the sellling dealer involved. If they are half-decent, they will lobby on your side. Remember, customer satisfaction and customer loyalty and brand loyalty are big tickets in today's auto world.

(c) Start researching the CA Lemon Laws. I used this 2 years ago and Honda finally made good on a Passport EX [what a piece of crap that was].

Do not give up. Dumping the X [as you mentioned] simply punishes you [a very expensive punishment indeed]. Remember, "god helps those who help themselves" ....
:3:

#20 ·
How was the engine running on the MDX before the engine decided to croak? Do you mind posting your VIN Number and build date. I don't know if VIN Numbers are one right after the other but my MDX has a build date of 4/2002 which puts it close to yours. My engine has an awkward attitude and I have noticed several other quaility issues with my X....

#23 ·
Waylan,

The only thing I noticed before my engine blew was that the engine "hesitated" a lot. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I was told this was the ULEV engine always trying to switch to the highest gear. I doubt that now. I found that the engine was very fussy in street traffic, unless I put it in D4 (which helped, but didn't totally fix the problem). Again, since I had been told the engine was constantly trying to switch gears, I thought this was normal.

I'm not terribly comfortable posting my VIN number here, but when I eventually get my 'X back, I'll be sure to pass on the build date. I purchased it on 3/11/02, so it had to have been built before yours.

Good luck and keep us posted on any problems you develop.

I'm going to call my actual dealer today, and see if they're willing to help me out. If they are, you better believe they'll get their kudos here!

#24 ·
Just post the last 5 digits

Makes sense about not wanting to post your vin number. The last 5 digits are the build sequence, so if it was 04051, you have the 4,051st 2002 mdx built. Maybe just post the last 4 digits....

#26 ·
DaleB said:
Well, let's look on the bright side.. there has to be one!
First of all, as X owners we all feel your pain, no doubt about that.
Please don't take this the wrong way, but one positive thing is if Acura was totally taken back by this failure, it must be rare.
Another thing, by replacing the damaged parts they are likely replacing what was causing the problem. IF not, like an oil starvation problem due to some kind of blockage, etc. the problem will only recur.

But if the first case is true, the engine may just run fine after the repairs and if it keeps running fine for another 45, 000 miles that's certainly a good indication.
If not the warranty will certainly cover it, again.
Are they providing you alternate transportation? I guess it's safe to assume by their attitude, they are going to fix it, period. Nothing extra.

Such arrogance. Because it should not have failed, they are going to treat a paying customer like crap. Very disheartening to say the least.

Sorry, did not mean to ramble, just can't see how Acura can perpetuate this kind of relationship with their customers. I wish you the best, and certainly can't blame you for wanting to cut and run, you must have a very bad taste in your mouith. Another reason Acura will continue to pretend to be in the Lexus class, instead of competing with them.
Seems Acura is arrogant since the MDX is so hot! From the moment i picked my X up, and they didn't want to give me a second key ring, but only a piece of wire holding the key, remote, and valet key, i saw it was seriously deficient customer treatment compared to lexus and mercedes treatment i've had in the past.

Regarding the engine, I had a head gasket blow on an eagle vision six years back. they also just fixed what had to be fixed when it overheated and froze up. Yes, it lasted tens of thousands of miles more, but it eventually needed head replacement under warranty.....and after the warranty was expired, the main bearings froze up. New alloy engines just can't take a period of overheating without serious warping and wear setting in. Fixing you engine is not doing you a favor. They should replace it, or at least extend the warranty until 100,000 miles or something.

Additionally, when my ML was hung up in a far away dealership for repair, not only did mercedes provide a mb loaner, they also refunded a month of my lease payment as a measure of good will. Acura should learn to please the customer!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.