Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I could have gone on about my trip to Tahoe on March 15, where in the snowy conditions I happened upon a Lexus LX470 crunched into an ice berm, right fender and bumper caved in- awaiting a tow.

For the life of me, I can't imagine how this could have happened given VSC,LSD,ASD,ABS,POS,Blah,Blah,Blah.

Point is, annectdotal stories about this stuff are just a waste of time. Next thing we'll be splitting hairs on the different AWD systems.

I still want to know if the original poster found anything wrong with his system at the dealer, and specifically if the dealer did a FULL diagnostic work-up.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Re: Not so good...

Guys (and Gals),

Please re-read the original post:

rx7max said:
...Went up a driveway into a parking lot. It was a low to medium steep hill covered in ice and snow. Midway, I stopped bc we weren't sure if we had turned into the right parking lot. After the car had completely stopped, it started to slide backwards - I released the brakes and applied it again for ABS to kick in. It stopped after about 2 feet.
This has nothing to do with the VTM4 system! (Nor any other 4WD system for that matter) The car was completely stopped and was sliding down the hill on packed snow/ice. The only factor that can affect the traction of an automobile with all four wheels stopped is the vehicle weight and the grip of the tires (which obviously was insufficient for these particular conditions).

Please search and review the several threads discussing snow and ice tires and the VAST difference proper tread patterns and tread compounds make in limited grip conditions.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
donsev-

I've experienced a similar occurance-

You were lucky the tires found enough traction for the ABS to be effective. All these systems (TCS, ABS, VTM, LSD, etc) are predicated on havin SOME traction between tire and road surface...

I'd been talking privately with Robyjo about it, but it was during a surprise storm coming down from Lake Tahoe in the Sierras. CHP had just closed the road behind me. As I was driving down, we were on a banked turn- there was a line of cars on the inside of the bank parked, waiting to go up hill. Actually, they were stopped by a CHP truck holding traffic. The pickup in front of me stopped, so I did...then we both started to slide sideways. He kept on the brakes, I dropped to 2 and pressed VTMlock and drove forward- I cleared his bumper and heading for the shoulder on the high side of the road where it was 'cruddier' and I guessed (correctly) traction was better. Yes, the wheels were spinning, but I wasn't sliding into the other cars. It really didn't fishtail or crab as much as I had feared.

The pickup gently landed against a Camry. Actually, there was two CHP officers walking along the line of cars, since they had just closed the road, and they just had to stand and watch this occur. (Not much discussion about fault I suppose.)

The only discussions i find instructive, are when one vechicle is 'pitted' against another (the montero sport discussed earlier?), but even then the tires and loading may totally overshadow the impact of the 4WD control system.

just FWIW, I've got a 2001 Ford 4x4 F250 TurboDiesel, and can tell you I MUCH prefer the MDX in the snow and ice for driveability, at least until it gets to be 12". Anything over that, give me the 4x4 with 4 sets of cables...

Ard

21 - 24 of 24 Posts