Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only experience this while parking (or similar). steering is without assist at this speed. This developed maybe 15,000 miles ago and seems to be getting worse. I would comdemn the power steering pump or the rack but could use some help..Steering is fine on the road..

·
Registered
968 Posts
Power steering problem. Have a dealer check it out assuming it's still under warranty.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I have the same problem and reported it to the stealership and they said it was normal. I am just about out of warranty 49,690 miles. I am going to take it back and complain one more time.

I did attempt to report this once to mdxers.org and the "smarter" members tried to tell me it was because it's a sporty SUV so the steering is stiff on purpose. They ignored the fact that the MDX has speed assist steering and at lower speeds it should "assist" more than not at all. I gave up. Sorry that you have the same problem.

·
Registered
640 Posts
have you done the obvious checks? Is the belt tight and not slipping? Is your PS fluid at the proper level? If not, fill it and check for leaks.

·
Registered
612 Posts
They ignored the fact that the MDX has speed assist steering and at lower speeds it should "assist" more than not at all.
Do we really? I always thought that the steering was stiffer at slower speeds because of it's "sportyness". So much so, I am used to the turning the steering wheel with the palm of my hand and I can NOT do it with the MDX. Need to either lock in my fingers in the steering wheel, or use 2 hands.
hmmm...now you have me worried...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Wow, this post got brought back from the dead. For those looking for help now and down the line with this issue, here is what I found after buying a 2008 MDX a few months ago with 145k kms.

I found the steering to be heavy, and spotty as far as the power assist sometimes. You could tell the somthing wasn’t quite right.

1) the power steering fluid was very dirty. I flushed the entire system. This means running a hose to the return line, fire up the vehicle and start turning the wheel to empty the system. You can see how to do this in the workshop manual if you have it, or there is a good video from “Erik the car guy” on how to do it as well. Huge improvement once this is done.

2) looking at the service history of this car, which was all done by Acura, this vehicle had the PS flush done twice already, close to 50k kms intervals. So Honda might claim it’s a lifetime fluid, but the service team seems to know better. It’s supposed to be at least checked at every B service anyway.

3) while the fluid flush made a world of difference, the steering in this car is still very heavy. It’s not sporty, it’s heavy. It’s just the way it is, and a very definite decision by Honda. I think it’s too heavy, but others may like it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.